ID:1606376

What's the time you usually realize that it's seriously late when you're programming and end up going to sleep?
When birds chirp.
I spent 8 months working for a Danish startup company, as pretty much their main guy for "it's all gone wrong, please save us". The bulk of the software was written by a self-taught programmer, very hastily.

I'm not saying the software was crap but ... the software was crap. As a consequence, it would break probably ... daily, at worst, weekly at absolute best. Usually it was closer to daily. The software had about 4 different kinds of components, duplicated for redundancy, across 8 rackspace servers. We had 3 clusters of this (NA, EU, Asia), so a total of 24 machines / actual component installs that could go wrong.

Needless to say, I worked a lot of late nights in this role. About ... 3 AM, was the point where the company would order me pizza and beers delivered to my house. So 3 AM was my "seriously late" for those 8 months. Then up at 10 / 11 AM, to rinse and repeat.
Lol. You wake up at 10/11 AM? I go to bet most times at 5AM and wake up at 2:00PM - 4:00 PM. It's ridiculous. It's gotten to the point where I had to tell myself, "No later than twelve... No later than twelve!!" I was doing good going to bed earlier. Until 2 days ago when I started writing a JQuery script for my website that's meant for twitch. I wanted everything perfect before I went to bed.. Ended up working in it from 11PM to 4AM when my mother finally told me, "Go to bed." Then I looked at the time and was shocked. Time really flew by.
I have a window next to my desk that faces east so usually the sky's transition from black to that lighter blue color in the early morning will catch my attention, haha.
In response to Kumorii
Kumorii wrote:
I have a window next to my desk that faces east so usually the sky's transition from black to that lighter blue color in the early morning will catch my attention, haha.

The sun is right behind my monitor. I have the curtains closed most of the time to prevent glare and to stop the sun from beaming in to my eyes at times. Regardless, sometimes I get so focused that I don't really pay attention to the time at all. And it's obvious that it's now morning since the sun has started rising.
i know its late when i have to duct tape my eyes open
A long time ago, my father said goodnight and went to bed while I was writing DM code. When he got up for work the next morning I was still there :D

Now that I am an adult and I don't have all the free time in the world to throw away, care about the well being of my mind and body, and have responsibilities, I rarely stay awake past 2 or 3 am. And if I am up that late it's usually because I have been partying, watching a movie, or playing games rather than trying to make them. I find it really hard to continue programming or pixeling or mapping when I am tired.

Also, I get up between 6 and 7am most mornings. So by 3am I am friggin' tired
i know its to late when the wife starts screaming my name in bloody murder to get to bed.
I know it's too late when my eyes make noises when I blink.
In response to Jittai
Jittai wrote:
I know it's too late when my eyes make noises when I blink.

I'll be sure to check myself for that.. o.o I never bothered to see if my eyes made noise.
It sounds like rubber or leather rubbing against each other with a hint of squeaking.
I've was programming for almost 24 hours with a gallon of coffee.

My brother gave me this look when he woke up to see me still on the computer 'cause he knew I was still up from when he told me good night when I was on at 5:00AM.

My eyes were blood red.

I was probably on at 5:00PM Jul 24 - 6:00PM Jul 25.