ID:1610171

Keywords: shadowdarke
I've been attempting to contact Shadowdarke for a good while now, about a year. Never got a response on his msn / skype / emails.

If anyone knows him personally or has contact info for him I'd greatly appreciate it. I know he used to be a big part of the community at one point in time.
I'm 99% sure he's long gone. What's your question? Perhaps someone still around can help out.
I had been trying last year to get Darke Dungeon to run on a Linux VPS yet it would continually crash. I believe it crashed due to the fact that it needed to check the host's membership to Byond. I recall the longest I ever got it to work was about 20 minutes but on average it only lasted around 30 seconds.

I'm not positive that's the reason for the crash, but I believe it is.

I made several posts on the forum and tried to contact Tom I think at the time to see about getting some kind of start script that would allow you to put the membership information in there but I never got any headway on that.

I don't have a linux VPS currently to try and debug it again, though I was thinking about renting one to host some Byond games again as well as other stuff.
Strange, this is all I get

root@Dan:~/DarkeDungeon# DreamDaemon DarkeDungeon.dmb -trusted -logself

# LOG

Thu Jun 26 00:58:45 2014
World opened on network port 50348.
Welcome BYOND! (5.0 Version 504.1232)
The BYOND hub reports that port 50348 is reachable.

And it just closes itself.

Found a log file inside save/admin/

Darke Dungeon initializing (Thu Jun 26 00:57:10 2014)
------------------------------------------
Illegal hosted world:

Darke Dungeon initializing (Thu Jun 26 00:58:01 2014)
Illegal hosted world:

Darke Dungeon initializing (Thu Jun 26 00:58:52 2014)
Illegal hosted world:

Also nothing inside save/admin/server.cfg

Does it work ok on Windows?

http://shadowdarke.byondhome.com/forum/ forum.cgi?action=message_read&id=3800&forum=4&view=0&display =1
It works just fine on windows, just not linux. My internet here at home is pretty cruddy though so I can't run it here, and windows based VPS tend to be a little pricey. I can run quite a few other Byond games just fine on linux, just, not Darke Dungeon.

'"GameMasters still need a BYOND Membership to share their Darke Dungeon world with others online."
'

Since it works just fine with my membership here at home, on windows. (just can't run it because of transfer rates) I suspect that it's a problem with membership hosting on linux.
In response to Drakemoore
Drakemoore wrote:
It works just fine on windows, just not linux. My internet here at home is pretty cruddy though so I can't run it here, and windows based VPS tend to be a little pricey. I can run quite a few other Byond games just fine on linux, just, not Darke Dungeon.

'"GameMasters still need a BYOND Membership to share their Darke Dungeon world with others online."
'

Since it works just fine with my membership here at home, on windows. (just can't run it because of transfer rates) I suspect that it's a problem with membership hosting on linux.

Issue is Linux won't have an actual key for authorization, the game is expecting a key so it can check if that key has a BYOND Membership or not.

This is issues on both sides ShadowDarke should've expected users to host on Linux and not had this check. On the other side BYOND should really allow keys (with auth) on Linux .. stupid in my opinion that they don't already have it.

I see you've already replied to this request - http://www.byond.com/ forum/?post=91972&hl=linux%20key#comment6211761

Pretty sickening that it hasn't even been answered since 2010...
Yeah, I don't know. I really wish Tom or one of the other BYOND dev's would look into the problem or at least make note that it's something that can be fixed.

It's not the only game that I've run across with this problem, although I can't recall the others off hand at the moment.
I sent out an email to Shadowdarke so hopefully he sees it. We don't have time at the moment to update the server to provide this authentication, but we will keep it in mind. Agree that it is an oversight.
In response to Tom
Tom wrote:
Agree that it is an oversight.

Thanks Tom.
I did anticipate that need to host from Linux, but my solution was inelegant. I don't have the source code with me at present and it's been a long while since I've been comfortably familiar with it, so I'm not certain this will work or the details. I believe that if run it on Windows and log in with your GM key to that server, it will save the key name in one of the configuration files. All you'll have to do then is copy that config file to your Linux server and you should be able to host.

The "DD Hub" (not the BYOND hub, but a separate reporting site for DD servers) is supposed to prevent you from hosting more than one world with the same key so that you can't exploit that feature. I think that DD Hub check in may be part of the problem with your hosting. The DD Hub has never worked quite right.

I will work on scrubbing the check-in requirements from server code so that people can play and host without hassle. I don’t have a timetable of when you can expect a fix. I tried to get back into BYOND about a year ago and it just didn’t quite happen.
In response to Shadowdarke
Shadowdarke wrote:
All you'll have to do then is copy that config file to your Linux server and you should be able to host.

Hopefully this work around would fix the issue at hand all together.
I'll have to try that but am nearly positive that I attempted that before. I copied the directory for DarkeDungeon from my windows box to the linux VPS I had at the time. I also tried copying the config files on a clean install.

I'll have to see about getting a linux box up and running again to be sure about it.

If there's any chance that you can remove the check from it so that the game can be openly hosted that would also be great. It really is a good game and I'd like to see it played more.

While it's off topic, no pun intended. If you ever decide to open the source up on your games I hope Darke Dungeon is one of them. :)
Update: So far am hosting it on a linux VPS after copying it and it does seem to be working.

I have 'no' idea why it's working this time and it wasn't before. Perhaps it was a hub issue before. But I would still very much like that requirement to be removed whenever you have a chance ShadowDarke.
Darke Dungeon's an excellent game by the way and am hoping to have it hosted for a good while.
Any chance you could get that check removed sometime SD? My membership ran out earlier this year and as a result so did hosting of DD. The game has sort of a cult following in the community and it'd be nice to keep it going on a routine basis.
Apply for a free server on server utility. Server #2, if you will. I'd gladly host it. Just change up the config and get someone else with BYOND membership (or whatever is needed) to help you start it up.