I told them i'm a programmer.
My teacher calls me up to fix his printer.
I told my programming teacher that I'm a programming teacher. He doesn't let me answer questions anymore.
I told my programming teacher that I work for the NSA...
He removed me from the class.
Sounds serious. Hmm.
My programming teacher in high school drove past me one day walking in the rain to school. Didn't realize it was going to rain so I had no umbrella or jacket. When I got to school soaked and everything, he said he would've given me a ride if I had my shirt tucked in.

He let me walk 10 minutes in the rain. Because I didn't have my shirt tucked in.

Shirt. Tucked. In.

Shirt.
When your shirt is tucked out its caused you're hiding a knife or gun. Obviously, gun/knife holders are also solely criminals looking to victimize middle-aged computer teachers.

BURN @JITTAI xD should have tucked in your shirt. That's a life lesson right there ;p
Actually, it was because I was technically "out of dress code".

I went to a high priority school. Basically, around 70% of my school's population consisted of kids from the projects. High poverty, gang-ridden areas of north Nashville. Because of this, we were ALL treated like prisoners.

1. We could only wear white collared shirts and khaki pants. Come to school in blue jeans? Suspended. A green shirt? Suspended. Shirt untucked? Suspended. Our undershirts could only be black or white. Wear a red undershirt and see what happens.

2. We could not leave school to go to the store or go to a fast food restaurant for lunch. We had a police officer who's sole job was to sit outside during lunch time and chase down any vehicle that leaves the parking lot. Leave off campus for any reason and you're suspended, unless it's with your parent.

3. We had constant random searches. They'd frequently take our bus around to the back of the school, and have officers run onto the bus and check around our seats and review the camera footage. Then we'd have to go inside and have our bags searched, pockets emptied, and walk through a metal detector. Or they'd barge unannounced into our classroom in the middle of a lesson and say "This is a random search, nobody move", complete with K9 units and everything.

4. If you got into a fight, you were immediately arrested and taken to juvenile. There was no suspension or parent conference or anything. Just handcuffs and juvenile jail cells.

5. In the hall way without a hall pass? Suspended. And if you were in the hallway without a hall pass during one of their "lock downs" ( basically, a lock down was a 30 minute or so period of time where the principal just decides he doesn't want to see any student in the hallway ), instant 5-day suspension.

What pisses me off the most is the laughable way the school is depicted in the media. They treated us like monsters in school but whenever the camera crews came in, they'd pick out the 5 or 6 kids in the school who AREN'T in gangs, tell them to say positive things, and then play it on television so that Stratford seems like a school of happiness and flowers. Notice that in this 18 minute video ( that's the actual school I went to, and one of the douchebag principals ) they mention none of the things I just stated above. So if anyone was wondering why I frequently badmouth schools or colleges, you know now. I actually can't name too many things I hate more than the education system we have in place right now, and have had in place for decades.

I guess that's why Tupac had to be shot. He frequently suggested changes to schools that would've actually turned some of these "high priority" students into productive people. But obviously teaching them BS like "the circumference of a circle", something they'll never use in their entire existence, then treating them like dogs, and watching them dropout and resort to selling crack rocks to fiends on the corner is the way they prefer to keep it.
I'm sorry for your situation. You should find some willing media/news places willing to talk about it if it bothers you that much.
In response to Jittai
Jittai wrote:
I'm sorry for your situation. You should find some willing media/news places willing to talk about it if it bothers you that much.

Catching this principal in a dark alley one day and breaking out some taijutsu is the only thing that'll suffice.

But no, I've actually been helping students since my senior year with resumes and getting job interviews, and then started helping people at the university I worked at ( a lot of these were people were much older ) with things as well. I even helped some 50-year old Egyptian foreigner ( who was a jerk to me ) by helping him learn to speak English better, helped him apply for jobs, and helped him find doctors for him and his family.

I'd rather do this than go to some news station. The news doesn't really care. The largest employer in middle TN is laying off and/or terminating thousands and outsourcing like crazy recently, and none of it is being reported on TV. So what are they going to care about some 21-year old saying the school he went to 3 years ago was bad?
Falcon lazorz wrote:
I love doing media

This is why you're doing well. You're focusing on your goal, your passion, your future life.

