ID:154555

Well, BYOND does, anyway.

I'm just posting this as a prompt to people working up games...think about whether there might be a reasonable way for you to set up a pay model.

Most people seem to be working on free games, which is a great thing for the BYOND player community, but doesn't help Dantom buy hamburgers to fuel those all-night coding sessions.

As shown in DragonSnot, you don't have to cut off access to you game to charge for it. You can charge for some forms of more convenient access...

Anyway, something to think about.
Good point.

My upcoming game is kind of a "lite MUD" and should support a feature unheard of in my works to date: savefiles! If the initial reaction is good and it turns out to be "sticky" enough to bring players back for more, I plan to add some kind of modest payment system--maybe a couple BYONDimes a week, with no fee during the weeks players sit out.

(It's not Hiawathaland--that's currently next on the list.)

FYI, my infrequent random 1-dime donation prompt in SpaceTug has brought in 70 cents so far! My thanks to both players who contributed.
In response to Gughunter
On 5/31/01 5:04 pm Gughunter wrote:
Good point.

My upcoming game is kind of a "lite MUD" and should support a feature unheard of in my works to date: savefiles! If the initial reaction is good and it turns out to be "sticky" enough to bring players back for more, I plan to add some kind of modest payment system--maybe a couple BYONDimes a week, with no fee during the weeks players sit out.

(It's not Hiawathaland--that's currently next on the list.)

FYI, my infrequent random 1-dime donation prompt in SpaceTug has brought in 70 cents so far! My thanks to both players who contributed.

ok my game is going to be killer cool.. and im chargeing 10 dimes a week to play on the members server.. it is still top secret seing as i have everything but the space system done.. the space system is going to be a text courd system with alot of twists.. i am paying an icon guy 1dime per tile.. so it better be worth it.. the thing is i cant have the game up till dantom is ready for BYOND to go compleatly public.. i have had tests run and it show it will get about 100k hits per day and 75k hitting the (false) link to the place to get the game. anyone helping with the space system will learn what the game is and will also get an equil share of 70% of the profet.. oh yeah im still drunk
In response to jobe
i have had tests run and it show it will get about 100k hits per day and 75k hitting the (false) link to the place to get the game.

False link? Why would you want to steer interested people away from the game? And where will the link go? This isn't one of those "The Giver/The Receiver" tricks, is it?
In response to Gughunter
On 5/31/01 5:57 pm Gughunter wrote:
i have had tests run and it show it will get about 100k hits per day and 75k hitting the (false) link to the place to get the game.

False link? Why would you want to steer interested people away from the game? And where will the link go? This isn't one of those "The Giver/The Receiver" tricks, is it?

its realated but not my product (noone but me you and someothers know what i am doing)
Anyway, something to think about.

Which reminds me, I was going to prepare a file on the different ways you could extract payment from your victims... er, players. But I never got around to it.

It's Listed.