ID:157636

I have made tons of 3D Bird-Eye view and I have been wondering how to make 2D BYOND games so I searched google and found nothing... please tell me how to make the games 2D!
You mean like... Side Scroller? >.> Everything in byond is 2D.
http://www.byond.com/developer/ forum/?query=%22Side+Scroller%22 <-- Theres many useful links in there of Side Scroller Demonstrations.
If you don't know where to start,
http://www.byond.com/developer/articles/start.

If you are asking about something like a super mario world, your going to have to figure out how to make gravity and stuff but you can just make dense tiles @ the bottom of the map gfoing along
In response to Leur
Leur wrote:
You mean like... Side Scroller? >.> Everything in byond is 2D.
http://www.byond.com/developer/ forum/?query=%22Side+Scroller%22 <-- Theres many useful links in there of Side Scroller Demonstrations.
Not EVERYTHING in byond is 2D... my games are 3D Bird-Eye view...
In response to Narutorox123456
Everything in BYOND is 2-D, Isometric is Pseudo 3D (Fake 3D)
In response to Leur
Leur wrote:
Everything in BYOND is 2-D, Isometric is Pseudo 3D (Fake 3D)
Whatever
Either way, you asked how can you make "2D" Side Scrollers, I told you how.
/thread
Well, due to the amount of lolz I got from your post I will give you "the code".

world{turf=/turf/grass}
mob{icon='youricon.dmi';Login(){world<<"Hello world!"}}
turf/grass{icon='youricon.dmi'}

Congratulations, you now have your first 2D game. Be sure to give me credit, and GM.

Now let's get serious.

Narutorox123456 wrote:
I have made tons of 3D Bird-Eye view and I have been wondering how to make 2D BYOND games so I searched google and found nothing... please tell me how to make the games 2D!

Making a 3D games takes a lot of work, resources, etc. If you are implying you made a 3D game using BYOND that would add the lolz even more. The reason for this is because all BYOND games are 2D. I saw a system that closely imitates a 3D system from onefishdown, but not much otherwise.

Seeing how you "searched Google" and didn't notice the "BYOND Coding Tutorial" maybe you should have searched BYOND. There is also a guide to help you.

Seeing how you have already made "tons of 3D games" this should be no problem. Learning to program may seem hard for the first couple of hours, but DM is simple enough to pick up. Actually make an effort at it, and you might do something.

[Edit] Also, I would like to point out that the "BYOND Coding Tutorial" link from Google would not be a good place to start. It makes terrible use of many features including the object tree. I would recommend articles, and ZBT.
In response to Ulterior Motives
Ulterior Motives wrote:
Well, due to the amount of lolz I got from your post I will give you "the code".

> world{turf=/turf/grass}
> mob{icon='youricon.dmi';Login(){world<<"Hello world!"}}
> turf/grass{icon='youricon.dmi'}
>

Congratulations, you now have your first 2D game. Be sure to give me credit, and GM.
That didn't work for a 2D game because all I get is a Bird-Eye view sort of thing... so no credit and no gm!
Top down view is 2D. If you mean side scroller perspective I have a small demo that's in it's early release stages.
In response to Ulterior Motives
I'd suggest a few minor changes to that demo. At the very least, I think it's nice to be able to have platforms that can be walked through or stood on. For example, a platform put on the bottom level of the demo (right above the ground) would be impassable, even though you could realistically walk through it.
Instead of relying on the density alone, I'd put in two variables, fallin and fallout, to control whether or not you can fall into an object from above, or fall through an object to the one below.

I slightly modified the code to look like this
turf
var/fallin = 1
var/fallout = 1
proc/gravity(mob/m)
var/turf/t=locate(m.x,m.y-1,m.z)//the turf directly below the player
var/turf/t2 = m.loc
if(t.density || !t.fallin || !t2.fallout)m.grounded=TRUE//if it is dense set the variable
else//if it isn't dense
m.y--//move the player down
sleep(SPEED)//wait a moment
gravity(m)//call gravity

(also turned off the density on the platforms), and I think it works much better. With this setup, you can jump through platforms going up, but cannot fall through them going down, which traditionally how platforms are. You can also create "upside-down" platforms, using the bottom of icons, that you stand in, rather than stand above.
In response to Chessmaster_19
I just wanna throw this up in here...

http://www.byond.com/developer/JackGuy/3DWireframe