There's no point in having high school kids or college students take remedial classes. If your goal in life is to be a media producer, there's no justification in a college telling you that you have to take classes that have NOTHING to do with media studies. The only purpose it serves is to line the pockets of professors.

A school will spend 4 years teaching you what photosynthesis is, but mention the word "resume" every blue moon. We have kids learning what an obtuse angle is, but none of them are learning what networking is, and how establishing connections with people can further your career. We have 18 year olds who don't know it's unprofessional to take a job application and cram it into your back pocket, then whip it back out, all wrinkled and whatnot, to hand it to the employer. We have teenagers who are being told that college is the only way to learn something. Meanwhile, a lot of successful people nowadays are autodidacts, and learned how to do what they do from just grabbing a book off a shelf and reading, or watching an online tutorial.

We cram "get a job after college" down every child's throat. When are we going to start telling them "create a job after college". Start your own business. Be your own boss. We tell kids not to take risks, when the vast majority of people we consider successful today got there by risking something, if not everything. And even if you risk something and you fail, it has the potential of making you a better person, because failure tends to build humility while success usually just boosts ego.

I guess I'm just confused as to what school actually prepares us for. It just seems like a daycare. Something to keep teenagers occupied. Which, I'm all for occupying teenagers. But if you're going to occupy them, make them spend their time learning things that help them IN THE REAL WORLD. I'm fine with reading and writing being re-iterated, but honestly, how has geometry impacted your life? Why did I need to know that plants reproduce asexually? I was told Pluto was a moon in school. Whether it's a moon or a planet, I'm still waiting to hear how that bit of knowledge is going to help me pay my rent.

We take kids in and give them 12 years of almost nothing, then push them off into another 4+ years of nothing ( remedial courses ) mixed in with something that kid is actually interested in. Then, assuming that kid makes it out of college, he competes for the exact same position thousands of others are competing for, and if he's lucky enough to get it, there's no guarantee he'll keep it since outsourcing is apparently the way of the future and we'd rather toss jobs overseas instead of keeping them here because our country has this habit of taking care of other countries better than we take care of ourselves. Welcome to 'Murica - where absolutely nothing makes any sense at all. Enjoy your stay ( if you can ).
Maybe i'm the bad guy here, but is it really too much to ask kids to learn how the world around them works? Yeah, learning pluto isnt a planet won't make you rich anytime soon, but I think its important that people dont walk around only learning about things in their little bubble of interest. Especially since they wont know what interests them until theyre exposed to new ideas.

I mean, kids only have one job, and that's to learn. Unless you have some especially shitty parents, you aren't working through middle school to earn rent money, or feed yourself. Your one job is to learn, and we have to make that even easier? I feel like if you cant make it through 12 years of school, you are either such a genius that's its too boring (which is rare as hell) or you aren't going to make it, period.
In response to Boxcar
Boxcar wrote:
Maybe i'm the bad guy here, but is it really too much to ask kids to learn how the world around them works? Yeah, learning pluto isnt a planet won't make you rich anytime soon, but I think its important that people dont walk around only learning about things in their little bubble of interest. Especially since they wont know what interests them until theyre exposed to new ideas.

I mean, kids only have one job, and that's to learn. Unless you have some especially shitty parents, you aren't working through middle school to earn rent money, or feed yourself. Your one job is to learn, and we have to make that even easier? I feel like if you cant make it through 12 years of school, you are either such a genius that's its too boring (which is rare as hell) or you aren't going to make it, period.

I'm sure if I were to ask the class of 2011 ( my class ) what the circumference of a circle was, they wouldn't be able to tell me. What's the value of learning something that not only will never benefit you, but you'll forget as soon as you leave the school environment anyway? Why study obtuse angles, when you can study interview tactics, something you'll actually use and most likely not forget the moment you step off campus and start your life?

Teaching kids things that don't interest them doesn't really help them. If a guy has dreams to be a mechanic, sure, you can tell him about Pluto for 12 years, but he's not going to retain any of the information after he leaves school, because he couldn't care less about planets and moons. This guy wants to work on engines and change oils and play with spark plugs. And I think it's extremely unfair to suggest that a kid "isn't going to make it" if he can't comprehend some of this stuff. I saw classmates struggling with geometry and algebra 2, but I'm not going to say they're a lost cause because they didn't get it. Einstein was bad at spelling - arguably one of the more simpler tasks you're faced with in school. But he'd crush you in a contest of mathematics, which was his interest. So should we have deemed Einstein a lost cause because he didn't understand everything you learn in the 12 years of school, or attempt to nurture his natural talent with numbers and let him focus on what he excelled in and had a passion for?

