ID:1599618

Hi Guys, i'm a 13 yearold that wants to be a game developer. I just found this website while trying to look for game programming softwares and I just want to know the difficuty in programming is this software? Also, i want to know where do i start? And the limitations? Lastly, is this community good, will they stand by me with troubles in programming?

Where do i start?
The language is quite easy to learn. Here is the guide -- which you should read and use to practice. BYOND Whitepaper has a decent summary of the engine. As for the community helping you with programming issues, it really depends on you. For the most part, we have helpful users, but a lot of us give up on people who refuse to learn the language and want us to give them code snippets for their game instead.
Oh I see, this is a 2D only game maker? Also may I ask do I have to pay for all of the games? I tried to sign into a nice looking game called NEStalgia and it didn't work said I needed to purchase something.
In response to A1i3n
A1i3n wrote:
Oh I see, this is a 2D only game maker? Also may I ask do I have to pay for all of the games? I tried to sign into a nice looking game called NEStalgia and it didn't work said I needed to purchase something.

Yes, it's a 2D engine -- although we do have isometric support if that tickles your fancy.

You ( usually ) don't have to pay for games. It's up to the developer, but for the most part, they're free to play! I think they exceptions are NEStalgia and Epic: Legend. As for NEStalgia specifically, I think it's $15/month. I could be wrong, but that was the price I last recall seeing on Steam.
Dang, it looked like a nice game :(.
Let me interject and say NEStalgia is a one time payment of $15.

As for the community part of your question, you win some you lose some, and it's odds and ends with this community. You either get good responses and help or you don't.

It's fun.
NEStalgia has a demo.

Also, define "troubles in programming". People will get anal if you don't actually learn the language and instead ask questions for the sole purpose of having someone type the exact lines of code out for you. For example, we had some guys in the past ( and we probably still do right now, I wouldn't know because I don't browse that part of the forum much anymore ) who would say things like, "How do I make a beam code?" and they would get answers like "Create an object, and make it move in the direction of the src whenever an instance of it is created in the game."

But because the guy didn't know how to program, he had no idea how to make an object, or how to make an object move, or what src was. It's kind of the equivalent of being in a classroom. Your teacher isn't going to jump out of her seat every time you raise your hand and walk you through every single problem on your assignment, because if she did, she'd be doing the work and not you.

Also, don't worry about limitations. I'd say that one of the largest contributing factors to the lack of productivity on BYOND through the years has been the fact that people get obsessed over what BYOND can't do. It's more than powerful enough for a 13 year old starting out, and if you opt to use any other engine, you'll be writing your own networking.
I'm so happy to find this website. I'm already starting my game look at my first planet ever made :).

Planet 1: To Be Named
In response to A1i3n
Is that your map that you created and screenshotted, or just a mock-up drawing as to what you'll be doing?

If you ever need questions on how to do anything, feel free to visit the Developer Help forum to ask quick questions. But, don't rely on it too much. Try and solve things for yourself by checking out the Reference Guide, which is also accessible within the Dream Maker program by pressing F1. You can press CTRL+F to find what you need, or if you're on Dream Maker then just search for what you need in the search bar. Over time, you'll remember what you program naturally. So long as you read before copying and pasting!
Its a planet I created to show pretty much what I will be doing.
In response to A1i3n
A1i3n wrote:
Its a planet I created to show pretty much what I will be doing.

It looks interesting. Very simple. Yet, it could just as much enjoyable. Go for it.
Well, I just tried to program my first planet not sure if i did a good job since this is pretty much my only programming in the whole source, Can you give me some ways to improve it? Sorry if I am acting like the people that you don't like in this community.

obj
Planets
New()
..()
walk_rand(src,0)
obj
Planets
Planet1
icon = 'Planet1.png'
bound_height = 100
bound_width = 100
density = 0
Bump(atom/O)
if(O.density == 0)
step_away(O, src)
In response to A1i3n
Such a child prodigy. You're going to make it far if you've done so good thus far. It looks perfectly fine. Except, it seems like you'll only be walking randomly once. Try looking in to a while() or for(). Depending on how you want it to be done. You'll want to wrap it around the <code>walk_rand(src,0)</code> code and control it with a <code>sleep()</code> to make sure it doesn't run too fast. If it runs too fast, you'll encounter issues where the CPU will heat up and bottleneck as a result. Other than that, I would assume everything is just fine.

Except.. is the planet suppose to have a density of 0? That means things can walk through it. Do you want people to walk in to it? Bump() will still take effect regardless. But, this all depends on your requirements.
In response to Xirre
Xirre wrote:
Such a child prodigy.

Forum_account reincarnated.

OUR PRAYERS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED. THE SAVIOR HAS COME!
I think this one works. Right? BTW I can just edit the bump to make players go through.

obj
Planets
Planet1
icon = 'Planet1.png'
bound_height = 100
bound_width = 100
density = 0
Bump(atom/O)
if(O.density == 0)
step_away(O, src)
New()
walk_rand(src,0,1)
..()
Oh please there's plenty of good programmers on DM. They just keep to themselves and only keep things to themselves.
I need to improve my art too T.T.

My first building
Why is it that bound_height and bound_width doesn't work on turfs?
turf
Buildings
Building1
icon = 'Building1.png'
bound_height = 50
bound_width = 50
layer = 99
density = 1

loading AlienLand.dme
Graphics\WorldMap\Turfs.dm:5:error: bound_height: undefined var
Graphics\WorldMap\Turfs.dm:6:error: bound_width: undefined var

bound_height and bound_width only work on atom/movable, so it only works on mobs and objs. If you want to make bounding boxes for turfs then you'd need to make them yourself.
So by make them your self do you mean i have to make a turf that has a density of one and start filling it up until I get to the amount of bounding boxes i wanted?
Page: 1 2