ID:1604387

In my game certain dexterity determines how fast you move and how fast you attack. I was wondering what would be better from a design standpoint; attack/movespeed constantly changing or changing upon hitting a threshold. Like the attack speed staying at 1 all the way until you hit 200 dexterity or updating the whole way through instead of of being 1.5 at 150 dex, 1.99 at 199 dex, etc.

When it constantly changes the player can't immediately feel the benefit of their progress. With threshold its much more obvious.

Threshold promotes people to get to X dexterity then stop increasing it because they would have to gain a lot to feel the pay-off once again. Constantly changing doesn't have this effect, people'll stop increasing a stat once they feel like they have enough of it and makes builds a lot more fluid/diverse.

What do you prefer in a game?
"When it constantly changes the player can't immediately feel the benefit of their progress. With threshold its much more obvious."

That's the key part. And it depends on what you basically want. There's not really anything better or worse about the two.
Either way to the player it does the same thing, it's not going to make much difference in terms of efficiency which way you do it either. So it's entirely up to how you'd prefer to do it.
I personally prefer constant change. Thresholds tend to set gaps between players similar in level and I'm not a big fan of that (for example, your game has a threshold boost set for level 50, but I'm only level 49 while my opponent is level 50--one level difference shouldn't make that much of a difference, but that's my opinion).

I came to this conclusion while brainstorming my own game's mechanics a while back. I originally was going to use thresholds, but a friend of mine brought up this very same point I'm making now.