ID:1563286

In about a couple days I'm gonna go over to my dad's house for like 6 months, so during that time, I thought I would try my hand at making a game in byond.

The thing I am mainly wondering is, would people find this a nuisance. I want them to have to type out everything (ie. kill, cut wood, sell sword etc...) instead of clicking it in the little window. Instead I was gonna save the clicking for an explanation of the skill.

When they clicked on an ability, they would get something like.
Example: Woodcutting - A skill in which you can get logs from trees. Usage: cut [type] tree.

It's basucally...a graphical mud i think?

Would people find this...annoying?

Im just hoping for a game where more than 15 people would play my game daily, I'd consider that a win :)
I think it's a bit cumbersome in most cases. It depends on the flow of the game.
When you mouse-over a verb, the status bar at the bottom of the window displays the verb's description and usage. See "desc setting (verb)."
I think he doesn't want verb tabs at all, and he stylistically wants something like an adventure game where you type in commands.
You can loop through your verbs and display them by name and description:
for(var/v in verbs)
src << "[v:name]: [v:desc]"
I'm pretty sure he just wants feedback for it's stylistic merits not actually how to implement. It's like you have ptsd from helping out on those Dev Help threads man.
It would be so annoying that the BYOND engine doesn't really even support it, is what I was getting at.
Course it supports it. Just disable the statpanel in the interface. Or make every verb hidden.
I mean, it's pretty clear by the OP that he still wants to be able to click the verbs in a statpanel. It's just that he wants to change what "clicking the verb" does, which isn't possible using a default statpanel.
To handle typed text it has to be coded pretty much manually to begin with, you'd ideally want them to call procs that deal with what each typed command does.

The verbs would be coded with the pure intention of displaying description information only is my assumption...about how to use the functions, and the available uses of said command...

This is how I understood it anyways...

***But he's not asking how to do it either, he's asking if we think it's a good idea to have a game where all/almost all commands in-game would work by typing it out vs. clicking them in a statpanel...

I personally like the idea of typing it out BETTER than trying to find verbs in a statpanel especially when the game has MANY actions. Some games build on that a little bit hiding verbs which aren't currently available/learned but can still sometimes get overly large and hard to find...

So in some cases, but not all a game with typed commands could work out better than regular statpanel commands.
I'll start asking how when I come across the bridge, rather if I struggle to go across it.

Maybe the statpanel wont be there, or just there for stats (str, dex, etc...) The only verbs I'd have listed anyways are those that pertain to the character's class. Everything else such as,open door, light torch, push X, etc...will be hidden/explained in the tutorial.

Currently don't have a computer, I'm gonna be doing this stuff when I get over to my dad's house. I've tinkered with DM but only could make what was in those tutorials (zm was it? meh, doesnt matter)
I feel that typing verbs would be inappropriate for a graphical MUD. If you were making a text MUD then it would make sense. I don't know though, I used to play Wyvern which involved some typing but was graphical, and that was actually a moderately populated game in its day.

Anyway, there's sort of a stigma associated with statpanels, particularly having verbs in them. So if you can avoid using them, do so. Of course they are incredibly convenient and if you are just starting out it's nice to have so much built-in functionality. However, while a lack of statpanels and verb lists is not a guarantee of >15 players, it will certainly prevent certain people (like me) from being turned off as soon as they look at your game.