Serenos - The Mining Colony

by Laser50
A game about building up and maintaining an underground mining colony, in order to survive.
ID:1566617

This is where I will be posting updates for, and about the game when I feel I have something that is worth posting. Please be aware that the things I name here may be subject to change in the game at any time.
5th of May, 2014
More work in mineral creation, currently having some performance issues with my current set-up, fixed a nasty crash I've been trying to locate for a day now, and am continuing to solve some other strange runtime errors while I'm at it.
After this, I'm not sure what will be added. But we can probably look at spawning, lobbies, mobs, or construction. Construction meaning mineral processing goes first.
10th of May, 2014
Rewrote most of the mineral generation code, with the help of a friend of mine I've managed to surpass a lot of my previous problems, and have obviously learned in the process!
Map generation works, mineral spawning has been re-calculated, and works better than ever!

I am currently still tweaking the code for best performance, currently generating a map of 500x500 (250,000 tiles!) takes 312 seconds. This is a lot, but start-up procedures aren't going to be that much of a problem because on server start-up it immediately begins processing it, and halts the entire server when it's done and no players are on.

Moving on, spawn location now works as intended, there's a 'lobby' in. And with these things started, I can proceed with adding some basic things to make the game semi-playable.
17th of May, 2014
Welp, another week off.. Suprisingly, I haven't been able to get anything done. I've been spending my time gaming, developing my SS13 server, and doing exams.. And more gaming!

I'll see if I can get some work done, but I wouldn't count on it this, or next week. Exams are taking quite some time, so is the other server. And the rest of my life stuff.

Sorry!
28th of May, 2014

And we're back!.. Sort of! I've been busy with SS13, and will remain occupied with that for quite some more time. I am also getting some new games. Tropico 5, Watch Dogs, you name it. So I'll be playing bits and pieces of that.

Any way, I've been doing some small preperations for a basic inventory system, my new plan is to work from what I have, currently that consists of mineral generation. So we'll make an inventory, and some tools so we can start hacking away at these things.

I've also been working on some small stuff that will make the game look nicer, ultimately. Here's a screenshot of some of that, to show you what I mean:

It's looking pretty good, if you can ignore the ability to see the pixels, haha!
I may be requesting a friend of mine to sprite 1 or 2 more versions of these ores, so that we have total randomization, which I think will be important to have.
The same as the above picture has been done to the mineral rocks themselves, which I can't show you because it isn't really that much different.

Any way, I hope that suffices as somewhat of a 'status update', and I am hopeful to bring you more stuff next week-ish!
9th of June, 2014

Welp. My grandfather died last week, so I haven't really bothered myself much with the code.
I did a tiny bit of inventory system and am still figuring out a way to handle cable placement. So nothing for this week, nor next week. Sorry!
16th of June, 2014
Passed exams and shit, had a funeral prior to that, decided to re-take some exams and got meetings with my next school, so I've been a bit busy.

Other than that! I've been taking a look at my (extremely) undeveloped and unfinished design document, and found some things there that I had yet to add.
So now we have battery efficiencies!
It's pretty simple, like in real life, we have efficiency levels on refrigerators and TV's and stuff, rated from A to F.
We're going to keep this a bit simple.
You basically have A, B, C and D in levels. A being 100%, and D being 25% till C, which is 50%.
You may come across batteries having BA as efficiency, this means it's ranging from somewhere between 75 and 100. That's good!
It's fully implemented since.. Well.. Pretty much since writing this update. So yay!
---------------
Other than this, I have not been able to do much. One of the reasons for that is because I have kind of hit a wall, I know what to do, but now how to do them to make them enjoyable and fun enough for others. Stick with me as I try to fight that. But I'm pretty sure the next thing on my list will be mining.
23rd of June, 2014
I'm one day too late. But that was on purpose.
I've been looking at the horrible code that is our world generator, which is still a WIP. But I knew I could do better. And so we started. World generation that used to take 8-9 seconds (On a 100x100 map) now only takes a split second!
To put that into perspective, 1000x1000 used to take forever, you'd probably have to sit there and wait for around 30 minutes and up to get it to finally finish doing that it's doing. At this point, it only takes around 20 seconds! I'd call this an achievement. But it really isn't there yet. And we have a long way to go before we're done with this!
----------------------------------------------------
We have also made the mineral generation look nicer, you'll see what I mean soon enough. But it looks quite good so far!
----------------------------------------------------

What's that? It's nitrobarite! This can be mined, and grinded into a fine powder (Barium Nitrate) to use in all kinds of stuff, in real life, it's used in incendiary ammunition, and thermite bombs. But in this case, we'll be using it for a variety of things, mining explosives can be one of those things.
---------------------
Other than that? Well, there hasn't been a lot of change, Space Station 13 has still been eating my time, and then there's games. And my lack of sleep. But I hope this update brings some faith back into the project!
30th of June, 2014
Okay, time to actually do some shit!
I've introduced a simple inventory system, with objects having a weight, humans having a weight, and a maximum weight. Sounds simple, that's what it is!
---
Mining has been added, provided you have a pickaxe, you can now start mining those rocks/ores! ore drops and whatnot have all been added in to make it work.
---
Wiring system has had a drastic change, the system is much more simple and adaptable for you guys to mess around with, and for once, it actually works! However, it is still trying to work off of the old cables, thus we'll have to replace the entire system some time.
---
And now on to new features, I have one. Conveyor belts!
Here's a silly .gif showing how it works.. With a lot of lag. It runs quite smooth on the game itself, though. No worries!
http://apollo-gaming.org/conveyorbelt.gif
The Sprites used are not ours, and are most likely going to be a placeholder.
Quick post, I am slowly starting to get some time to work on this little project, although it will be kind of a rework, more info coming later.