In response to Magicsofa
Then why do we have it? Rather than trying to make things awkward, understand the point.
In response to Kboy33
The DM icon editor was designed for making 32x32 icons only, since that was the only icon size supported initially.

The point is, you can't expect or hope for BYOND to get better. Use it as it is or just move on.
In response to Kaiochao
Kaiochao wrote:
The DM icon editor was designed for making 32x32 icons only, since that was the only icon size supported initially.

The point is, you can't expect or hope for BYOND to get better. Use it as it is or just move on.

My view is that we can only afford to put our time & energy into so many things. Better to try to tackle the bigger problems or the ones that may help us out financially, even though this may result in a lot of failed experiments.

For example, during this last year, we spent a ton of time trying to get multithreading working because it would (in theory) improve the performance of a lot of the larger games, but we haven't figured it out quite right yet. Recently we've put almost all of our time into coming up with and implementing a scalable web-based platform model. Only time will tell if this is successful or another dud.

So while we could certainly improve the icon editor, code editor, etc (and in fact these would be trivial projects compared to what we're trying to do), it would only take away time from things that there currently aren't really workarounds for. The reason we made those formats public (eg, icon is png and the map is a text format) is so that people could implement their own
In response to Kaiochao
Kaiochao wrote:

And that's a limitation. In no way am I complaining, but reporting what it is. I do expect and hope that BYOND will get better since it's not a bad tool for making games. Treating it any differently from other software is just...well...

Tom wrote:
Better to try to tackle the bigger problems or the ones that may help us out financially, even though this may result in a lot of failed experiments.

Fixing the icon editor could help you out financially in the long run. Rather than somebody being reluctant about downloading BYOND and them something else like Gimp, they can just download BYOND and get the icon editor included.

I do understand it's not needed completely, though it's one of the many things that could be done to "improve BYOND". Though still, I digress. Even though this should be in another topic, think about adding membership benefits. It'd be nice to donate to BYOND and get something for yourself by doing so. At least this way you can make people pay $20 for membership and they'll be more than willing to. As it stands, only a few people really want to donate to BYOND, and don't care about whether they gain from it or not (hence the fact the monthly meter hasn't been filled for ages). At the start people were doing it, and then they trailed off. Sounds like BYOND.
In response to Kboy33
Kboy33 wrote:
Fixing the icon editor could help you out financially in the long run. Rather than somebody being reluctant about downloading BYOND and them something else like Gimp, they can just download BYOND and get the icon editor included.

What's wrong with using other image editors though? Having a built-in sprite editor in the IDE isn't exactly a wide-spread thing among game development platforms, so you're most likely going to need an external image editor if you use anything else. Likewise, of course a program created solely to edit images is going to be far more useful than a specific piece of a program that makes up a larger platform.
In response to Kboy33
Kboy33 wrote:
Then why do we have it?

Because BYOND is amazing and gives you all the tools necessary to make a complete game, with the only exception being sound.

Imagine if people were clamoring for a midi sequencer to be built into BYOND. Wouldn't that be completely stupid?

I don't feel that I have to hope for BYOND to get better - it already has. However, I have also gotten better, and instead of stagnating and saying "well I can't edit this huge icon in DM, might as well give up on the whole project since DM doesn't just spoon-feed me and then wipe my ass" I took five minutes to download GraphicsGale.
In response to Magicsofa
What I was getting at is you questioning why I use DM's icon editor to make my artwork. Because I know BYOND's icon editor isn't the best, I use external programs (Paint) and I have no problem with doing so. However, I'm trying to speak from the viewpoint of someone else who doesn't like downloading multiple programs, and so is hesistant to do so.

There will be people who give up of the whole project because DM doesn't spoon-feed them, though we can't just shrug our shoulders and say "well these are the type of people that we don't want" or "the point is, you can't expect or hope for BYOND to get better. Use it as it is or just move on", as BYOND's primary aim is probably to attract an audience. Despite the fact I agree that external programs should be used (because that's what they're there for), I still think this is something that could require future thought.

LordAndrew wrote:
Having a built-in sprite editor in the IDE isn't exactly a wide-spread thing among game development platforms

I guess that's part of BYOND's niche appeal.
In response to Magicsofa
Magicsofa wrote:
I took five minutes to download GraphicsGale.

GraphicsGale is 1.8 MBs.

It took you 5 minutes to download a 1.8 MB file? What kind of internet connection are you on? Do you even broadband, bro?

But back to the subject.

