Harmony Online

by Lavitiz
A fantasy sandbox RPG with a focus on non-linear character progression, intense open-world PvP, and plenty of quests to keep you yearning for more. Are you ready for your action-packed adventure?
ID:1570292

Just a quick post to address any unexpected downtime or performance issues ahead of time.

As of this time, Harmony Online's homepage has been taken offline and several sub-domains will experience major performance issues while development is in progress.

Common Issues
MySQL DB connectivity issues
HTTP 404 Errors
Broken Links
Missing or broken Pages
Problems logging in

The reason for this is because we're abandoning the old website templates, and we're ready to rebuild into one solid core, The Immortal Phoenix Gaming Portal. This way we can use a global website for all future projects and one account database for all of your favorite games.

We do have big plans from the web end to incorporate our database in with all current and future projects.

Account Registration has moved here and should be fully functional with minor interuptions.

Harmony Online Homepage - Offline

Harmony Online Forums - Unaffected

Harmony Online Wiki - Unaffected

The Immortal Phoenix Gaming Portal Homepage - Unstable
Also, I'd like to request that if any of the Guru's here find any exploits, that they contact me via pager and inform me. My web development skills are not very good. Thanks. :3
Have you considered using DMCGI/BYOND to handle logins? If you're catering to a BYOND audience, then it makes sense to avoid forcing (yet another) registration upon them. Also, out of curiosity, since you have a completely independent forum, what purpose is served by registering for the site?
In response to Gakumerasara
Gakumerasara wrote:
Have you considered using DMCGI/BYOND to handle logins? If you're catering to a BYOND audience, then it makes sense to avoid forcing (yet another) registration upon them. Also, out of curiosity, since you have a completely independent forum, what purpose is served by registering for the site?

The idea is to be able to package my project to target an audience outside of BYOND. Considering the fact that keys will no longer be required, a BYOND account will not be required by any means.

Out of curiosity, why would I chose to use DMCGI over the current web standard?

As for the forum being independent, this was just a design choice.

By going the extra mile and creating a web front for my projects, I have even more freedom than I would if I didn't. Not to mention I need a proper way to store data for my player base rather than your usual save files.

How else would I create a subscription based model? There is no way in the world I would ever use a subscription based model and store data in save files. That just doesn't make any sense, and like I said I'm avoiding using anything that pins me down to using Byonds features that revolves around keys.

Do you have a better idea? The only reason I am even using Byond is for the ease of use and getting started. Development speed is much, much faster considering I do not have to create my own Client/Server Framework from scratch.
Oh, and it was also done for the experience. There has to be a first time for everything. <3
In response to Lavitiz
certainly nothing wrong with that; I'm a fan of learning through experimentation.

If you aren't requiring keys, then DMCGI probably isn't the best choice, but I wanted to clarify that you can use databases with DMCGI.

On the surface, your site and forum don't appear to use the same login system. If possible, I would recommend using a single login for both since having multiple logins is generally a turnoff.

It's very nice that you're targeting outside of BYOND.

As far as a subscription-based model, I'm not sure what your exact intention is, but BYOND can handle subscriptions. If you're dead-set against keys, then that won't work for you. But again, you aren't limited to .sav files with BYOND.

What will work best for you depends on what your individual goals are. You can circumvent BYOND's subscription/key/credit system entirely if you like. Personally I would use it because I want to support BYOND and I also don't want to be personally responsible for collecting payments or the legalities involved.
Thanks for the advice. :3 I'm not sure on the subscription model and how that's going to work yet, however my problem with using the same login as the smf forums is that I'd like to use all of the registered accounts with every future project of mine. So we'd have to centralize to a global forum if that is the case as well.

Figuring everything out with a two man team is really tough. =@ That's generally why I don't talk about the project with the community, because opinions are so varied and everything is changing all the time.

I have no idea if you can use databases with DMCGI. :<
In response to Lavitiz
Yeah planning ahead for your future games is a good idea. According to a few developers I follow (outside of BYOND), you need to figure out how you're going to monetize before you get started on the project, otherwise it's just going to be a tacked on afterthought that adds little to the game instead of a meaningful feature.

On an unrelated note, If you're still in doubt as to whether DMCGI works with databases, check out my DMCGI forum which uses data from two separate MySQL databases on different machines.
In response to Gakumerasara
Gakumerasara wrote:
On an unrelated note, If you're still in doubt as to whether DMCGI works with databases, check out my DMCGI forum which uses data from two separate MySQL databases on different machines.

That is actually really impressive. You made this in DMCGI?
In response to Lavitiz
Lavitiz wrote:
That is actually really impressive. You made this in DMCGI?

Thanks, and yeah; if you have any specific questions let me know, but really I just wanted to show you that it's possible.
Alright, I'll keep that in mind. Thank you. :3