Troithea

by Zasif
No longer In Development(If we get a pixel artist the game is back on development)
ID:1580101

Sixth Update:

Basic Crafting System Added: Success Rate included.

Screen Resolution System Added

Player Limit System Added : Hosters will be able to choose the amount of players allowed on their server.

Changelog:

Bunch of small and big bug fixes.

Changed old grass with a new one.

First animal added its a rabbit.

Needed:
Still looking for a Pixel Artist to help out with few icons here and there.

Congrats.
thx :O
keep at it
Everything looked sexy until I saw that scroll bar. I hope we can do something about it. :P Keep up the good work. I know it's hard doing the pixel art by yourself. But, you're doing a good job anyways. Take your time.
^yeah, the scroll bar was kind of a turn off xD.

I'm not sure, but can you modify that with CSS now? I never really tried so I don't know. @Xirre @YutPut
i know you can use a browser and make a custom scrollbar in javascript but from my experience it's riddled with issues. maybe place the grid in a map element if all else fails?
its sad that old right click menu and scrollbar turns off people I wish something will be done about it, lets not forget the Skin interface windows are also old we should also get those to be Customizable to make them more round around the edges and better looking even with the default windows
In response to Yut Put
Yut Put wrote:
i know you can use a browser and make a custom scrollbar in javascript but from my experience it's riddled with issues. maybe place the grid in a map element if all else fails?

Kidpaddle did it. It made me not want to touch it ever again. It's hard to control it, it can get laggy (it seems), and isn't very accurate. In all, it's more harm than what it's worth. Nobody would want to use it. They'd be better off with the ugly and easy scroll bar.
I thought you could at least change the color in the interface editor?
In response to Magicsofa
Magicsofa wrote:

The color of the scroll bar? I don't think so. I've never seen such a thing.
In response to Xirre
Xirre wrote:
Magicsofa wrote:

The color of the scroll bar? I don't think so. I've never seen such a thing.

I think i would have noticed something like that but nop :O
Oh right, I guess I was thinking of making custom themes in windows, where the scrollbars match with the rest of the window's colors.

Maybe something like this looks better then the scrolling bar but its not a ultimate fix.
Well you can make your own custom buttons, not sure how great it'd be and use a list and a index positioner to say "START HERE" lol and then you'll have your own ghetto scroll arrow thing
In response to Zasif
Zasif wrote:
its sad that old right click menu and scrollbar turns off people I wish something will be done about it, lets not forget the Skin interface windows are also old we should also get those to be Customizable to make them more round around the edges and better looking even with the default windows

With MouseDrag() and transform available you can easily customize it and make it to however you desire; it's not Tom's fault people on this site are too damn incompetent. You definitely aren't limited to browser or interface.

Xiire wrote:
Kidpaddle did it. It made me not want to touch it ever again. It's hard to control it, it can get laggy (it seems), and isn't very accurate. In all, it's more harm than what it's worth. Nobody would want to use it. They'd be better off with the ugly and easy scroll bar.

Because Topic()'s not intended to be called in that type of recursion, but it can get a little messy. BYOND should have the option to utilize webkit instead of shitty OS native browsers, but other than that I opine that he's doing it wrong because it shouldn't get laggy.
In response to KingDeity
KingDeity wrote:
With MouseDrag() and transform available you can easily customize it and make it to however you desire; it's not Tom's fault people on this site are too damn incompetent. You definitely aren't limited to browser or interface.

Before you go labeling a group a people, how about you do what you say can be done and give a demonstration of its "accurateness." We're not saying it can't be done. Hell, it can definitely be done. However, nobody wants to have to go through the trouble of including lines upon lines of code in every game they create. Hell, I'm working in Unity and I have to "write" a GUI code. Instead, it would be so much more time efficient if Unity had a GUI Editor (which will be coming out this Summer).

BYOND has its Interface Editor. That's why I like BYOND honestly. It makes developing projects a breeze. If people have to spend hours optimizing the code instead of working on the key points of the game, then something is wrong there. Game Engines are meant to make developing easier.

From my perspective, I think Game Engines are suppose to focus on helping polish a game while the developer is adding more content. In this case, Zasif can continue working on things such as stat algorithms and balancing, movement optimization, NPC optimization, and crafting. You add in the creation of a damn scroll bar and it would push any release date far back. Because not only will the developer be bored as hell while creating a simple scroll bar, he or she would also probably feel exhausted, pushing the release date even further. And hell, release dates on BYOND have been pushed on many games. Many.

Let me know if I got my point across. Thank you.

Because Topic()'s not intended to be called in that type of recursion, but it can get a little messy. BYOND should have the option to utilize webkit instead of shitty OS native browsers, but other than that I opine that he's doing it wrong because it shouldn't get laggy.

