ID:1612123

Not a bug
BYOND Version:506
Operating System:Windows 8 Pro
Web Browser:Chrome 35.0.1916.153
Applies to:Dream Maker

This is not a bug. It may be an incorrect use of syntax or a limitation in the software. For further discussion on the matter, please consult the BYOND forums.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
First I've right clicked an object that I wanted to nudge a few pixels to the east and so I've used the "Make Active Object" option. When nudging it, I noticed that all the same instances of this object on the map were nudged too... I didn't really mind since this is actually saving some time but that is probably also a bug.

Now after repeating this with numerous other objects, I've ran the game to find out that the movement is all messed up. (Jumps from tile to tile instead of gliding. Nothing was done to the movement code, and replacing the map file with an older one fixes everything.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:

Expected Results:
Nudge the selected object a few pixels but not affecting the movement.
Actual Results:
Nudging all same instances of the selected object AND messing up the movement.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?: Everytime
In other games?: Not applicable
In other user accounts?: Not applicable
On other computers?: Not tested.

When does the problem NOT occur?
When I don't nudge objects. I THINK making the object ACTIVE before nudging it might be the cause of the problem.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? I don't know.

Workarounds:
None.
This is intended behavior, as nudging modifies step_x and step_y of the object. This in turn triggers pixel movement mode, but since you're using tile movement none of the necessary variables are set up (step_size), causing the jumps.

A request was made some time ago to add a toggle for which offset (step_x/y or pixel_x/y) the map editor used when nudging.
I see. I tried setting back step_size to 32 (As this is what I want but I still don't get the nice gliding effect it had before)

What are the variables I need to tweak to get this working back? I prefer changing my movement's code manually than reverting back to my old map...I did so much work on it :$
LordAndrew resolved issue (Not a bug)
In response to Kidpaddle45
Well, without changing the map you'd have to somehow put together a movement system that simulates tile gliding, but in actuality uses pixel movement. Or you could open your map file in a text editor and do a find/replace on step_x -> pixel_x and step_y -> pixel_y (but you'd need to do this every time you nudge anything else, since that will still use step_x/step_y).
The 2nd option seems better! Thanks for the quick replies!! :)
In response to Kidpaddle45
No problem!
Place map object -> use Shift + north/south/east/west -> after everything's nudged, convert the map to a .dm file
and replace all instances of "step_x" and "step_y" with "pixel_x" and "pixel_y" -> change it back to a .dmm file.

Replace the .dmm in the file name with .dm

Dreammaker may not update it though for it to be used as such
(doesn't for me, most of the time),
so you'll probably have to close it and reopen it after renaming it (both times).
In response to LordAndrew
LordAndrew wrote:
Well, without changing the map you'd have to somehow put together a movement system that simulates tile gliding, but in actuality uses pixel movement. Or you could open your map file in a text editor and do a find/replace on step_x -> pixel_x and step_y -> pixel_y (but you'd need to do this every time you nudge anything else, since that will still use step_x/step_y).

This worked for me and definitely saved me a lot of work! Thanks :)
since we are necroing this, i should point out that 511 now has a option in the option menu when viewing the map called nudge as pixels, that fixes this.
In response to MrStonedOne
MrStonedOne wrote:
since we are necroing this, i should point out that 511 now has a option in the option menu when viewing the map called nudge as pixels, that fixes this.

Awesome, looks like I need to update and check it out.
In response to MrStonedOne
MrStonedOne wrote:

Thanks! :)