EmpirezTeam, you ain't shit and you suck.
In response to Ss4toby
Ss4toby wrote:

Now now, Toby. Let's not be rash.
In response to Ss4toby
Ss4toby wrote:

Fight me IRL bro
Too many Navy SEALs here.

While this is pretty late, considering, I'd like to apologise to OP, for being quite so off-topic.

If OP would like, I can split the thread in two?
HI
In response to Stephen001
Stephen001 wrote:
While this is pretty late, considering, I'd like to apologise to OP, for being quite so off-topic.

If OP would like, I can split the thread in two?

Let's just make this a cut-off point and start talking about the topic again.

@OP: Could you perhaps tell us more as to what direction you're going in with this game?
@Stephen001: Feel free to split the topic as you want ;)
I really don't mind!

@Xirre: As I said in a previous post, the reason why I'm focused on this fan-game and not some other project is because of a few BYONDers who said it was impossible to recreate a Pokemon game and made fun of me.

The 2 BYONDers are Yutput and ExPixel. I'd like to prove to them that it is actually feasible and even though I may be far bellow their programming skills, it's not a question of "experience" with the DM language that will help you, but your motivation. With that said, I'd like to add that I had the motivation to finish this project thanks to all their hating.

In your face, Yut Put and ExPixel!
The project isn't released yet though :P

Hopefully by July 1st you guys can be the judges and see for yourselves.
I guess no one remembers, but the GBA games were practically remade years ago on BYOND. I can no longer remember the name of the game Pokemon.. something with a B? But it was back in the FRLG ish era, the battle system and all was literally just like the GBA games, it was very nice.

I cannot remember if there was trainer AI however, but there was wild pokemon AI.
Falcon lazorz wrote:
Ter13 wrote:
Genuinely not bad on those maps, Reina. They are actually really interesting, as far as pokemon maps go. Pokemon maps tend to be roughly rectangular/square for each area, but yours have a bit of meander to them, which is really unique.

Well done.

The pokemon maps were designed like that for a reason, because of the movement system. It doesn't really make sense to have a diagonal map if the player can only move in four cardinal directions. It's nice to look at but it's pretty impractical.

I made the maps diagonal specifically so that players don't walk in a straight line to reach point B from point A. I see many BYOND games do this and to me it's a bit frustrating. As well as the rectangular/square nature of patches of grass/routes and such, I wanted to move away from that because the game wouldn't really feel natural if it were just in squares of grass.

I do understand that the design does move away from traditional Pokemon Games, but in the end I feel like it be the right decision to move away from tradition. While some games may allow you to move from point A to point B in a straight line, I feel like if players were to move in all directions to reach their destination, it would be more interactive on a basic level.
Well reasoned, you'll find no argument from me here. A more organic map is definitely not a bad thing for the exact reasons you gave.
What? No argument? This is BYOND! There's no such thing as "no argument" or "fair play" here.

Someone better disagree with Miss Reina right now or we're going to have some problems.
EmpirezTeam wrote:
What? No argument? This is BYOND! There's no such thing as "no argument" or "fair play" here.

Someone better disagree with Miss Reina right now or we're going to have some problems.

I dislike the fact that we are in agreement.

This looks pretty good o_O

The only things I noticed:

Ice Town: The ground is the same throughout the area in the picture, maybe there should be a footprint here and there, or something that makes some random snow entities unique.

Underwater: The color of the grass is a bit too light for the rest of the area (Assuming it is an underwater area), it distracted me from the other parts.

EDIT: Maybe consider adding another short water route or two? They're both in the same general (y) area.
Yut Put has a good point. It does seem like aesthetics are becoming decreasingly important in video games, advertising, etc. Here are some examples:

http://www.neatorama.com/2012/07/04/ evolution-of-windows-logo/#!3aOc0
http://boltgroup.com/brand/brand-blog/ brand-personalities#.U6m-Hvm7xng

The world has already started to focus more on content rather than visual design itself. Consider Pokemon X/Y, or a fairly large portion of Pokemon games, maybe even a big chunk of games in general, once you defeat the Elite Four, there might be a couple of things to do post-game, but other than that, there isn't really that much to do. This is however, an online game, the more room you have to work with, the more room you have to add content that will keep players coming back for more. A couple of Lilycove Cities or a Goldrenrod, a Silph Co., that kind of stuff would really help a game out. You want to keep players occupied as long as possible, which is mainly possible through a greater amount content.
I like how we're talking about space to put content, but never mentioning what that content is.
Yut Put wrote:
MissReina wrote:
Dark-DVF wrote:
@KidPaddle45

It would be nicer, though.

I tried to make larger maps, but it didn't turn out well. Having larger maps would mean having large voids and large buildings with nothing to do inside of them. Instead of having a large town, I went with smaller and more compact town.

So what you mean to say is that instead of having cities and towns with actual npcs and content etc, you just mapped out a bunch of houses and called it a town?

If you're struggling with "large buildings with nothing to do inside of them", it's probably because you lack designs as a whole?

You haven't seen all of the map.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
I like how we're talking about space to put content, but never mentioning what that content is.

Content = dailies.

Bam, mystery solved.

One of my favorite things to do back in Pokemon Crystal was battle at that Battle Tower thing. Make a Battle Tower, and make a daily quest that requires the player to win one series of battles at said tower, and you've got yourself some quality end-game content.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5