My suggestions aren't to make school easier, it's to make school actually worth a child's time. Let me give you an example of how unprepared students are nowadays, because I actually worked at a university for two years, and some of the things I saw were just mind-boggling.

These students thought it was a good idea to jog alone, at 2AM, wearing headphones, in secluded areas of Downtown Nashville. I'd log into my Vanderbilt mail and get a "Theft Report" message saying that a student was robbed at gunpoint earlier that morning. Basically what kept happening is, a brown vehicle would creep around downtown nearby campus areas, and when they'd see one of these buffoons jogging alone, they'd hop out ( which, the student can't hear this happening because she's jogging while listening to "Wrecking Ball" with the volume turned to maximum ) and snatch people's belongings off of them, whether it was a backpack, laptop, iPod, it didn't matter.

But do you think these students had a class about "Surviving Downtown"? You think these students were informed that there are gang-ridden projects 5 minutes away from campus? You think someone sat them down and told them never to jog alone? Or with headphones in? Or at 2AM in the freaking morning of all times? No. We just keep telling them about how trees give us oxygen and how we give carbon dioxide to trees. This is just one of many examples of a lack of awareness of how the world operates that I saw in students. I'd see girls get up from their seat in the dining area, and leave an expensive phone or other electronic device sitting on the table. Then 20 minutes later, that same girl is approaching me saying "Excuse me sir, do you know if anyone found a pink iPhone? I think I left it on my table and when I came back it wasn't there."

School prepares you for a world that doesn't exist. A world where geometry pays your bills. A world where thieves aren't lurking around every dark corner. A world where writing your entire middle name on an application that only required your middle initial is acceptable. A world where a job is guaranteed if you have a Bachelor's. A world where everything you're told on T.V. is factual. That's why when students go out into the real world, they're the first to get robbed. They're the first to fill out an application incorrectly. They're the first to wonder why they have a degree but still can't get hired anywhere. They're the first to believe whatever they see in the media. Because school prepared them for Disneyland, and not America.
Falcon lazorz wrote:
To be fair, I don't disagree with the topics we're teaching. I very strongly enjoyed Maths and Physics, it was the teachers and the depressing school I was in that made me hate everything. If I had of actually tried at all, I would of easily gotten all As.

I'm not saying to take classes away from students that enjoy it. If there is a high school student who wants to do Math and Physics, by all means, do Math and Physics. Chances are their job will involve Math and Physics if they enjoy it that much.

However, on the flip side, you have students who can't comprehend this stuff, or just show no interest in it, but have other talents. And sometimes it's not even the kid at all. Sometimes it's just a terrible teacher that's causing students to under-perform, as you just pointed out. If the teacher isn't do his job correctly, it'll reflect in the student's grades. If a kid is showing great skill in working on cars, but struggles with finding the answer to "xy+b = z", why not let that kid have more time working on cars and less algebra?
In response to EmpirezTeam
Oh, I'm all for classes teaching kids how to survive in the real world. If there was a course teaching kids things not to do to make yourself a victim, that could help many kids avoid unnecessary strife.

My problem with letting kids skip what they arent interested in is that this just seems to coddle the kid and tell them they can just avoid something thats hard, and just focus on the things they like, or want to do. Life isnt really like that. Maybe it should be, but we arent there yet, not even close.

Not to mention, the struggle can lead them to an appreciation of something they wouldnt have had otherwise. For example, I was almost held back in 2nd grade because my reading comprehension was so horrible. That summer, my mom worked with me every day, running drills into my head and having me practice reading increasingly advanced material. When I came back, I was at the top of my class in reading. In middle school, I tested at a reading level of a senior in high school. Imagine if I just dropped lit classes because I didn't like it, and had trouble with it.

