ID:1558670

As for now I am not really into BYOND programming language (can we call it a language? I think so) and it's development, I'd like to know how's this going because the last time I checked it was 2/3 years ago.

I'd like to know how's this doing and if it's doing good I might start using the actual engine instead of just playing rips (lol :x).

The last time I checked there was a "big" cons that made BYOND laggy, I mean the server-side movement thing. Is it still as before or not? If it is, are the developers thinking of getting rid of it or is there a way that the programmers can get rid of it?

How's BYOND standalone game development going? Is it already done? Can everyone use it?

I heard something about flash version of BYOND? Is that true? When are the developers thinking of releasing it?

I also have a different question. Are the resources and the PDF thing to learn the language updated? If not, where or how should I start learning it?

Are there more appealing news that could make me enter "BYOND Programming World"? If so, tell me them!

Thanks. =)
1) There has been no change to the server-sided movement, but they are working on multithreading that should make things more stable. Either way, lag is very minimal if you handle your code in an intelligent way; most people that complain about lag from the engine itself don't know what they're talking about.

2) The standalone client is ready and available to everyone. For an example, check out the NEStalgia client.

3) The Flash client has been cancelled in lieu of the upcoming HTML5 client (read more about that here).

4) A lot of the resources haven't been updated and probably never will. Your best bet is to download some libraries and demos and just mess around with the language. The F1 help guide is always a good solution if you don't understand how a procedure or any other native function works. Failing that, the community forums are full of helpful members that would be glad to point you in the right direction with anything you need.

Hope that helped!
It seems like there are some new already and some to come, I might be interested in starting BYOND programming, the real problem now is how I am going to start it (nvm, I will create another post asking on how people did to learn it and what's the most effective way of doing it).

I'd like to know what do you mean "code in an intelligent way". (I probably do understand, but I want to make sure because I can't express it correctly using words :x)
In response to Dragonfabio
Dragonfabio wrote:
(nvm, I will create another post asking on how people did to learn it and what's the most effective way of doing it).

http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=808851

So you don't waste time making a new post.