ID:1596741

Keywords: story
Every game has a story.

Nouns that do things under rules of the world for a reason/ to accomplish goals.

The kind of story it is when these rules change changes what the nouns can do and optionally the reason they do what they do.

Tetris- blocks that go down to fill up space- their story

Football- Players that fight to move the ball up the field or stop its movement.

Any game you can think of that doesn't fit this definition of story?
I'm tempted to say "Naruto" and leave it at that.

I just don't really understand the point here, though.

Your definition is a little unnecessarily vague.
I'm not really sure why this is even in Design Philosophy.
You don't understand the definition. Thought it was easy to understand. I'm using plain english no BYOND syntax.
Story is a design philosophy in game design. The point is to categorize games
I'm using plain english

For the record, the problem isn't with the words you are using, but rather, the underlying message you seem to be trying to communicate.

It feels like you are trying to say something, but just... Never quite stop beating the bush to do it.
In response to Sir Quizalot
Sir Quizalot wrote:
Story is a design philosophy in game design

Indeed it is, however, this seems like a developous post at its best. Your other posts have been held in the same regard, although you're lacking nexus, bribes, and bounties to keep us interested.
I said what I'm trying to say. Can you think of any game that doesn't fit the category. I just want to have a discussion.
Can you think of any game that doesn't fit the category.

No, I can't think of a single game that doesn't have nouns doing things. I don't think your definition is valid because it's too broad. It has no worth as a discussion.

"All things that are blue are blue. Discuss."
A response gets a response what more can you expect. I think I've been very clear on what the question is. The reason is I want to discuss the question.
Ok thanks anybody else.
I'm beginning to think Sir Quizalot is Developous's offspring.
In response to EmpirezTeam
He just hasn't quite matured in the nexus yet.
Developous said give him back his cat. So naruto got it?
Can I just say Tetris doesn't have a story? Games don't need stories the same way they don't all fit into the same black and white categories.

Tetris is a philosophical insight about the struggle and what it all amounts to.

Games don't need stories. Pong has no story. Tetris doesn't have a story. Strictly speaking, what you're talking about are role-playing games which rely on the user becoming engaged to what's happening to function.
Games themselves are stories. A narrative is a method to telling a story. Not all games have narratives/ dialogue. There are many ways to communicate a world with nouns that can do certain things under those rules.
But Tetris doesn't have a story. The definition you're using is extremely flawed. "Nouns doing things" isn't a story.

"The kind of story it is when these rules change changes what the nouns can do and optionally the reason they do what they do."

But who was phone?
In response to Jittai
Tetris did have a story.

"In the year 3000, mankind has perished, along with all other natural life forms on planet Earth. As a result, the celestial beings who created Earth and its inhabitants were now left without a source of amusement. Rather than creating an entirely new world, the celestial beings devised a new method of entertaining themselves. By harnessing the spirits of all the creatures that died on Earth, they were able to forge "soul blocks", which varied in size, shape, and color depending on the types of spirits the blocks consisted of. Then, two celestials would compete against each other - one would drop the blocks from above and try to overwhelm his opponent, while the other would shift and maneuver the blocks to stack them as efficiently as possible. After a few days, the celestial beings all came together and decided that their new pastime was so amazing, it deserved a name. Finally, they all came to a decision. Their new game would be known as...

TETRIS."
So tetris' story is the development of tetris?
Page: 1 2