I'm just saying, it can be hard to sit down and work on something you aren't particularly interested in, but I think its a vital part of becoming a responsible adult.
In response to Boxcar
Boxcar wrote:
Oh, I'm all for classes teaching kids how to survive in the real world. If there was a course teaching kids things not to do to make yourself a victim, that could help many kids avoid unnecessary strife.

My problem with letting kids skip what they arent interested in is that this just seems to coddle the kid and tell them they can just avoid something thats hard, and just focus on the things they like, or want to do. Life isnt really like that. Maybe it should be, but we arent there yet, not even close.

Not to mention, the struggle can lead them to an appreciation of something they wouldnt have had otherwise. For example, I was almost held back in 2nd grade because my reading comprehension was so horrible. That summer, my mom worked with me every day, running drills into my head and having me practice reading increasingly advanced material. When I came back, I was at the top of my class in reading. In middle school, I tested at a reading level of a senior in high school. Imagine if I just dropped lit classes because I didn't like it, and had trouble with it.

I'm just saying, it can be hard to sit down and work on something you aren't particularly interested in, but I think its a vital part of becoming a responsible adult.

As I said, reading and writing should be re-iterated. I would never suggest that a school should let someone ignore a reading and writing class.

And I don't think it's necessarily "coddling" the kid. My main point is that, what would our kids be capable of if we took someone who had dreams to be an author, and really allowed him to just focus on writing? Not for the entire day of course, but say, instead of forcing him to go to gym class and play volleyball for 60 minutes, let the kid write a short story for 60 minutes. If he's being discouraged and struggling with obtuse angles in geometry, don't hold the kid back and say "Sorry, but you're not smart enough for us to hand you a diploma." That's part of the reason why we have a million annual ( the last time I checked ) dropouts as it is. We're implying these kids are dumb just because they're not excelling in a subject that has next to no value, instead of seeing what they possess an aptitude for and helping them master it.

I think if we were to focus on making school a more relevant experience for students, they'd be more motivated to get up everyday and come to school. No kid wants to be a failure. I don't think there's a single kid who truly has the goal of coming to school everyday and being an absolute failure. Most of their frustration comes from NOT being able to succeed in a class. They do an assignment to the best of their ability, turn it in, get an F, and the teacher just fails them without pursuing the issue. Day after day, "F" after "F" after "F". So of course that kid is going to eventually say, "You know what? I'm going to skip Algebra today." which turns into "I'm going to skip school entirely." which turns into "I'm dropping out, I'll survive by selling dope."

You were EXTREMELY fortunate to have a Mom who gave a damn. The kids at my school didn't have that. They had Moms who were drug addicts. Fathers who were non-existent. Environments that were unsafe. Their only hope WAS school, but even at school, they weren't properly prepared for anything, because the board of education says that a kid should spend more time tossing a ball around in gym class, and less time having mock interviews.
In response to Jittai
Jittai wrote:
When your shirt is tucked out its caused you're hiding a knife or gun. Obviously, gun/knife holders are also solely criminals looking to victimize middle-aged computer teachers.

Creative meme is creative. Much art. Such skills. Good job. I mean it.
I forgot to mention: that's exactly what my face looks like.
In response to EmpirezTeam
EmpirezTeam wrote:
They do an assignment to the best of their ability, turn it in, get an F, and the teacher just fails them without pursuing the issue.

A student who does an assignment and gets an F, probably did not do it "to the best of their ability." They probably did a total hack-job and then threw in the towel, because they hate school and this is a stupid assignment that I'll never use in the real world right?

A teacher who gives an assignment and fails students with no recourse or interaction with the student is just a bad teacher. They are not doing their job to the best of their ability.

So you see, there are two sides to the issue. It's a vicious cycle of students who don't care, so the teachers lose motivation to help them, so the students care even less, etc.

I do think teenagers should be able to explore learning a variety of subjects. However, the whole "I won't ever use this" argument is total BS. You don't know what your career is going to be at 16, and even if you did, it's ridiculous to think that a 16-year-old could just ignore learning about the world around them. They might as well just drop out and enter a trade school (which is not impossible).

