just the basic operating system
or the "engine" as some would say

guess im saying
help me make the final fantasy turn based battle engine please

ok
fireking
On 5/16/01 10:17 am FIREking wrote:
i wonder how i should go about doing this
well, let's try to wake this thread up and toss ideas :)

should i make a statpanel showing the menu like final fantasy
maybe..maybe not, though it's an option...I would think to maybe create a "menu" tileset (only takes 9 icons..maybe 36 more to get text going)...

how should i display huge mobs, when you enter a battle scene
this is easy..you just split them into a large set, then make one of them the "master"...it can hold HP, synch damage, and let the whole thing 'die' at once

how would i make it turn based?
There's a nice turn-based-game library that might help

does anyone wanna help me make it?
Probably not me, unless you get it off the ground...I've tried my hand at too many battle systems in RM2k and learned that it's best to make battle systems that meld with the language...I have a few problems I will point out at the end of the reply

it will be plug and play kind of
Much harder said than done...not easy to deal with weird-sized creatures, or strange events

guess im saying

ok
fireking

To get one working, you have to deal with several issues:

1) HUGE one..w.hat happens on the map while combat is going on? IN a 1-player game (like FF), that doesn't matter, but in a MUD, it becomes important..maybe jsut freeze all the characters int eh fight, or something like that, but we're talking ugly now...

2) how to make menus that aren't cheezy...using a stat panel is cheezy...adding tile-based menus with tile-based letters is a coder's nightmare

3) Synch with game. Since combat would be on its own map, things may happen that should synch up..like someone tries to attack you while your'e in combat...etc...coding gets uglier and uglier

just my 2 cents
In response to Abraxas

1) [snip]

2) [snip]

3) [snip]

just my 2 cents

Looks like three cents to me. ;-)
In response to Spuzzum
On 5/16/01 3:33 pm Spuzzum wrote:

1) [snip]

2) [snip]

3) [snip]

just my 2 cents

Looks like three cents to me. ;-)

No, if you look more closely, you'll notice that points 1 and 3 are actually in fact only 0.37 cents apiece, and point 2 is 1.26.
It seems to me that battle systems in general seem to be a bit of a sore spot; at any rate, there appeared to be a few problems with the ones I've tried out, although I dunno, maybe they were designed that way. Possibly a compromise system is in order; a turn-based, menu-driven battle system that works on the standard map (combatants just sit there and take turns selecting attacks, possibly from a pop-up tile menu) would still be tricky to implement, but would avoid most of the major hurdles inherent to a Final Fantasy-style interface, and would still result in a very smoothly playing combat engine.

guess im saying

ok
fireking

Hi,

I'm working on a d20 rules based text mud. Most of what I need is already developed. However, I will need a combat engine that will be very much like yours. Lets both work on it. I will have a combat overvew that we can start from soon. I think this may be the best solution:

Author: Leftley
Date: 5/16/01 5:17 pm
Topic: Re: question, making a final fantasy battle system.....

It seems to me that battle systems in general seem to be a bit of a sore spot; at any rate, there appeared to be a few problems with the ones I've tried out, although I dunno, maybe they were designed that way. Possibly a compromise system is in order; a turn-based, menu-driven battle system that works on the standard map (combatants just sit there and take turns selecting attacks, possibly from a pop-up tile menu) would still be tricky to implement, but would avoid most of the major hurdles inherent to a Final Fantasy-style interface, and would still result in a very smoothly playing combat engine.

Lefty is correct I think. This type of system would work well for both of us.

P.S. FIREKing could you send me the code for your Magic Battle Final game please? What do you have dome so far on your FF game?

Thanks for all the help.

questlarp.
In response to Abraxas
On 5/16/01 10:24 am Abraxas wrote:
well, let's try to wake this thread up and toss ideas :)

maybe..maybe not, though it's an option...I would think to maybe create a "menu" tileset (only takes 9 icons..maybe 36 more to get text going)...

this is easy..you just split them into a large set, then make one of them the "master"...it can hold HP, synch damage, and let the whole thing 'die' at once

There's a nice turn-based-game library that might help

Probably not me, unless you get it off the ground...I've tried my hand at too many battle systems in RM2k and learned that it's best to make battle systems that meld with the language...I have a few problems I will point out at the end of the reply

Much harder said than done...not easy to deal with weird-sized creatures, or strange events

guess im saying

ok
fireking

1) HUGE one..w.hat happens on the map while combat is going on? IN a 1-player game (like FF), that doesn't matter, but in a MUD, it becomes important..maybe jsut freeze all the characters int eh fight, or something like that, but we're talking ugly now...

