ID:1587101

Resolved
BYOND Version:506
Operating System:Windows 7 Home Premium
Web Browser:Firefox 29.0 / IE 11 / Chrome
Applies to:BYOND Pager

This issue has been resolved.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
Byond on my computer is unable to proceed through "Loading game information". It has shown to complete 100% after a long period of time but it does not actually mean anything because it never ends.
 photo Byondproblem_zpsa8ac27c8.png
Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1) Opening Byond versions from >499
2) Envy other users

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:

Expected Results:
To work correctly and as intended.

Actual Results:
Unable to proceed. Unable to load. However being able to play games BUT with problems. And cry.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? 100% of the time
In other games? 100% of all games
In other user accounts? 100% of all accounts
On other computers?: Works on another computer that I have.

When does the problem NOT occur?: On my other computer.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked?: Version 498 and below.

Workarounds:
Opening Byond again whilst it's "Loading game information" seems to open the window. However this causes numerous problems and it will not work properly. Or, use 498.1163.
 photo byondworkaround_zps4aa895a5.png

I have followed numerous instructions and "fixes" suggested by numerous people. None corrects this. Only thing that works is the client 498 and below.

The "fixes" include:
1) Reinstalling with administrator
2) Running CCleaner
3) Running as admin
4) Using regedit workaround
5) Disabling Windows Firewall
6) Deleting BYOND folder from documents
 photo byondlocalthing_zps15f1511a.png

My laptop specs:
 photo byondspecs_zps1f6de2f5.png

I DO NOT USE ACTIVE ANTI VIRUSES
Where is BYOND installed on your system? Where is the user data directory, and is that over a network share at all?
Install directory: "C:\Program Files (x86)\byond\bin\byond.exe"

Not sure about network share. But I am using "nita sweet" user.

photo userdata_zps512a63e5.png

How do I check?
Hi, I apologies for necroing this post. But it's been a year since I've gotten a reply. I hadn't had the time to check the forums throughly but I still see people with this problem...
I'm curious what your install path and user path are. If you open up the system registry, go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Dantom/BYOND and look at the dirs listed there. Are they regular file paths, or do either of them start with something like \ or \\? Are they on your C: drive? The cases I've seen of this have generally involved the system trying to access files over a network share without the user realizing it. (If you're not doing so already, I'd also try this with the very newest beta version, 507.1274.)

If nothing still works, maybe the best path is to hash this out in live chat. If so, you can set up an AIM account (you can use Pidgin instead of AIM to actually chat) and if you give me your contact name there, I can add you to my buddy list and we can try to work together on this.
Hi, problem was fixed when I upgraded to windows 8.1. Im not sure why but it did.

Before I upgraded I followed your workaround with the HKEY_CURRENT_USER thing to try and fix this problem even with 507 version.

Do you still want to do this live chat thing? Or did I satisfied your curiosity?
If it's fixed for you I don't think there's anything I could do to diagnose it at this point. Glad it's working now though.
Lummox JR resolved issue