ID:1602899

It seems like the majority (including myself) seem to drift away from game development mostly due to the lack of motivation to really carry through an idea.

Those with published games: What do you do to really keep yourself going? Is it when you first see progress, when you build up a small community, or simply you have some non-human willpower that we all need to pray for?
While I don't have anything complete, the source of my motivation varies depending on the size of the project.

If I'm fully capable of developing the game alone or with very little outside assistance, my motivation tends to come from progress and playability. From there I enjoy making updates, optimizing systems, and fixing bugs. Unfortunately, my motivation is sapped if the amount of progress I've made over time is insufficient.

If it's a team effort, motivation comes from either the progress my teammates are making or from whatever fan base I have. For the most part, it starts with the progress my teammates are making and then the community takes over once we have something presentable. My motivation tends to drain if my teammates fall behind / give up.

If money were a factor motivation wouldn't be much of an issue, but for the most part I'm a hobbyist developer ( if that ).
I only ever got close to finishing anything by trying again and again. And I must say, it really helps if you show some work to your peers and get positive feedback.