ID:154622

I've been reading a lot lately (actually, every day for the past couple of years) about assigning priorities to commands. To take a MUD example - if the server starts experiencing lag then the command que will process commands with the highest priority (like combat) and delay processing less critical commands (like item decay).

I'm wondering it something like this can be done in BYOND and if so, how :).
On 7/24/00 11:59 pm Gabriel wrote:
I've been reading a lot lately (actually, every day for the past couple of years) about assigning priorities to commands. To take a MUD example - if the server starts experiencing lag then the command que will process commands with the highest priority (like combat) and delay processing less critical commands (like item decay).

I'm wondering it something like this can be done in BYOND and if so, how :).

I'm setting up my game system to do this. All actions are controlled by the GameController. It will first tell the playerController to process player move commands. Then it tells the zoneController that it can have X actions this tick for spawning mobs and loading maps and such, in order to spread out the work. The zoneController then gives each zone a portion of those actions to use up...

My theory (untested) is that I can have the GameController check the real world time between actions. If the real world time has gone over one tick, then the GameController doesn't allow any more things to be done.

I leave it to Dantom to tell me if this approach will work...