In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
Airjoe wrote:
Stephen001 wrote:
Once you understand that, you understand how a HTML5 client, as I understand the solution Tom is exploring, is an integral step in addressing the accessibility of the platform to new gamers, and so, it's viability for new developers.

In your opinion, why isn't the HTMl5 client the top priority in that case?

You didn't ask me, but more than likely a growing pessimism caused by the failure of prior major overhauls (OpenGL, Flash, etc.).

I don't think OpenGL was a major overhaul or failure; well, maybe it was, but they quickly switched to DirectX shortly after releasing the OpenGL client, so I think it's hard to call that one a failure. What I mean is, the work they put in to OpenGL seemed to have paved the majority of the way for using DirectX, and moving away from the old screen drawing, one way or another, was needed.

Seems the whole Flash thing is the same way. Jeez, they never even gave that one a chance to fail, did they. I think it's been "mostly ready" for years now. It's too bad.

My criticism isn't meant to downplay the work Tom and Lummox have put in. I just can't see why they tried to keep the project going with one and a half developers for the past how many years now.

Tom's not wrong when he says the project is effectively complete. You can absolutely make great games with it. The real question is, as Stephen said in other words in this thread or some other one, why would you want to?
Ter13 wrote:
By the time they realize that they were using BYOND wrong, or hadn't learned some very important techniques

Exactly my main concern about the need to teach and lower the barrier to use BYOND.

Stephen001 wrote:
You need to install the platform, register within the platform (realistically) to play games available on the platform.

As most online based games. This is easy and people are used to it. And its even better with BYOND. One account, multiple games. The HTML5 client will not delete that process, people still need to create an account, somehow.

Stephen001 wrote:
I'm happy to note it's not the only step, and learning resources, presentation and platform communication all have parts to play. But without the core platform accessibility issue sorted ... the rest of it is *shrug*.

Windows alone is 85%+ of the computer consumer market. Making it available on Mac and Linux would take care of the rest. Going to a new client will involve new limitations and more work, in every single way.

That development time could have been used for a rewrite(Yes!) or portability improvements and feature upgrades.

The HTML5 client will need so much work to make it behave like the regular VM. Might aswell go for a DM language implementation on top of Dart and its VM. Might take some time but in the end it would be a new BYOND and not some glued BYOND.

In my opinion, BYOND should worry about what it is and improving upon it. Not trying to be something else. Why not add DS into the browser? Like, Flash or WebStart? The "Download and Install problem"? If the game is worth it to someone, it wont be a problem, as always.

If your game is more accessible with HTML5 and it sucks, they will leave just as quickly.

The extra work needed to use HTML5 will not bring people here. There are many other things to do HTML5 games.
This is helping the ones here, the ones that know already, not bringing new people here.

BYOND is waiting for a homerun, like Nintendo, instead of attracting all the indies like Sony and Microsoft; getting a slower but more promising increase in revenue.

The HTML5 client exists. And doesn't need a VM. That's it's point, it's a client. It literally is "DS into the browser".

Only of course, unlike WebStart, you don't need an installed JRE to make it work.

It feels very much like you're essentially naying something, without understanding what it is.

"Making it available on Mac and Linux would take care of the rest." literally means adding a new client. "making it available on iOS" means adding a new client. The HTML5 client is that client.
Then all the issues of HTML5 wont be present?

(Do keep in mind what my main concern has been, not the update. But how BYOND treats itself, not growing, not teaching, not presenting itself better, etc..)

And actually, what my thread is about. No information yet?
Then all the issues of HTML5 wont be present?

What issues with HTML5? You haven't demonstrated that there will be any issues... Or that you know what HTML5 is.
The HTML5 client makes BYOND a much more attractive proposition to /new/ developers, as I explained in another topic. So yes, it is a core, and integral step in making BYOND grow. As I said earlier.
Browser compatibilities, data storage, web audio, webworkers and page stalling, from the top of my head.

The other would be, what are they going to use as the representation/rendering? Canvas? CSS? DOM?
CSS and DOM aren't rendering techniques for 2D games. They haven't mentioned a rendering model yet, my guess is either WebGL or Canvas, as those are the only two real options.

Browser compatbility is a non-issue, as HTML5 is a global standard.

Data storage is a non-issue, as the HTML5 client won't need to store data long-term. It's a thin client.

Web audio is a non-issue, as HTML5 features the very first standardized sound support browsers have ever had, so again, it's a non-issue.

Webworkers and page stalling are non-issues as well. Since the client doesn't have a VM, only the rendering loop and network communication will run in HTML5. Server connectivity is a problem with any approach, and not unique to HTML5.
DOM sprites, http://buildnewgames[dot]com/dom-sprites/

CSS3 rendering, http://www.html5gamedevelopment[dot]com/html5-demos/ 2013-09-alteil-horizons-css3-powered-card-game

HTML5 is not a standard yet. ("In September 2012, the W3C proposed a plan to release a stable HTML5 Recommendation by the end of 2014 and an HTML 5.1 specification Recommendation by the end of 2016.")

