ID:1573108

So, I've been reading a lot of stuff on the forums lately, and it has raised in my mind what I feel is a great question. What all makes a BYOND Game look like it was made with BYOND 5.0? What are the features that would show BYOND players that BYOND its self has advanced from 2005? or even 2008?

It was recently brought up that most BYOND games look like they were made with the features available in 2005. I believe this is true for the most part.

Now, obviously GUI, controls, and movement are all factors. A few games, even some of the rips, do use on-screen based GUI or some pretty decent interfaces, but that probably only takes them to 2008 at best. Not many games are using pixel movement and what not, which sucks, and would surely help make it look more modern and 5.0 worthy.

What I ask is, what else? What would show off BYONDs current capabilities the best in games made right now? I'm sure animate will be brought up, and I'm interested to see some specifics on that since I haven't quite grasped it yet. I've just seen a lot of cool stuff done with it outside of games, and inside of Alchemist 2.

TL;DR

What, besides GUI, controls, and pixel movement would best show off BYOND's current capabilities in a game made with it right now?
Play my game, even the dem, you will see and know every aspect that my programmer grasp from the 5.0 features, we basically just pushed this 5.0 version to it's breaking point to see how much it can handle, holding up nicely I may add
I wish smart people would try making something neat with matrices.
In response to Kumorii
Kumorii wrote:

The one thing that keeps me from using a lot of them, is that they blur the image like nuts due to a lack of nearest-neighbor interpolation. My style is very much pixel minimalism, so... You know, blurring would really ruin the effect:

http://i.imgur.com/UfCxOFm.gif
All of my small games use matrices. I made each game in under a day (more like a few hours, at most) for a week straight.

Hexagon - Everything you see is transformed in some way.

Endure - Lots of flashy effects. Probably the most fancy-looking of them all, and I haven't gotten a bit of feedback on it.

Sling - The rubber part of the slingshot uses two solid white squares colored black, stretched, and rotated.

Colory - It's all just rotated and stretched.

Diver - Rotation.

Tacoyaki - The circles flip using animate() and transform.

shootah in space - Everything that rotates is rotated using transform.

It's not hard at all to use the effects, but people just don't do it. Is it because no one knows about these features? Or is it because barely anyone actually knows how to write code at all?
In response to Kaiochao
Kaiochao wrote:
It's not hard at all to use the effects, but people just don't do it. Is it because no one knows about these features? Or is it because barely anyone actually knows how to write code at all?

My money's more on lacking the basic math skills to use them without a lot of trial and error. There's also the issue that currently most of the people that write DM code at all don't understand programming, but rather think of functions as "codes" that do things, rather than a series of instructions that contribute to behavior.
In response to Kumorii
Kumorii wrote:

I gave shadow casting a try:
http://www.byond.com/ forum/?post=1376026&page=17#comment7839453

Never got around to finishing it, unfortunately. But, it does show that you can do some neat things with affine transformations.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
Kumorii wrote:

The one thing that keeps me from using a lot of them, is that they blur the image like nuts due to a lack of nearest-neighbor interpolation. My style is very much pixel minimalism, so... You know, blurring would really ruin the effect:

This bears repeating. As-is they're basically only usable for 90 degree increment turns.
In response to MisterPerson
MisterPerson wrote:
Ter13 wrote:
Kumorii wrote:

This bears repeating. As-is they're basically only usable for 90 degree increment turns.

Not true. Scaling up is fine, for the most part, as long as it's an even unit. Inversion, 90-degree turns, and translation's okay as long as you don't use floating-point values.

The annoyance is that means you have to clamp every step of an animation chain with a new matrix, not being able to benefit from the interpolation at all.