The reason kids don't remember things is because they only grudgingly learned them, and their learning didn't go any further than being able to pass a test. I personally enjoyed math, chemistry, physics, literature, and civics. Those subjects have very little to do with my degree (except maybe chemistry) but I still remember stuff from those classes and I feel that I am a more well-rounded person because of it. Sure, my survival is not really hinging on the fact that I know the difference between a metaphor and a simile, or that I know which sides of a triangle correspond to the ratios sine, cosine, and tangent.

Then again, what if I wanted to pursue something outside my degree or my work experience? What if, for example, I wanted to develop a computer game? Then, the writing skills I was taught in high school (and a little in college) will help me create a better product. The mathematics that I do remember will come in handy when I need to create game physics that aren't completely insane.

Anyway, my point is that forcing people to take general classes is not the main problem. In some situations I do think kids need more freedom. However, I also think that teachers need to get better at doing their job. I always loved math, but I hated math class mainly because the teachers just gave us stupid math problems to do. If the classes were more project-based, allowing us to do large assignments that had an end result that we could present to the class and be proud of, I might have liked it more. Of course that would mean the government needs to hook schools up with more money so...fat chance.
In response to Magicsofa
Magicsofa wrote:
A student who does an assignment and gets an F, probably did not do it "to the best of their ability." They probably did a total hack-job and then threw in the towel, because they hate school and this is a stupid assignment that I'll never use in the real world right?

If they didn't do it to the best of their ability, there's obviously something that led to that. The kid must've already been failing for him to get to the conclusion that he should just not try at all.

So you see, there are two sides to the issue. It's a vicious cycle of students who don't care, so the teachers lose motivation to help them, so the students care even less, etc.

It sounds like you're implying the problem starts with and and lies mainly with the students. Which isn't the case. Improve education, and the students will improve. That's how this works. You don't keep lackluster education and crappy teachers in place, and just sit back twiddling your thumbs, hoping the students fix themselves. They are called "kids" for a reason. It's because they require the guidance of an adult to help them grow up.

You don't know what your career is going to be at 16,

But they'll magically know what they want their career to be 2 years later? Maybe more students would know what they want their career to be if there were more, you know.. CAREER CLASSES? How is someone going to know what they want to do with their life if they are given the same crap from kindergarten all the way to 12th grade?

and even if you did, it's ridiculous to think that a 16-year-old could just ignore learning about the world around them.

I'm not sure why it's ridiculous. As I already stated, there are a ton of successful people nowadays who dropped out of school. Mark Zuckerberg dropped out of college to focus on Facebook. I guess by your logic he should've remained in college working on pointless remedial assignments rather than bringing about an insanely successful social networking site and becoming a multi-billionaire. Because, hey, we gotta know how the world works bro! We gotta know about the stars and the plants and the volleyball and the acute angles and my favorite: "black history month" where we hear the same 4 or 5 stories over and over again, as if the only good black people that ever lived were just people like Rosa Parks and MLK, and also serves to keep reminding the youth that black and white and asian and hispanic people all are a different species, because we can't have kids thinking we're all the same now can we?

The reason kids don't remember things is because they only grudgingly learned them, and their learning didn't go any further than being able to pass a test. I personally enjoyed math, chemistry, physics, literature, and civics. Those subjects have very little to do with my degree (except maybe chemistry) but I still remember stuff from those classes and I feel that I am a more well-rounded person because of it.

As I said, if a kid enjoys those subjects, ALLOW THEM TO TAKE THOSE SUBJECTS. I never said to forcefully take away classes from kids who want to take those classes. It's nice that you feel well-rounded, but a lot of us aren't really concerned about this "well-rounded" feeling you're adamant about. I don't need to be well-rounded if being well-rounded means I know a ton of stuff that serves no purpose other than allowing me to tell people "I know that", I need to be adept at what I do for a living, and know how to survive. Those are my priorities. Then again, I spent half of my life in Detroit of all places, so maybe this "survival is what matters most" mindset stems from the fact that when you're growing up hearing gunshots outside your house every night, staying alive becomes more crucial to you than some test grade you got in Calculus.

Then again, what if I wanted to pursue something outside my degree or my work experience?

Then pursue them, broski. That's what I've been saying this entire time. Let the kids work on what they're showing an interest in. Once again, the most successful people in the world usually state that passion was apart of why they succeeded. If a kid is showing a passion for a particular subject or trade, give them a little push in that direction!
Page: 1 2 3