ID:1592237

(See the best response by Higoten.)
I'm having this problem, and nothing has worked. I've rebooted Byond, restarted my comp, disconnected/reconnected my internet, I've uninstalled/reinstalled Byond, deleted the cache, gave Byond full access through my firewalls and anti viruses, updated Byond to current and I'm still not able to connect to any games or servers. It says "Connection Failed" or "Byond Central is not accessible" etc etc. But other people are currently playing the same game... Is there ANYTHING I can do to fix this? I was just playing yesterday (From time of posting.)
Hi John_pyro,

The "BYOND Central is not accessible" message typically indicates that the BYOND pager is unable to communicate with the BYOND hub. This is often due to a configured firewall, but may be caused by other factors.

As a diagnostic test, try to ping the BYOND hub. This will report weather or not your computer is actually able to reach the BYOND hub.

To Ping the BYOND Hub:
  1. Open the Start Menu.
  2. Select Run...
  3. Type cmd.
  4. Click OK.
  5. Type ping hub.byond.com.
  6. Press enter.

If the ping times out, or reports excessive packet loss, this indicates that your computer is not actually able to reach the BYOND hub, and is most-likely an upstream issue which will need to be resolved with your Internet Service Provider (Some ISPs block BYOND traffic, mistaking it for malicious activity).

If the ping completes successfully, then that suggests that something else is restricting BYOND from reaching the BYOND hub. This is usually caused by a firewall(Windows firewall, antivirus firewalls, etc), but may be caused by any conflicting program.

Since you were able to connect successfully in the past, have you made any changes to your computer (New programs, updates, hardware changes, etc) since then?

Good luck!
It timed out at first, then I looked again and said Packets: Sent 4, received 0, lost 4. However, my cousin is able to play fine - So I agree that it has to be something in my computer. But I don't recall adding anything to my computer that would affect byond (Or adding anything at all).
For clarification, is your cousin able to play games successfully on your (home?) Internet connection?

Given that the ping had failed, I'm led to suspect that this is not a configuration problem on the computer. For more diagnostic details, run a tracert on the BYOND hub and post the results here.

To Run a Tracert on the BYOND Hub:
  1. Open the Start Menu.
  2. Select Run...
  3. Type cmd.
  4. Click OK.
  5. Type tracert hub.byond.com.
  6. Press enter.
  7. When the trace completes, left click the title bar.
  8. Edit.
  9. Use Mark to select the section you wish to paste, and press enter to copy.

This will report what servers the request is processed though on it's way to the BYOND hub. It should show us where the packet is getting lost or forgotten.
My cousin can successfully play any game he chooses. As far as the trace, results = 1 - 30 Request Timed Out
I noticed something, when I uninstall byond it keeps a lot of files under the name "byond" (Of course) - would it be safe to simply delete everything that comes up in the search under "byond" and THEN reinstall?
Best response
Does your cousin use the same network that you are using? If he is not, then that may be why he can play BYOND games. You may find that if you use his network connection (If you visit his house, etc) you should be able to play BYOND games. Vice versa, if he uses your Internet connection (He visits your house, etc) he should not be able to connect to BYOND games.

Can you post more details of the trace? The results that you posted suggest that it failed, but doesn't indicate where it got lost.

The BYOND folder that you found after uninstalling BYOND is the folder which holds all of the configuration information which BYOND uses. If you don't have any information you would like to maintain between uninstalls, you can delete this folder, or if you want to hold onto it, you can rename it "old_BYOND" and when the pager is next launched, it will regenerate a new BYOND configuration folder.
Me and my cousin live in the same house and use the same internet. And as far as the folders, there are MANY folders some of which say byond and some of them are some how connected to it - not sure if deleting them all would affect my computer. If they dont negatively affect my computer, I would be more than happy deleting them. I have no characters or modifications that I care to lose (I can always remake macros.)and I'm currently rerunning the trace - The results are different from last time. Last results said "1 X X X timed out" and did that for the next 29 #s. This time however, only 1-7 timed out. And the others are showing some strange kind of code or link (Obviously not a usable/clickable link.) For example: #13 says "110ms 125ms 147ms ae0.bbr02.wb01.sea02.networkplayer.com [173.192.1] that dont all say networkplayer, some say a series of (seemingly) random letters/numbers with a gin.ntt.net and then different numbers within brackets, and the last one
Which only went to #16 says tesla.byond.com