ID:159004

how do u ban people when there masking there ip adress and useing alt keys.. we've pagebanned, hostbanned and banned ingame somuch for the same 2 people yet there still comming back and causeing trouble.. 1 has even started to issue threats..

ive read and heard about various ways to ban includeing range ips, cookies etc.. buh there is no complete way to ban someone asfar as i can see.. isnt there anything we as game owners can do to keep these immature childish people from our games..

yes i know ive had my fair share of childish moments.. and i dont expect toget any responce.. buh least im trying to make byond a better place now.. my games getting fedup of childish people like these 2.. and i wanna deal wiv it asap..

and i know i aint an angel on my own game.. ive done my fair share of bad things.. buh the past is the past.. and i just wanna solve this major flaw with byonds banning capabilities.
they might be changing their IP address.
In response to Foomer
Funny, because I've tried to look that up in the reference within Dream Maker and nothing turned up :\

EDIT
Nor the reference here on the site has it.
In response to Spunky_Girl
Perhaps they haven't uploaded the version that includes it yet. In that case, let me amend my comment:

Wait until the next version is released and then check their computer-id.
In response to Foomer
i suppose i can tollorate them for alittle longer.. we generaly find out if there on at a decent pace and reban them so i suppose waiteing awhile will be worth it for that then.. thanks for the replys people
Well, It's been a while since I used Daemon to ban, but try to ban their range. A IP range is the first 3 sets of numbers in their IP, I.E, If my IP was 68.72.156.17 You'd just ban 68.72.156 and no PC on that router can get on there, unless they know how to get around that.
In response to HXR_Wheaties
HXR_Wheaties wrote:
Well, It's been a while since I used Daemon to ban, but try to ban their range. A IP range is the first 3 sets of numbers in their IP, I.E, If my IP was 68.72.156.17 You'd just ban 68.72.156 and no PC on that router can get on there, unless they know how to get around that.

Every router doesn't get its own IP range. It gets ONE. All of the people on the router have different local IP addresses but the same public IP address.

I.E: You may have 192.168.1.2 as one computer's IP, and 192.168.1.3 as another's, but as far as a server on BYOND is concerned you'd both have the IP 48.68.88.120 or whatever. Banning IP ranges also (theoretically) bans a few hundred other people who more likely than not don't play BYOND. However many ISPs will end up giving you a different IP outside of that range when you get a new one (by reconnecting usually) So yea...
In response to AJX
yeah i know about ip range banning. buh unfortunately for my game several people have the same ISP and are within the range on the ip.. so thats why we can only use it in rare situations.. thats the drawnback to range ip banning. u can endup banning ppl u dont intend to ban because of 1 problem maker..

If this client id things implamented i'd be well happy.. as i know 1 of the troublemakers is useing a virtual ip so its constantly changeing when we get rid of him. . i have my game to list multikeys and ips and all that.. and tobe honist there not that smart. they always say sumthing or tell someone its them and they get reported lol..
In response to Spunky_Girl
Spunky_Girl wrote:
Funny, because [...]

Funny? How so? This is always the case with very-newly-added features. =P Also makes sense, no point in documenting a feature that can't be used yet, might even be counterproductive ("hay, i get an undefined var error for computer_id, but the reference said there is such var, why?"), tehe.
In response to Kaioken
I thought it was added in already for some reason because people were talking about using it and the such :\
In response to Yurgeta
Yurgeta wrote:
yeah i know about ip range banning. buh unfortunately for my game several people have the same ISP and are within the range on the ip.. so thats why we can only use it in rare situations.. thats the drawnback to range ip banning. u can endup banning ppl u dont intend to ban because of 1 problem maker..

If this client id things implamented i'd be well happy.. as i know 1 of the troublemakers is useing a virtual ip so its constantly changeing when we get rid of him. . i have my game to list multikeys and ips and all that.. and tobe honist there not that smart. they always say sumthing or tell someone its them and they get reported lol..

Yea, it should be out this coming week.
Yurgeta wrote:
how do u ban people when there masking there ip adress and useing alt keys..

A good way to ban someone is by using a combination of techniques, and the best way to keep somebody out is to give them no incentive to return.

You should try to use a combination of banning the IP that they're using, as well as sending off a cookie to their machine, combined with a good moderation team who will ban them on the spot the second they step into the game.

The faster they get banned, the less incentive they get to try again. Other things that give people less incentive are by not engaging with them in arguments whenever they may start them. This may prove difficult if you have players who tend to join such verbal fights.

If all fails, it may be possible to indeed ban them by IP range. This will only work if they are simply reconnecting their router and obtaining a dynamic IP address from their ISP. Note that if you ban by IP range you will ban everyone who has an account at that ISP, so you may need to whitelist certain keys that do have access and send a message to those that get accidentally banned so they can contact you to get whitelisted.

On the other hand, if they're using proxy servers to connect, there may be no stopping them, as those devices give off IP addresses of all sorts of ranges. It may however be possible to obtain a list of known proxy addresses and ban those ahead of time.

we've pagebanned, hostbanned and banned ingame somuch for the same 2 people yet there still comming back and causeing trouble.. 1 has even started to issue threats..

Note that a pagerban isn't really supported anymore, as this is old stuff. A pager ban doesn't really ban all the IPs the offender connects with, although it does ban the original key. And a pager ban only works if the host is logged into the BYOND pager.

A host ban will ban the key and IP address, and if either one of them logs in it will ban whichever of the two has changed (i.e. login with another key but the same IP, that key gets added to the same ban).