ID:1575203

Not Feasible
Applies to:Dream Daemon

Implementing this feature is not possible now or in the foreseeable future
Well, there's not much to explain here. Recently it has come to my attention that child DreamDaemons inherit their parent's process attributes, as Stephen001 has written to me earlier. It becomes an issue when you have multiple child DreamDaemons and they're all spitting out 100MB core dumps that simply eat up disk space over time. Perhaps a feature to forcefully make sure core dumps are turned off? That way the parent DreamDaemon can have a core dump and the child DreamDaemons don't.
Seems like this is a UNIX issue. Whether a core is dumped or not isn't controlled by any part of our code.
Stephen001 resolved issue (Not Feasible)
This is basically UNIX behaviour. A fork()'d process gets a full copy of properties on it, and that's by contract, i.e the OS does that, not BYOND.

If you are fork()ing processes with -suid to be other users, then you could set the following on those users:

ulimit -c 0

To disallow core dumping for them, but keep it for the user your parent process is. Alternatively, again if you are forking processes with -suid (which, from a point of view of security, process rate limiting etc, I recommend anyway), you can set

echo 0 > /proc/sys/fs/suid_dumpable

And set the same appropriate value in etc/sysctl.conf