ID:1576751

I can sorta do pixel art, I'm no expert, to make a person, just a front view, would take a half hour or so. I'd imagine I could just put some simple placeholder art for objects (a solid green block for grass, dark green triangle for trees, brown rectangle for roads...etc) When I get bored of coding or need to take a break I could draw some things.

Something like:

Code game
Code game
draw icons
code game
draw icons
beta test
fix things from feedback
draw icons
etc...

would this actually hurt my game/chance of getting people to play?
Not at all, it's a good way to start learning. I always use placeholders when I first start making a project, then I'll either make a palate based on how I want the game to feel aesthetically or wing it and have every colour in the rainbow.
I usually don't draw placeholders, although I will certainly use an incomplete icon (such as mob icons with only one frame) to get back to the code. I just have this desire for completeness, when I define an atom I want a visual to go with it :D

However I really enjoy drawing graphics, even if I'm not great at it. So you should not feel obligated to do it, if you are begrudgingly opening up the icon editor then just do placeholders. If you focus on the code and make a good game then artists will be more interested in helping you.
Gameplay > Graphics

Just look at Minecraft. Has tons of players even though the graphics are simple. Just make sure players can identify what everything is
I would argue that minecraft doesn't have "simple" graphics, and anyway it's not a good example of gameplay being more important than graphics. The low-res textures are done well, and the game has an visual style that many find appealing. Sure, it is a cartoonish/silly style, and the blocky mobs are quite hilarious. But it does look pretty good overall.

I think placeholders should be replaced. But, you can choose a style that allows you to spend less time drawing. One way is to use small icon sizes (like 16x16) which are usually then displayed at double-size. Or, you could do a minimalist style, for example drawing simple shapes. Within that I think there's plenty of room to create a visually appealing game.
As long as you have a collective style to the game and everything is easily identifiable you don't need masterpieces.

I see a lot of projects on here that grab icons from all sources, given to them or not, and while each thing looks good on its own, with all of them under one roof- it looks bad, really bad.
As someone who has experience making his own graphics. Be prepared for waves and waves and waves and waves of hate. But.. If you can't deal with the community bashing your game, you shouldn't make a game in BYOND.

Have you experienced that much hate towards your art style?
In response to Jittai
You wouldn't know, I've used multiple accounts and had a lot of topics deleted by moderators.

Short answer, yes.
Topics being deleted by moderators doesn't seem like "hate" towards your pixel art though, idk - might be getting a bit off topic but of the two projects you have on this account your art looks ok, a few things stick out but nothing terrible.
In response to Jittai
I said they were deleted, one because they were full of flame and two because it means you won't be able to find them.