ID:155292

Is there a library where this is done? If not, how would i go about doing it? I need a verb to let me choose a file(Which i can do) and copy that file(fcopy id assume) and place it in the games .dmb directory. This last part i have no idea how to do. I would like to be able to do this without the host being present(so i can update without them there) and then when it finished, I would have it call the Reboot() proc.
You can't update the RSC without compiling, which you can't do while the game is running (the RSC will be locked). You can, however, copy the file into the server's temporary resource cache by using fcopy_rsc(). The is also implicitly done when you, for example, set an atom's icon to the result of a file() call. This does not require a reboot.
In response to DarkCampainger
DarkCampainger wrote:
You can't update the RSC without compiling, which you can't do while the game is running (the RSC will be locked). You can, however, copy the file into the server's temporary resource cache by using fcopy_rsc(). The is also implicitly done when you, for example, set an atom's icon to the result of a file() call. This does not require a reboot.

I'm trying to find a way to compile my source on my end, and then replace the .rsc on the hosts computer. That way i dont have to wait for the host to come on, and get the new recources. The goal would to be able to use a verb, select my newly compiled recources file, and transfer to the main directory on the host's computer and then reboot. Would the fcopy_rsc() proc do this while the server is running? I couldn't imagine it working especially if i have updated the code and need that to work aswell. Forgive my lack of knowlege on this subject. I'm still working on my first byond project.
In response to Lavitiz
You can't replace the RSC file while the game is running. Resources get locked while the game is running and trying to replace the file will either give you an access denied error or simply fail to update the file properly. Best you can do is upload the files as a temporary copy, shut the game down, and use another service (can be made in DM too) to replace the existing files and start the game back up.
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
You can't replace the RSC file while the game is running. Resources get locked while the game is running and trying to replace the file will either give you an access denied error or simply fail to update the file properly. Best you can do is upload the files as a temporary copy, shut the game down, and use another service (can be made in DM too) to replace the existing files and start the game back up.

So, it would be impposible to get the game up without the host being there? Unless i used like.... What is that stuff called? I've used this stuff when i pay for hosting. Had to use a FTP client for the file transfers and Putty for the rest. Basically, i cant get the game up without some more advanced setup, right?
In response to Lavitiz
When I update my game I simply upload the DMB and RSC file via SFTP and overwrite the existing files. I then reboot the game.
Works absolutely fine every time.
In response to Murrawhip
Murrawhip wrote:
When I update my game I simply upload the DMB and RSC file via SFTP and overwrite the existing files. I then reboot the game.
Works absolutely fine every time.

Would that be possible to do that with my host, without all the setup and configuration? Also, my host is human, just so everybody knows. =P