ID:1586072

Keywords: bug, file, name, turfs
Not a bug
BYOND Version:506
Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
Web Browser:Firefox 29.0
Applies to:Dream Maker

This is not a bug. It may be an incorrect use of syntax or a limitation in the software. For further discussion on the matter, please consult the BYOND forums.
Descriptive Problem Summary:

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem: 1 make a code file in a new environment. 2 copy the code below. 3 create a dmi file named Floors.dmi. 4 make a map file. 5 add all the names of the below icon states to reproduce the bug.

Code Snippet
turf/Floors
icon = 'Floors.dmi'
density = 0
Floor_1
icon_state = "Floor 1"
Floor_2
icon_state = "Floor 2"
Floor_3
icon_state = "Floor 3"
Floor_4
icon_state = "Floor 4"
Floor_5
icon_state = "Floor 5"
Floor_6
icon_state = "Floor 6"
Floor_7
icon_state = "Floor 7"
Floor_8
icon_state = "Floor 8"
Floor_9
icon_state = "Floor 9"
Floor_10
icon_state = "Floor 10"
Floor_11
icon_state = "Floor 11"
Wooden_1
icon_state = "wooden 1"
Wooden_2
icon_state = "wooden 2"
Wooden_3
icon_state = "wooden 3"
Wooden_4
icon_state = "wooden 4"
Wooden_5
icon_state = "wooden 5"
sand_1
icon_state = "sand 1"
sand_2
icon_state = "sand 2"
ice
icon_state = "ice"
Grass
icon_state = "Grass"
Bridge
icon_state = "Bridge"
Snow
icon_state = "snow"

Expected Results: The sprites wont appear in the object tab as long as the name of the file is Floors.dmi

Actual Results: Everything will appear blank in the object tab except snow.

Does the problem occur: Yes
Every time? Or how often? Every time
In other games? yes
In other user accounts?Yes
On other computers? Yes

When does the problem NOT occur? When you change the file name from Floors.dmi to something else

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? not sure honestly i know it worked about 9 months ago
Workarounds: Just change the file name.

I can also verify that I saw this problem in action. I deleted the rsc, cleared cache, created a new file and manually re-added the stats, and it still didn't seem to want to work.
ter is the one that found the solution and the cause of the problem
That's extremely odd. Is the issue that the file's name (sans extension) matches part of the type path, or that it's capitalized?
its just the name itself floors.dmi or Floors.dmi what is really strange is one of the sprites do appear in the object tree just snow the rest are voided

http://imgur.com/jHq6afA

and sometimes when i compiled the code i would get this

loading Map.dmm
Map.dmm:2:error: undefined type: /turf/Floor/Snow
Map.dmm:2:error: unknown type
Map.dmm:3:error: undefined type: /turf/Floor/Snow
Map.dmm:3:error: unknown type
Map.dmm:4:error: undefined type: /turf/Floor/Snow
Map.dmm:4:error: unknown type
Map.dmm:6:error: undefined type: /turf/Floor/Snow
Map.dmm:6:error: unknown type
Map.dmm:7:error: undefined type: /turf/Floor/Snow
Map.dmm:7:error: unknown type
Map.dmm:8:error: undefined type: /turf/Floor/Snow
Map.dmm:8:error: unknown type
Map.dmm:10:error: undefined type: /turf/Floor/Floor_4
Map.dmm:10:error: unknown type
Map.dmm:11:error: undefined type: /turf/Floor/Floor_11
Map.dmm:11:error: unknown type
Map.dmm:12:error: undefined type: /turf/Floor/Floor_11
Map.dmm:13:error: unknown type
Noko.dmb - 18 errors, 0 warnings

and then when i copy the code and delete it then compile an empty code file it goes to 0 errors like it should and when i put it back it goes to 0 errors untill i do another random compile then it lists the 18 errors above
i switched the name of the file to tiles turfs or anything else and it works just fine
In response to Lummox JR
one more thing sorry for all the reply's lol the errors don't make sense everything was defined correctly
To save me some time investigating this, would you mind breaking this down to a small test project (just the icon and that code), verifying the issue is still there, and then sending me a .zip or a link to it? If you can't get it narrowed down to a smaller project you can always send me the full source, but that's overkill if we can help it.

I'd also like to know what happens if you move the snow section up, so it's not the last Floor turf defined.
nothing changes when its moved but im going to page you my source to my game
From what I can tell there's no issue if you use the correct filename: Icons/Turfs/Floors.dmi. You do not have a Floors.dmi file in the main project dir at all.

I believe you're seeing this issue because you also have a dir called "icons to alter" and it contains another file called floors.dmi. Therefore because you were not specific about the name, DM is confused.

While it would be preferable for the map editor to take an all-or-nothing approach with the icon, I'm not overly concerned about it in this case. Either way the cause of the problem is that you were not specific enough about which file you wanted, and either way the result would be rather confusing--or worse, potentially misleading, as the map editor might think the icon is in one place but the compiler proper thinks it's somewhere else. For this reason I'm going to close this as a non-bug, but suggest that throwing a warning for ambiguous filenames be left as a feature request.
Lummox JR resolved issue (Not a bug)
lol i see yeah its not a bug that explains why snow appears im sorry i wasted you and ters time i recently just downloaded the file from the hub so i didn't really take notice to it