I spent all last night thinking of ways BYOND could get larger. And then it came to me: what better way to draw people in than TESTIMONIALS FROM TWILIGHT ACTRESSES?!?!

In response to EmpirezTeam
EmpirezTeam wrote:
Magicsofa wrote:
I took five minutes to download GraphicsGale.

GraphicsGale is 1.8 MBs.

It took you 5 minutes to download a 1.8 MB file? What kind of internet connection are you on? Do you even broadband, bro?

But back to the subject.

I spent all last night thinking of ways BYOND could get larger. And then it came to me: what better way to draw people in than TESTIMONIALS FROM TWILIGHT ACTRESSES?!?!

"Byond made me look like a rapist, now all the little kids run away from me"

"Edward, is even scared of me"
At the end of day you guys are still here and using the program. GG Tom wins.
I really don't care about the dmi. I think it's really good actually even thou i mostly use Paint.

Btw, for the sound you can just use bfxer.
In response to Ganite
Ganite wrote:

But the reason no one likes BYOND is because there's no membership perks! If only he'd improve the image editor so that it's on par with Photoshop, and postpone HTML5 to work on every single stupid feature request, developers would start pouring in by the thousands! Amirite?
EmpirezTeam wrote:
Ganite wrote:

But the reason no one likes BYOND is because there's no membership perks! If only he'd improve the image editor so that it's on par with Photoshop, and postpone HTML5 to work on every single stupid feature request, developers would start pouring in by the thousands! Amirite?

For image editor atleast BYOND provides its own. Even if it may not be the best. But for feature request I say get those done or atleast acknowledge the decent ones. (But still after HTML5 thats the number 1 right now.)
I still think if Tom ditched the games side of BYOND, brought back blogs, and rebranded BYOND to "blog your own net dream," he'd be rolling in more money than he could ever imagine. At least, I think he would given how many people frequently ask for blogs to return.
In response to LordAndrew
And how few people actually make games. The cynic in me always rolls his eyes at how many people on BYOND look down their nose at everyone that creates content for the website while creating none of their own.
LordAndrew wrote:
I still think if Tom ditched the games side of BYOND, brought back blogs, and rebranded BYOND to "blog your own net dream," he'd be rolling in more money than he could ever imagine. At least, I think he would given how many people frequently ask for blogs to return.

Welcome to STATISTICS TIME with your host... EMPIREZ-SAMA!!!!!!!. Blogs were removed because:

- 50% of the blog posts were titled "Hey guys, check out my new CSS!"
- 30% of the blog posts were titled "Hey guys, look at my title screen!"
- 10% of the blog posts were titled "OMG TEKA THANKS SO MUCH FOR BUYING ME A MEMBERSHIP!"
- 5% of the blog posts were titled "The BYOND moderators suck" or "Silk Wizard is a faggot, because he banned me from NEStalgia" ( never forget )
- The remaining 5% were posts made by the few competent developers on the site who were actually making something.

PROVE ME WRONG.
Son, which one of those did Journalism fall into?
In response to EnigmaticGallivanter
EnigmaticGallivanter wrote:
Son, which one of those did Journalism fall into?

DON'T YOU DARE BRING YOUR BOXES INTO THIS!
EmpirezTeam wrote:
LordAndrew wrote:

Welcome to STATISTICS TIME with your host... EMPIREZ-SAMA!!!!!!!. Blogs were removed because:

- 50% of the blog posts were titled "Hey guys, check out my new CSS!"
- 30% of the blog posts were titled "Hey guys, look at my title screen!"
- 10% of the blog posts were titled "OMG TEKA THANKS SO MUCH FOR BUYING ME A MEMBERSHIP!"
- 5% of the blog posts were titled "The BYOND moderators suck" or "Silk Wizard is a faggot, because he banned me from NEStalgia" ( never forget )
- The remaining 5% were posts made by the few competent developers on the site who were actually making something.

PROVE ME WRONG.

The post that is linked looks wild, wish byond was like that now a days. But say one thing wrong the whole post gets locked.
In response to I2edSmok3
EmpirezTeam wrote:
[much truth]

I don't believe this could be any more accurate.

I2edSmok3 wrote:
wish byond was like that now a days

Um, what?

Edit: I also wanted to say that a bunch of back and forth discussion about what Tom should and shouldn't do to improve BYOND is entirely pointless. At the end of the day, Tom and Lummox are going to continue their routine, and BYOND will progress as they see fit - whether any of us like it or not.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9