ID:1598365

Applies to:Dream Maker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
I was on IRC other day and someone was complaining that they always forgot if they compiled SS13 or not after they made their changes BEFORE they started dream daemon. It takes a while so they do other things while they wait and then they sometimes forget if they compiled. So they compile again.

Except it appears that it does a full compile.

Someone in IRC then told me that if you do Run it won't recompile unless it has to. The problem with using run is that it runs in safe mode and I have to keep authorizing file usage.

So what I would like as a feature

----
"Compile" to Not compile if there were no changes.

OR

Configution options for "Run" to run in a security mode you choose: "Trusted", "Safe"
yeah it would be awesome for byond to automatically compile instead of having a manual button
Safe mode does not usually ask to authorize file usage, unless it's accessing files outside of the DMB directory. That's ultra-safe mode.

It only runs in ultra-safe mode by default if the DMB name does not match the directory name. Safe mode is usually fine, and default, and there's nothing wrong with that.
Sure if you only want it to default to safe mode or trusted mode. What if you wanted ultra-safe?
If you want ultra safe, rename the folder to something different than the dme. It's trusted you can't get with run.

At its core, I think applying the same logic of "no changed files, don't recompile" that running has to compiling would be great.
In response to Rockdtben
Rockdtben wrote:
Sure if you only want it to default to safe mode or trusted mode. What if you wanted ultra-safe?

really, you'd only want trusted if you're using DLLS or accessing files outside of the DMB directory.

you pretty much never want ultra-safe. getting around ultra-safe is easy enough.

what exactly is the issue? if you "run" in DM, it should be safe and there should be nothing asking you about files.
The setup being used here has a git repo called "-tg-station" and a dme called tgstation, so it defaults to ultrasafe.
git clone [my URL] tgstation

Now it'll run in safe mode? Or just rename the folder, git shouldn't care.
I'm aware of that, I'm just saying that's probably why there's confusion over the defaults.