ID:1557491

Applies to:Dream Seeker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Currently, the client renders at the same FPS as the FPS it will send movement commands to the server

This means if you want the game to render at 60 FPS (i.e look smooth at all), the server will die horribly as it has to handle all the verbs
I use a 40fps world setting, and write my own event scheduler to reduce the frequency of logical calls.

It would be a lot nicer if the engine were able to queue verbs up and operate the scheduler using world.tick_lag, and was able to render according to world.fps.

Of course, that would create the issue of not being able to perform visual updates between logical frames.

We'd need some kind of proc/verb setting to differentiate verbs between logical and visual.

20fps:

40fps:

The trouble you end up running into is basically that there's no way to interpolate pixel movement cleanly. The animation either has to look a bit chunky, or you have to delay between movements causing a less-responsive control scheme.
The idea of logical frames goes out the window anyways when network lag comes into the picture
There's not really a functional difference between handling verbs at a 60 FPS rate and handling them at a lower rate; they're handled as they come in. If verb spammage is really an issue, that can be alleviated partly by redesigning some of them (like movement commands) or by putting in traps in the verbs to bail out if new commands are received too soon.
Of course there's more going on than just verbs, which can limit things.
Theres also the scheduler, which seems to freak the hell out at too high FPSes

Theres a reason that most SS13 servers run at 11 FPS, any more and the whole thing likes to fireball under load
I suspect SS13 is freaking out the scheduler largely because it's spawning a crapload of procs. But it's understandable that would be a concern.
All those spawns are extremely difficult to track down however, and lots of them are necessary in places to not accidentally step over the recursion limit in extreme cases, which for some bloody reason counts as a "critical error" and shuts down the entire server after 5 of them
If i'd have to make a guess, there's roughly 10,000 calls per 2 seconds.