All features aren't everywhere.
Check your browser, http://html5test[dot]com/
Check your browser, http://css3test[dot]com/

Wouldn't you want to store data long term? And not delete it easily? But that's also why there is a back-end. Well, the client still needs to have all resources on the VM no?

(Not sure how this takes away the "download and install problem", the user still needs BYONDS VM and an account.)

Web Audio has been the most critiziced game needed feature in all of HTML5, but, maybe its much better now?

So, nothing changes. Non Windows users still need the BYOND VM and run it from a link on a browser, instead of just being able to open the game from the pager. No?
No.

Because the server, that the HTML5 client connects to, is elsewhere.

The same way I don't need the entirety of facebook on my hard-drive, to access facebook.com.
Wouldn't you want to store data long term? And not delete it easily? But that's also why there is a back-end. Well, the client still needs to have all resources on the VM no?

No, the client doesn't use the VM. Only the server. The Server isn't being ported to HTML5, only the client. The client isn't what runs games, it allows players to connect to games. Hosting of games is done via the server. There is no long-term data to store on the client.

DOM sprites isn't widely supported.
CSS3 3D isn't widely supported.

Canvas and WebGL are.

All features aren't everywhere.

No, but it's widely enough supported to hit the *vast majority* of the global browser-share.

the user still needs BYONDS VM and an account.

The user doesn't need BYOND's VM if they are connecting via the HTML5 client. They don't need an account either. They could use a BYOND account, but the developer can also create their own user-handling system using guest keys as a proxy. (They already can.)

Non Windows users still need the BYOND VM and run it from a link on a browser, instead of just being able to open the game from the pager. No?

No. The HTML5 client doesn't require the BYOND software to run. If a player wants to host a server, yes, they need to install BYOND, but if they want to play a hosted game, the HTML5 client allows them to connect to that game without having a BYOND account or the software installed.
http://caniuse.com/#feat=canvas

Canvas support is over 80%. Java support is falling, but at its peak, it was around 80%.

To put this in perspective, the windows OS has about 68% of the global market share.

Essentially, we hit support for 80% of the global user-base by moving to HTML5 while only implementing a single additional client, whereas, targeting ARM/IOS would give us about a 25% market share at the price of two projects, targeting linux would give us around 7% of the marketshare (of users, not servers) at yet another project.

HTML5 gives us more cumulative bang for our buck by giving us rapid deployment capability to the majority of users that currently play online games.

A lot of this stuff is well beyond what I would expect people around these parts currently to know, but it's becoming increasingly obvious that you don't have much familiarity with BYOND itself, the language (DM), game authoring and deployment as a whole, or the internet as a whole.

Tom has been very clear that he doesn't want people waiting on new-fangled features to start developing games, and if they want a more capable environment than the one we already have, they need to move on.

So really, if you are interested in making games with BYOND, go ahead and do it, as the language is way more capable than what it's currently being used on.

As for your repeated questions on what Tom/Lummox plan to do to help teach people how to use their software? Well, that's the people in this thread talking to you. They expect the community to help itself. Those of us that are doing it hang out here. If you are interested in making games, and learning how to use BYOND, we'll gladly help you learn.

If, however, you are just interested in second-guessing Tom and trying to backseat-drive the software suite whilst lacking an argument with substance, I think this conversation adequately demonstrates though, that there's not much of value in this discussion, as one side of it lacks the knowledge about what BYOND is, much less what technologies it could utilize to improve itself.
That means that people will be downloading all the resources all the time they join a game, no?

If data isn't stored on the browser or on BYOND its being sent every time. You need long-term data storage on the players side, someway.

Ter13 wrote:
DOM sprites isn't widely supported.
CSS3 3D isn't widely supported.

Canvas and WebGL are.

DOM sprites run everywhere, its DOM...its everywhere.
CSS3(not 3D, but can be used for 2D and 3D) was the first hardware accelerated thing on the Web!!
It caches the resources in the web browser and also uses IndexedDB when available. It may be the case that this will only work best with Chrome or Dartium be since those will be available everywhere it will still be more cross platform than the current.

The client is thin and the protocol will be open (has to be since it is javascript). Still needs a lot of server support.
In response to 2DExtremeProductions
2DExtremeProductions wrote:
If data isn't stored on the browser or on BYOND its being sent every time. You need long-term data storage on the players side, someway.

We have the technology.

Or you can wait around abit longer and wait for Developous to finish-up his quantum computer.
Exactly! As Tom said.

Ter13 was making it sound like game streaming.

2D, if you want the site to be more newbie friendly, write your own version of the Blue Book. While I'm sure it would be beneficial to new (and potential) developers, Tom and Lummox have more important things to do.

As for everything else you've said in this thread... you sound like a moron. Learn something about what's going on before you start mouthing off please.
Not sure how you come up with me sounding like a moron when what Tom said supported what I have been saying.

Kozuma3 made a "joke" towards me, for no reason. I was right.

"There is no long-term data to store on the client." <- This is wrong. And the push of it(by others) mixed up the conversation.

And by your advice, what would it be that which I have to learn?
Page: 1 2