ID:1555444

Not Feasible
Applies to:Website

Implementing this feature is not possible now or in the foreseeable future
I was looking at the byond classified ads section today and the thought occurred to me. Why don't we add a chatbox at the bottom? I mean having the formal request for either paid/unpaid work in writing is nice but I think with a simple chatbox it turns that section into a marketplace for developers looking for developers. It would be a lot easier to simply communicate with someone on a chatbox and make arrangements.

ie.

WeabooGamesInc: Looking for Pixel Artist[Paid].
Pixel Artist A: Yeah? I am a pixel artist what does the job entail.
WeabooGamesInc: I'm looking for someone to do base work for a side-scrolling game. Do you have a work sample?
Pixel Artist A: Sure I do *insert link to sample pixel art work*

I realized today there are quite a few people looking for developers to join them in their endeavors. By simply adding in some kind of chatbox widget I think we could improve the efficiency of that section. In combination with the forum formatted listing so people can see your forum request.
My main issue with that is moderation. While we do have cover in most timezones, I'm not sure we quite want to get into having an active observant moderation presence on a chat around the clock.

As it is, replies to the ads at the moment result in a pager conversation, which is essentially a more private version of what you've suggested.
By moderation are you referring to filtering profanity? That is rather simple to do however people can always find ways to get around profanity filtering as for nudity I think the people of our community can handle a simple chatbox without scarring a small child.

My point is it would be nice to have a more real time interaction with other developers.
I mean more general, active moderation. Barring trolls, pruning particularly unhelpful members from the chat etc. The kind of things you'd need to keep the chat on point and productive for people looking to find fellow developers.

Currently we prune anywhere from 5 to 50 messages per day on the forums. A chat has a more instantaneous response factor, that requires a more active moderation.
Trolls are going to troll. Pruned messages aside there is still plenty of negative people on the forums, daily. Negativity is expected its the internet people feel safe in the comfort of their homes and say as they please but I don't think it should deter us from doing things. I saw one individual take the time to spam another individuals game hub with the F word in a childish act of meaningless hatred, has seeing this ruined the commenting tool for the hub for me? No. As for staying on topic I think if people come to the section they would come with the intent of looking for like minded individuals they will try for the most part to stay on topic.

Would they/could they get out of hand? Sure. Barring trolls is quite literally an impossible task. Why fight something you cannot control. Well you can try to but essentially they will penetrate your defenses.
Within the domain of these main forums, we do police that kind of thing. And a chat would also have those same considerations.

Considering reply to classified ad at the moment spawns a pager conversation, I don't really think there's enough pay-off of a chat specifically, to justify the extra moderative considerations. Your main gain is ... cross-discussion? Which depending on how you feel about other developers poaching someone you're in the middle of discussions with, may well be more of a negative than it is a positive.
Classified Ads used to be a constant source of negativity and in general was a horrible place to be. That's why responses are no longer in the thread. 95% of classified ads were people being made fun of for their request prior to that change.
The maker of the thread could always get an option to delete comments
I was referring to a unilateral chat box in the actual forum section not a chatbox in the specific topic. @Zagros5000

And I see...@Ter13...
I think the best option is for the requestor to create a sub forum in their game and ask interested parties to apply there; giving the hub owner access to deal with any unnecessary comments on their own terms.
Nadrew resolved issue (Not Feasible)