It doesn't get "laggy." In fact, it doesn't even bottleneck the CPU. I've hosted it. I host his My Classroom utility every now and then. It runs fine. However, the issue is that it's not very accurate with receiving clicks and drags through the browser. Honestly, creating a custom scroll bar becomes very annoying and it would be a lot more beneficial to not worry "too" much about them because you'll end up spending 15% of your entire development time trying to get it looking pretty, feel accurate, and moving fast. Heck, I don't even think if you focused on that window and used your mouse wheel if it would even scroll. That's even worse.
In response to Xirre
Xirre wrote:
Before you go labeling a group a people, how about you do what you say can be done and give a demonstration of its "accurateness." We're not saying it can't be done. Hell, it can definitely be done. However, nobody wants to have to go through the trouble of including lines upon lines of code in every game they create. Hell, I'm working in Unity and I have to "write" a GUI code. Instead, it would be so much more time efficient if Unity had a GUI Editor (which will be coming out this Summer).

I've written my own, I know it can be done, and I know it's not processor intensive yet others gave no recommendation of it. Maybe it's not convenient to some, but that's where you put in the extra effort to achieve that quality, and it's not my responsibility to teach others how to do so.

Also you're wrong, I enjoy writing that extra line of code to achieve something of better quality than the alternative.

Xirre wrote:
BYOND has its Interface Editor. That's why I like BYOND honestly. It makes developing projects a breeze. If people have to spend hours optimizing the code instead of working on the key points of the game, then something is wrong there. Game Engines are meant to make developing easier.

Code should be optimized regardless, especially in a high level language like BYOND where the compiler doesn't do a good job at that. The convenience is within the API and how it's set up for game design.

Xirre wrote:
From my perspective, I think Game Engines are suppose to focus on helping polish a game while the developer is adding more content. In this case, Zasif can continue working on things such as stat algorithms and balancing, movement optimization, NPC optimization, and crafting. You add in the creation of a damn scroll bar and it would push any release date far back. Because not only will the developer be bored as hell while creating a simple scroll bar, he or she would also probably feel exhausted, pushing the release date even further. And hell, release dates on BYOND have been pushed on many games. Many.

It should only take a few minutes to half an hour if you haven't made one before. That's not pushing the release date back, in fact I'd much rather prefer to wait for a well polished game than an unprofessional 2d game.

Xirre wrote:
Let me know if I got my point across. Thank you.

Your point's invalid to me. Your point is jumping into game design with no foundation.

Xirre wrote:
It doesn't get "laggy." In fact, it doesn't even bottleneck the CPU. I've hosted it. I host his My Classroom utility every now and then. It runs fine. However, the issue is that it's not very accurate with receiving clicks and drags through the browser. Honestly, creating a custom scroll bar becomes very annoying and it would be a lot more beneficial to not worry "too" much about them because you'll end up spending 15% of your entire development time trying to get it looking pretty, feel accurate, and moving fast. Heck, I don't even think if you focused on that window and used your mouse wheel if it would even scroll. That's even worse.

Viewable Content Size / Max Content Size for the scrollbar height, a few algebra computations, and a MouseDrag() procedure is annoying? You're only struggling because you don't know what you're doing. It only took me but a few minutes to make a flawless one.

How you've described it seems like you've fondled with the size and got how you wanted it through trial and error, and that just goes to show your complaints are your own fault.
Alright, please do show a presentation of your accomplished work. I'd like to see that it can be done in a time efficient manner and works in multiple instances and is easily implementable in multiple projects, both game and utility. Utility being projects without a map.

As for my description, I've never attempted at creating anything of the sort since it's never occurred to me that I needed it in the time that I was actually developing on BYOND. I've already moved on to C#. I just know that from my 8 years of experience in BYOND, creating such a thing would be troublesome in some instances, such as a project without a map for one. Keep in mind, I'm not only talking about the scroll bar. I'm also talking about the right-click menu in which Zasif mentioned.
In response to Xirre
Xirre wrote:
Alright, please do show a presentation of your accomplished work. I'd like to see that it can be done in a time efficient manner and works in multiple instances and is easily implementable in multiple projects, both game and utility. Utility being projects without a map.

What I'm referring to do is either making it with display or image objects, so it'd have to be a runtime interface element if there's no map included. For one, there's no "time efficient" matter, I still have the one I've created, and I'm not remaking it. For two, I don't care about showing you anything.

Xirre wrote:
As for my description, I've never attempted at creating anything of the sort since it's never occurred to me that I needed it in the time that I was actually developing on BYOND. I've already moved on to C#. I just know that from my 8 years of experience in BYOND, creating such a thing would be troublesome in some instances, such as a project without a map for one. Keep in mind, I'm not only talking about the scroll bar. I'm also talking about the right-click menu in which Zasif mentioned.

I don't find it troublesome, but maybe I would if I was making it in a map other than the default. I've had past issues with it acting up wonky and messing up the positioning.

The right-click menu Zasif mentioned is easily circumvented too. Just turn off show_popup_menus and implement your own. By the way, your BYOND account isn't 8 years old.
Page: 1 2