ID:154629

Okay, since I'm redoing the code from scratch and Lady Z and Deadron got me interrested in browswer pages, I'm trying to find out how to incorporate it for character creation and on-line world building.

Does anyone have a short example I can use? I learn better when I have an example to look at. What I'm looking for is something that produces a four or five line long page where I can click on a value to change it.

Thanks!

Gabriel
On 6/29/00 5:33 pm Gabriel wrote:
Okay, since I'm redoing the code from scratch and Lady Z and Deadron got me interrested in browswer pages, I'm trying to find out how to incorporate it for character creation and on-line world building.

Does anyone have a short example I can use? I learn better when I have an example to look at. What I'm looking for is something that produces a four or five line long page where I can click on a value to change it.

Thanks!

Gabriel

Okay I'll head over to Code & Demos and provide something from my code (I love this stuff!)
On 6/29/00 5:33 pm Gabriel wrote:

Deadron has a nice example waiting in the code & demos board. For a different approach, you can also look at the
SubmitLink Library. It tries to manage the dirty work of Topic() links and such by handling forms through callbacks. The form examples output by SubmitLink are sent to the browser, so you can use it to make custom control pages and the like.

Of course, now with the new object-oriented Topic() even this kind of thing isn't that tricky, so there's another option altogether. One of us will have to try it out and see if it's a clean approach.
Speaking of browser pages. Is there some way to refresh a page while keeping the user at the spot on the page they were on? I have some long browser pages, and it's annoying to keep having to scroll back down after they refresh.

Z
In response to Zilal
On 7/4/00 11:57 am Zilal wrote:
Speaking of browser pages. Is there some way to refresh a page while keeping the user at the spot on the page they were on? I have some long browser pages, and it's annoying to keep having to scroll back down after they refresh.

Z

I haven't tried it, but I'm guessing you could use anchors for this. An HTML anchor is a simple tag:

_a name="myAnchor"_ _/a_

(How are people managing to show brackets in their postings???)

So if you append the anchor to a regular link, like so:

href="myPage.html#myAnchor"

It will jump the page to myAnchor.

Now the trick is knowing where they were looking at on the page. However if the refresh is occurring due to a link clicked on from the page, then you have a hint to use.
In response to Deadron
Oh, you're right... that would work... but I can't think of a way to do it without putting in lots and lots of anchors. So I guess I'll just suffer.

Z
In response to Deadron
_a name="myAnchor"_ _/a_

If you want to make a tag appear, just change every first < into the symbol &lt (including closing tags)... the problem is, any replies will make the tag break, because the forum does some... different... things with the submission.

Eg. the link <a href="http://spuzzum.virtualave.net/byond/">Click me!</a> will appear as a hyperlink when this post is replied to.
In response to Spuzzum
On 7/5/00 4:46 am Spuzzum wrote:
Eg. the link Click me! will appear as a hyperlink when this post is replied to.

I just had to test it.