ID:1585893

Poll: Would a game focused on exploration get any attention?

1) Probably. 24% (6)
2) Probably not. 12% (3)
3) It would probably get a little attention, but only so much. 4% (1)
4) Maybe if it had other elements (combat, puzzles, etc.). 48% (12)
5) Maybe on a different platform (not BYOND). 4% (1)
6) Both option 4 and 5. 0% (0)
7) I have no idea... 8% (2)

Login to vote.

Imagine a game where the main goal was to explore an open world to discover wonders and artifacts.

What if exploration was a challenge in itself, say you had to chart a map, and prepare survival provisions, and had to be mindful of the dangers of the environment. What if you were rewarded for discoveries (items or skills) that would allow you to explore further, and even manage to piece together some mysteries that would lead to new discoveries, granting greater rewards.

Do you think that alone would be enough of a playing experience to keep players interested? Do you think it would need more gameplay components? Do you think it would have to be designed a certain way (e.i. multiplayer options) to work? Does it sound like a lost cause no matter what way it is designed?

Most importantly, do you think it would work on BYOND?
I could see it working, but only if the mapping were done really well, plenty of variety got put in, and it had some other stuff mixed in like puzzles, traps, and what not.

Combat would be another thing it would maybe need. After all, consider things like The Mummy, or Indiana Jones. In either case, there is some action, often even somewhat involving combat. It's worth noting though, that in combat the players should always be pretty even. Advantages in it should be minor. It shouldn't be a game about who has the greatest statistics.
In response to Toddab503
Toddab503 wrote:
I could see it working, but only if the mapping were done really well, plenty of variety got put in, and it had some other stuff mixed in like puzzles, traps, and what not.

Combat would be another thing it would maybe need. After all, consider things like The Mummy, or Indiana Jones. In either case, there is some action, often even somewhat involving combat. It's worth noting though, that in combat the players should always be pretty even. Advantages in it should be minor. It shouldn't be a game about who has the greatest statistics.

Good points.

Well done map design with variety would be key factors. After all, it's the focus to explore that map!

I like the idea you have for how combat could be handled. The way you describe combat makes me think of Minecraft. There is no real stat building in Minecraft, but there is gear you can acquire to give you a little bit of an edge. Being that Minecraft has some heavy exploration elements to it, that only makes sense.
In response to BlowStuffUp
Yeah, that's a pretty good way to think about the combat! There's nothing wrong with having both close range, and long range. Special is even fine, if it has reasonable drains and down sides. Minor advantages like an enchantment or slightly better item is entirely fine. There just needs to be no stats that are trainable, and every player new or old should have a good chance of defeating any other as long as they can out perform them with actual skill instead of statistics, gear, or skills.

Secret areas are also an important factor, and multi-player would heavily aid. Maybe not a ton of players, though. 1-4, 1-8, 1-16, maybe 1-30 tops. Things like that would probably be ideal. Good luck keeping the areas secret for long once someone finds them, but still good idea to go for.
I used to play a lot of this game called Noctis

The point of the game was to fly around to different planets and land on them and explore the surface. That was it...the only thing you had to do was collect fuel from time to time. Some would argue that it was a simulator rather than a game. Still it was a lot of fun.

I think exploration is a huge draw. When you can make a player feel like they are really going somewhere, and that they are far from home, that's a special feeling and sure to keep some players interested. I do like the idea of having survival elements however - one of the reasons I stopped playing Noctis was because there was no challenge
In response to Magicsofa
Magicsofa wrote:
I used to play a lot of this game called Noctis

The point of the game was to fly around to different planets and land on them and explore the surface. That was it...the only thing you had to do was collect fuel from time to time. Some would argue that it was a simulator rather than a game. Still it was a lot of fun.

I think exploration is a huge draw. When you can make a player feel like they are really going somewhere, and that they are far from home, that's a special feeling and sure to keep some players interested. I do like the idea of having survival elements however - one of the reasons I stopped playing Noctis was because there was no challenge

Interesting game, it definitely falls in-line with the topic.

I think your comment on making the player really feel like they are in someplace unfamiliar hits the nail on the head. To truly make that sort of game experience happen would probably be enough to give the game some impact on the players. But as for how to pull it off, that's the challenge!

I like your comment on how the game became stale without any sort of challenge. This is why I though of making the exploration process a challenge in itself.

I suppose then, adding other elements of challenge to the game, such as combat as we described already, would only benefit the game IF it did not draw away from the core experience. Any thoughts on that?
In response to BlowStuffUp
I'd recommend making the combat frequency somewhat realistic to avoid it pulling away from the experience. Doing so might even help improve on the experience.

What I mean by this, for example, would be things like coming across the occasional grizzly bear in the woods, or wolves in a cave. Maybe some bats in a cave. Fall in a pit and deal with some snakes. Be running through the woods, get bit and poisoned by a snake if you don't notice it.

All creatures you can fight, but you don't encounter them often, you don't HAVE to fight them, and discovering them is part of the exploring experience.

Aside from that, it could all be player vs player. The world should be large enough that people won't end up running into each other too often, and if they do, they probably wouldn't fight unless they got in each others way while trying to discover an artifact or maybe if they wanted to steal something from the other.

Either way, rare enough, and real enough to work.
I follow what you mean. That kind of model for combat would seem to make the most sense for this kind of game, and could improve the experience as you said!

One thing about PvP though, wouldn't that add a competitive vibe to the game? Would that draw away from a more "explore the world and enjoy it" kind of feel?

Another thing about multiplayer in general: once the players have discovered something, it could ruin the experience for players who have yet to discover it, if the secret is buzzing around the community.
Well, it shouldn't if the world is big enough and the starting point maybe varies so players don't encounter each other too frequently. Plus, even if they do they might team up instead of fight.

As for multiplayer, I think you're gonna encounter that either way. I mean if it's single player, people will just talk on forums, messengers, etc. Might not be quite as widespread, but still. The only way to really avoid that is to go the way of things like minecraft, and make a lot of things have some random factors mixed in.
Right, I guess it would be unavoidable either way, however, if it were strictly single player, the most likely way something could be spoiled is if a player were to seek out the spoilers on forums and the like, and that is the choice of the player.

It is an interesting idea though, players teaming up to find discoveries.