2) how to make menus that aren't cheezy...using a stat panel is cheezy...adding tile-based menus with tile-based letters is a coder's nightmare

3) Synch with game. Since combat would be on its own map, things may happen that should synch up..like someone tries to attack you while your'e in combat...etc...coding gets uglier and uglier

just my 2 cents

i have an idea! ok first off the FF fighting never really touch the other Mobs this is good. second in FF fighting the players char is always in the same place and never touch another char this is also good. so what you do is make the icon states of each fighting area and have a state that is the char moving thought it (or part of the char..) so what im saying is that each char is 1x2 icon.. and ech tile in between would hold a pic of that char moving thorught it. and there would be a new map for every monster. becase every monster would have to have its own icons and icon movement that would each also hold the char moving thought it.. so your background would be a normal bitmap (you should make them dowmload all this first) and each you would have to lay a transparent object that changes to the right icon over top of that.. the hard part is the timeing.. and the fight system would not be hard at all considering you dont need to make your mob move at all just go transparent when the objects start to make it look like it is moving.. the codeing is not the hard part.. its getting the icons to move corectly.. put i have a basic layout im thinking of now..
In response to questlarp
number one
no, you will never see my code in your entire life unless you buy it off of me

number two
i have this final fantasy business settled, but thanks for you ideas
In response to FIREking

Don't fret, Questlarp... check out the "Developers" links on the left-hand frame. Plenty of tutorials and sample code. I especially recommend checking out A Step BYOND and the Guide.
In response to FIREking
On 5/18/01 10:58 am FIREking wrote:
number one

number two
i have this final fantasy business settled, but thanks for you ideas

Ohhhhhhhh...greedy greedy
Howabout if he ever asks any of us a question, we ask for a percent of the profits???? LOL

okokok..I'm just kidding...but I think I'm gonna end up making my game opensource ot everyone except those who don't have their game opensource *sniggers*
In response to Abraxas
On 5/16/01 10:24 am Abraxas wrote:

What a browser based menu? You could make the menu look exactly like the FF menus. Of course, you'd have to create webpages on the fly to alter the menu options...

Here's a nightmare scenerio: using DM code to produce character specific browser based menus in HTML with javascript for that extra flair. At least it wouldn't look cheesy ;)

To perpetuate the FF parallel, All the creatures in the battle could be moved off the world map into a specific battle map. Every action on the battle map would be controlled through the menu system. After the battle, any survivors would be returned to their original location on the world map.

The map area would correspond to the action display (top half of the screen) in Final Fantasy games, while the browser window corresponds to the menu area.
In response to Shadowdarke

To perpetuate the FF parallel, All the creatures in the battle could be moved off the world map into a specific battle map. Every action on the battle map would be controlled through the menu system. After the battle, any survivors would be returned to their original location on the world map.
That's a good idea... I considered it for my Ultima-style game... a good addition is to create a "battle" icon on the map, A) so that people can see where a battle is taking place and join in, and B) to ensure that the square is open after the battle.
In response to LexyBitch
when you get into a fight
your body turns into a figure
people can walk up to that figure
and right click you
and join right in the middle of the battle
very very cool

also
all the menu's will pop up, on the map screen, we have made all the icons necessary to construct any possible menu in the game, except for all the names of the monsters of course, that would take years
In response to Gughunter
On 5/18/01 11:27 am Gughunter wrote:

Don't fret, Questlarp... check out the "Developers" links on the left-hand frame. Plenty of tutorials and sample code. I especially recommend checking out A Step BYOND and the Guide.

Thanxs Gug,

I always had the game structure and theme. I think I have most of what I need from the tutorials, libraries and forums. I even have a great idea about the different ways to implement it all. I need help tying it all together.
An example of the problem I am having is:
I would like the maze program to build to generate the maze upon running the program instead of when the player first steps into the maze. I would also like to have the maze area saved as a perm part of my world. I’m close to working it out but learning DM is a step-by-step process. I'm better at seeing what is at our disposal and figuring out how best to use it. The examples from these forums have been the most help to me.
I am really trying to structure the rogue game at the moment.
I think we have all that we need to put that one together.
The coding is all here I have found a good example of how to implant all of the various components. I hope when I put it all together it works.
I would really like someone to work with me on a generic base for the game. When we are done we will donate it to the library and then slap together our own games.
If you are interested, or anyone ells for that matter please let me know.
Thanks,

Questlarp