ID:1578225

Applies to:DM Language

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
As far as I know, there isn't any way to detect whether or not someone is using hardware mode or software mode. I'd like to propose a variable for the client class called render_mode. It would be set to something like HARDWARE_MODE or SOFTWARE_MODE, depending on what the user's preferences are set to.

This would allow developers to be able to work around possible graphical limitations a client may have, such as:

mob/verb/Ghost()
if (src.client.render_mode == HARDWARE_MODE)
src.alpha = 128

else
src.icon_state = "dither"
I'll second this.

In addition, being able to differentiate between the type of client that is connected would be nice. Knowing whether someone was using the Standalone client, the HTML5 client, connected via telnet, or DreamSeeker would be a big help.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
I'll second this.

In addition, being able to differentiate between the type of client that is connected would be nice. Knowing whether someone was using the Standalone client, the HTML5 client, connected via telnet, or DreamSeeker would be a big help.

Isn't that what the client.connection var is for? There's also been discussion on adding byondexe as a connection type.
^Nevermind then...
bump
Donk
I don't know that a var would be appropriate for this, because it's the sort of data that would have to be updated on the fly via messaging.

Considering the main use case I'm aware of is requiring hardware mode, it seems like control_freak would be better suited to this.