ID:1580061

I've played an mmorpg long ago (shaiya) and it had a difficulty system. I was thinking of adding it into my game.

Stat based game (whenever you level you gain X stat points to distribute, among your stats, str int dex etc...)

Lets just say for example...max level is 100
Difficulty ranges from Easy Normal Hard

Easy- Double exp from monsters, your level would be capped at 50. Stat points per level would be 3

Normal- Normal exp, level cap at 75, Stat points would be 5

Hard- Half Exp from monsters, level cap is 100, Stat points would be 7

Since it takes more time to level up in hard mode you'd get bonus stat points. Harder modes would require more grinding ultimately.

Rewards for Hard mode would be:
More areas to explore (duh)
Better Gear, Rather...more gear options. If you were to fight Mad Chicken Boss and you were on Hard mode as opposed to easy, your loot table would be different than if a normal fought it. It would have all the things normals would have, including a few extras.
Seems pointless, there's better ways to achieve difficulty differences in-game with out creating three games in one.
I know this wouldnt be too hard to implement but i think i messed up somewhere

Easy, would probably stay the same, it's a "lets see how this game is" kinda thing or "i want to test this class out"

Normal i'd change the lvl cap to max

Hard mode i kinda like, its for people who know their character real well and want to get all the good stuff, they know what's at the end, how they should distribute skills. If i did what the mmo did, there woulda been permanant death added in hard mode. I somehow dont think that's a bad idea. Just advertise it as hardcore instead, less exp, more stat bonuses, better loot.
I've never heard of an MMO using this system- at least not how you describe and from what you have described it sounds counter intuitive to what you could do naturally. Naturally, for example, not interrupting players from exploring the game, and allowing them to wander into areas too hard for them - some players will take up the challenge if they want others will come back when they're more comfortable.

It really depends on what kind of game you're making but this system you are referring to sounds more like a single-player thing than anything else.
Basically I'm copying the system of an MMO called Shaiya.

http://www.aeriagames.com/wiki/ index.php?title=Difficulty_Modes&game=shaiya

it's a decent mmo, playerbase may have dropped over the years.

im trying to emulate that...sorta.
Still sounds like a dumb system though. I don't really see the benefit of a system like this.
I would like to reference Maple Story here. The first three classes in the game were Warrior, Archer, Magician. Later though they introduced the same classes again under the category "Cygnus Knights". The Cygnus versions were roughly the same except they leveled faster and had a lower max level.

Cygnus still to this day are great casual classes to play Maple Story with.
Since you have zero experience as far as I can tell, I say BAD idea. This sounds like one of those innovations that 1) can only be pulled off by a studio/company with several titles under their belt already, and 2) would not actually attract more players to your game.

I think it would be better to provide other opportunities for veterans to challenge themselves. Like PVP, which has the potentially infinite challenge of facing other humans who can come up with creative strategies.

In my favorite roguelike, there are something like 10 classes and 40 races. That's obviously a huge undertaking unless your game only has ASCII graphics and is not real-time, but anyway this diversity allowed veteran players to choose strange race-class combos for a bit of extra challenge and uniqueness. During character creation however, it would always warn you if you were about to choose one of those not-recommended combinations, to protect the newbies. What I'm getting at is there are other ways to provide challenge - perhaps you could allow multi-classing or something.
HikuMatsune wrote:
Harder modes would require more grinding ultimately.

You should shove toothpicks underneath your fingernails for that comment.

Any game that incorporates grinding as a central progression mechanic will always suck. That's not hard mode, that's tedious and annoying mode. The only thing your doing to the player is testing their patience, not their ability to play your game.

Why not, instead of giving them less experience, make the fights harder? That including giving the enemies more abilities, better tactics, ect, not just more health and damage output.
I still don't think implementing "modes" to a multi-player game seems like a good choice.
In response to Jittai
Jittai wrote:
I still don't think implementing "modes" to a multi-player game seems like a good choice.

It might work in an instanced setting. Plenty of games have multiple versions of the same dungeon, just more difficult.
But that would be more or less making the difficulty regional/area not afixed to the player. The area/dungeon/region is harder than others, not their entire game compared to someone else's.