Excuse my badly drawn cosine graph.

Is it possible? If so, how?
By dividing within the cosine function (e.g. cos(x/3)) you can increase the wavelength between the waves, but I don't think there's any way you'll get anything near as drastic as what you've drawn there. The second drawing looks more like a square wave than a sine wave.

What you're trying to get isn't really lengthening the wavelength either. It's more like stunting the apex of the sin wave.

One option is taking an odd root of the function. Cubing for example would tend to pull values close to 1 farther away from 1, whereas you want to push values away from 0, so a cube root could do the trick. (You might need some special logic to account for the 0 case, possibly also the negative cases, depending on how the math is implemented.)

Another option is to feed one sine wave into another. sin(x + sin(2x)/2) produces some fatter peaks.
In response to Lummox JR
To generate the functions in my post, take a sigmoid -1<=s(x)<=1 where roughly f(0)=0, f(1)=1, f(-1)=-1, and feed cos(x) to it to get the function s(cos(x)). This works because f(cos(x)) would 'stay' at the 1 or -1 when cos(x) is close to 1 or -1 respectively, and rapidly approach 0 as cos(x) approaches 0.

Incidentally you can take apart the function sin(x+sin(2x)/2) in the same way; sin(x+sin(2x)/2)=sin(x+sin(x)cos(x)), which is f(sin(x)) for f(x)=sin(arcsin(x)+x*cos(arcsin(x)) - a nice sigmoid in -1 to 1.
In response to Toadfish
That's an interesting technique. Using sigmoids actually you have a lot of flexibility.

In a sigmoid, s(nx) = s(x)^n / (s(x)^n + s(-x)^n), where s(-x) = 1 - s(x).

If you take sin(x) and rescale it into a sigmoid 0 to 1 range, you can apply this formula to push the values further out toward the extremes.

y = sin(x)
s = (y+1)/2

y' = 2(s^n / (s^n + (1-s)^n))) - 1
y' = 2((y+1)^n / ((y+1)^n + (1-y)^n))) - 1

n = 2
y' = 2((y+1)^2 / ((y+1)^2 + (1-y)^2))) - 1
y' = 2((sin^2(x) + 2sin(x) + 1) / (2sin^2(x) + 2)) - 1
y' = (sin^2(x) + 2sin(x) + 1) / (sin^2(x) + 1) - 1
y' = 2sin(x) / (sin^2(x) + 1)

You can use any value of n, though n=2 is simplest if you want a nice easy formula.