ID:156032

Ok well I'm a spriter so i have no idea what anything about the isometric view maping,i have a questions hoping some of u coders can answer them for me.

Do i need to make a column 128x64,or does coding it allow one to stack the 64x64 cubes(sorry i suck at explaining things ill use a pic for an example)

Sadly, yes you have to make a new turf for each height. Only one turf can occupy a space at a time in byond, so placing a tile on top of it would just replace the tile below it. I think games like FFT were made in a way where they could stack their tiles if I’m not mistaken. It was a while back when I started my isometric research and I am sure I read that somewhere.

Also, I wouldn't make "bridge" type tiles where a mob could be under or over it, unless your programmer knows he can deal with it. I thought of a good few problems that would arise and I would have a hard time dealing with so I decided not to go that route.
In response to Twin II
Thanks Twin II,well still at very beginning of development,so finding that out early will help future frustrations

i also saw something about iso here on byond but the programmer i think wrote it was possible to make mob stand under another,but for now ill just close the underneath the bridge with a gate
In response to MademanOne
Oh it's entirely possible, but it's just the number of problems that arises from it, in other aspects of the game, that will be very unpleasant to solve.
You can use your 64 x 64 and stack it, but you need a new turf code for it to set its pixel_z to 32, and you need to use objects unfortunately (every time i used a turf for each different hieght and stacked, the turfs underneath dissappeared.).

I did try to amke an fft game too, but i was using the fft icons for players, because we dont have any decent sprite artists in our team. Yet. And at the time, i wasn't as good a coder as i am today, and was unable to figure out the battle techniques required. :(
In response to Darkoro
Ehh hope my coder can do it >_< ur bringing me down D:
In response to MademanOne
Sorry D: That wasn't my intention.

Message to twin II: Would you be able to create a library with your battle system (the moving and ranges in it) once you finish your project? I think that its use would help the quality of BYOND's games increase. Just a personal opinion, and obviously, you dont have to give out your work. :)
In response to Darkoro
Yea, I think I should. For the most part, I think I have mashed out more of the harder parts of a tactical isometric rpg engine in DM than others.

My engine was designed in the best possible way I could think of. The movement, spell range, ect. are actually completely customizable; whereas, I could make an ability that hits in any possible location pattern I would want. Like custom spell that hits people in an area that looks like TWIN (my uber doom spell). And I could chose if the ability should obey line of sight rules, obey movement rules, or even ignore certain rules.(think AOE type spells that come from above.)

I definitely think it would benefit byond. Although I would be sad to see a bunch bleach or naruto tactical rpgs or whatever (I love anime still).

But I have a bad programming habit of not commenting anything, ever. My professors have docked points from my work because of it. Although, I think my code is definitely easy to follow, and they agree as well.

Maybe when I finish (or give up) on the project I can work on making a library. I know I should give back to byond after learning so much about programming from great programmers here and it lead to me becoming a computer science major years later.
In response to Darkoro
Yea I also thought of the similar way with objects lol. But I foresaw mapping would be almost impossible.