ID:1570251

BYOND Version:504
Operating System:Windows 7 Home Basic
Web Browser:Chrome 34.0.1847.131
Applies to:Dream Seeker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
DreamSeeker has been experiencing odd frozen window periods that start small, and usually end up freezing the window indefinitely.
It's noticeable when someone "chats" in whatever game you're on. The Output element will start a new line, empty, and the game will freeze for maybe 0.5 seconds (in the beginning) and then the line will fill with whatever text was spoken. This 0.5 seconds will quickly grow as time goes by. While the Output element is frozen, so is the rest of the window. If you click anywhere in the window, Windows will report it as Not Responding, until the freeze is over.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1. Tried deleting and reinstalling BYOND.
2. Clearing cache.

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:

Expected Results:

Actual Results:

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? It starts completely randomly, but once it's started, it doesn't go away - it only gets worse.
In other games? All games.
In other user accounts? Haven't got any.
On other computers? No.

When does the problem NOT occur? After I clear the cache for about 10 minutes.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)

Workarounds:

I have the issue, but only when I spam my chat with about 30,000 plus messages in an infinite loop.
Are you sure this isn't a game issue?
Yeah, the problem occurs on whatever game I'm on and I never had this issue on my old laptop.
I've heard of this issue in output controls but it seems to only happen for some people. IIRC there was something involved about whether the output control had focus.

I actually recommend trying the most recent 506 build to compare. A couple of changes were made for the VS2013 build (as I recall they also apply to the standard build) because the rich edit control in that version was measuring text incorrectly. Maybe that's related to what you're seeing. It's worth taking a look, anyway.
I'd like to add that this isn't a remotely new issue. This is something that happened with Chatters on my fiancée's computer back in 2011. I could never pin down the issue and I haven't seen it happen in quite a while. This led me to believe that it was something the program was doing that was causing the issue.
I only notice this in games using a full screen mode