ID:157968

Hello people.

I was told by some freids that "Oooo, with the new byond version you do no longer need the 0,0 0,1 etc.. for larger icons. and so i said... hey! sounds good. then they said, "you just change the dmi file size to 64x64 or whatever you want" and i said.. hey! great.

Now i decided to try it out. so i set the icon file size to 64x64, the size is all nice and it seems smooth ingame. however, theres still only the 32x32 part in the lower left corner of the icon that is dense. sooo.. that brings me to:

Do i still need 0,1 etc.. after all? :o i might be overdramaticly stupid here and if you ask im sure i'll find a good excuse for it. however, i do not get it :P

And should it be such a problem for Byond to integrate the size of the density along with the icon function?

Not meant as critic or anything. :) im just wondering as usual.
The new large native icons support is just that -- for large icons. You can give an atom an icon larger than world.tile_size. However, that atom will only visually appear larger; it will still only occupy one tile/location (its loc) at a time.
In effect, the new native icons feature adds nothing but convenience, for the time being: you could achieve an identical effect for a long time by using pixel-offset under/overlays, you just had to put in a little more effort by setting it up manually, whereas using the new feature is very easy and intuitive as you only need to set the icon var.

You can't make an atom occupy more than one tile (with the special exception of areas). However, you can represent 'a large object' through multiple atom parts, essentially simulating an atom that occupies multiple tiles. The hub://Shadowdarke.BigAtom library does this for you.
In response to Kaioken
thank you :)