ID:158812

Hello, I'm having problems hosting a new game of mine.

I have had much experience with BYOND several years ago and had a sudden urge the other day to code a new game! So I've started coding and wished to test some multiplayer things such as whispering to another player... Now's the problem, when I went to test hosting my game, I run into this error: "BYOND hub reports port xxxx cannot be reached by players."

I've searched this forum many times and I've found the answers rather unhelpful... Many even dismissive!

My PC is running on Windows Vista SP2 so naturally, the first thing one does is to turn off windows firewall. I've also played with the settings on my router and allowed access to this port on several settings... I'm afraid I'm not very experienced with routers, I turn them on, they work... That's usually the end.

So, what I'd like to know is if anyone has any information (apart from being directed to "portforward.com") on how to resolve this issue I'd be very grateful!

Thanks,

Farkas.
I also had problems hosting, but i never had the "BYOND hub reports port xxxx cannot be reached by players." error, but I would try using port 6001 or something if the problem is what port you're using because I'm using that one and it works.

[Edit]Also, what port are you trying to use?
In response to Morialis
Also, if when you run into the problem where it seems like you're hosting the game but a "live game" doesn't show up on byond, then you might need to use portforward (me and my friend had this problem and portforward fixed it).
In response to Morialis
Morialis wrote:
Also, if when you run into the problem where it seems like you're hosting the game but a "live game" doesn't show up on byond, then you might need to use portforward (me and my friend had this problem and portforward fixed it).

Okay, can you tell me what it told you to do... My router isn't in the list at portforward.com (that and it's french! don't ask). But if someone could explain what I need to look for then I could give it a go...

In response to Farkas
Do you no longer have an error when you try to host? Also, this is the one I used, maybe the routers will be similar enough for it to work for you also

http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/ Linksys/WRT300N/BYOND_Dream_Seeker_Host.htm

The basic idea is to setup a static IP, then access your router from typing what I assume is the router's IP address into your browser, it's kind of long but the steps aren't exactly super complicated (unless this isn't how to do it for your router)
In response to Morialis
Also it seems not all routers need a static IP from just clicking around on random routers, and I found how to access the router from the browser from the user's manual which I downloaded online.
In response to Morialis
It turns out that my router has a static IP address, I just wasn't forwarding the ports for THIS address, I was forwarding the port for my actual IP rather than my local IP!!! Arhhhh!

Thanks for your help, problem sorted!

Farkas