ID:1621067

Not Feasible

Implementing this feature is not possible now or in the foreseeable future
I know that BYOND provide free upload space for members. But how about adding as additional perk, ability to host your world (Dream Daemon) on BYOND servers?

This way people would be able to host persistent worlds without things like no-ip (which Microsoft is currently screwing with), hamachi, etc.

Also without setting up expensive VPSs and hassle of setting things up here.
This way people would be able to host persistent worlds without things like no-ip (which Microsoft is currently screwing with), hamachi, etc.

You need exactly none of these things to host a persistent world. You simply need to set up your port forwarding on your router.
And then have computer running all the time and pay kilometer-long electric bills? No, thanks. Not to mention that I use my computer to other things like 3D renders and games, so server probably wouldn't be able to run smoothly all the time and I don't have old PC laying around to use it as server.

//edit: And port forwarding isn't enough. Ever heard of dynamic IP?
This would be a pretty big loss for BYOND, to provide the hardware required and relevant setup, to make such a service any good.

The bulk of the problem is you're running any old code, no matter how good it is, inside a $1 per month per world budget. So you need to sandbox it tightly, significantly degrading the service provided in terms of CPU time.
And then have computer running all the time and pay kilometer-long electric bills? No, thanks. Not to mention that I use my computer to other things like 3D renders and games, so server probably wouldn't be able to run smoothly all the time and I don't have old PC laying around to use it as server.

Sounds to me like a having, eating cake situation.
BYOND/DUNG actually used to offer BYOND/DUNG-side servers and web space. I don't think it ended up being very profitable.
I've offered to integrate my services with a cut to BYOND and reduced fees for customers.. no reply from Tom.
Well, if there would be easily usable, cheap BYOND hosting (just like there are MC hostings and hosting for fps games) I'd concede this idea, but either they're overpriced or too hard to setup (like xirre's thing, while cheap it's hard to setup and I think it is no longer up).
Nadrew resolved issue (Not Feasible)
BYOND definitely doesn't have the resources to provide hosting to members.
Nadrew, I think it's a bit chicken and egg.catch 22 problem here. You don't have resources for this, because you don't have money, you don't have money because you don't provide any useful services to your users and not many people have money to just donate.

I think to solve that, you'd need to... just start offering hosting. More people buying hosting would mean more money to buy new servers to handle it. To further reduce costs, you can use services like Amazon's cloud. That's what Mojang has been using for Minecraft's login and skin servers and it was working for them quite well.

And as we know, Mojang coders aren't best at optimizing stuff.

Yes, they've moved few months ago to their own servers (although not sure if only skin servers or login servers as well), but until they got big enough to do that they've used AMC to handle all that great traffic.
The issue is you're running other people's code, essentially without any prior quality checking. This isn't really a Minecraft mod scenario, this is people who cannot program, being perfectly allowed to put up code that simply would never run to any degree of success.

Combine that with a veeeery demanding expectation that BYONDers have, ("$3 per month must give me 24/7 hosting that's lag free"), and you basically have a recipe for financial loss and service complaints, when offered large scale.

EC2 only works out financially when you have fluctuations in demand across the day, which the 24/7 requirement BYONDers have to buy-in to such a service wrecks, even if there's no-one on the actual server. Similarly you can't really horizontally scale BYOND worlds without significant prior design that BYOND devs just don't do, so you can't take advantage of EC2 that way either.

It would work as a separate service entirely, charged at more amenable rates. However it would not be a big return, for the technical support outlay, due to the small small margins you need to work with to actually get buy-in.
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
BYOND definitely doesn't have the resources to provide hosting to members.

This is towards everyone.

BYOND may not have the resources. But, would BYOND ever consider promoting someone who would be able to provide these said resources?

Yes, there's the risk that the person you partner up with may not uphold their side of the bargain. But, what if you were to say something along the lines of, "BYOND is in no way affiliated with ."

Affiliated --(of a subsidiary group or a person) officially attached or connected to an organization.

Meaning this said person can leave whenever. And BYOND can leave whenever. Also meaning that if that said person does something illegal or anything stupid, BYOND is not held accountable. Nonetheless, BYOND gets a cut of the money in return for pretty much promoting the hosting services.

BYOND loses nothing. Ever. It's practically a free opportunity. You have the website. To add simple words to promote another, that's also free. You already pay to keep byond.com up. And get this. A.T.H.K. owns BYONDPanel. That name that would already go perfect with BYOND itself.

Of course, A.T.H.K. would have to pay for the server. So, why not offer a BYOND "Premium" membership that costs a bit more to cover the costs for BYONDPanel? It's ingenious!

So, would BYOND ever consider promoting someone who would be able to provide these said resources? Yes or no. :)
I think it's been asked before, and the answer has been no.
In response to Stephen001
is that so? hmmm...
" Also without setting up expensive VPSs and hassle of setting things up here."

Yeah, because BYOND has the capability to get their servers for free.... RIGHT?
In response to Laser50
Yeah, because BYOND has the capability to get their servers for free.... RIGHT?

They have the capability to get free money every month (donations). People want to help. So, they have the capability to get free servers every month. Because? People want to help! Yes! :D