ID:1628696

Made this back in April, so i'm dropping the result here for everyone to try. Pretty simple concept but I have some plans, I hope it turns out to be a nice little strategy game to kill some time.

Here's my original post on the topic: http://www.byond.com/members/ ChrisGayle?command=view_post&post=1561302&first_unread=1

Edit on how to play;

Zecronious wrote:
Can you please explain how to play it?

To zoom in & out - Zoom - N & M
To move the camera - Arrow Keys
Click Asteroids to build

There are three buildings, a mine (m) a power station (p) and a habitat (a), a mine will earn minerals, a power station earns power and those two resources are necessary to keep things going.

Habitats create money which is the number on the right hand side of a building's name and all of this is stored in your nearby capital.

With that you can expand until you've built on every asteroid.
In response to Zecronious
Zecronious wrote:

To zoom in & out - Zoom - N & M
To move the camera - Arrow Keys
Click Asteroids to build

There are three buildings, a mine (m) a power station (p) and a habitat (a), a mine will earn minerals, a power station earns power and those two resources are necessary to keep things going.

Habitats create money which is the number on the right hand side of a building's name and all of this is stored in your nearby capital.

With that you can expand until you've built on every asteroid.
Okay thanks so still got a few questions.

Why do the asteroids move super fast at the start then stop moving at all the first time you build?

Why does the game's fps drop super low when you click an asteroid to select it before you move it?

What are the green squares that jump around the asteroids?

How do I win? How do I lose?

What are power money and minerals used for?

How do I know what ones I need?

Finally, why is everything in symbols?
In response to Zecronious
Zecronious wrote:
Why do the asteroids move super fast at the start then stop moving at all the first time you build?

At the start that's just the map building itself, making sure that a certain number of asteroid per size is created and distributed in a desirable fashion.

Zecronious wrote:
Why does the game's fps drop super low when you click an asteroid to select it before you move it?

I can't say I have experienced this, but i'll see if there is anything I can do to solve the issue, I have only tested using my laptop.

Zecronious wrote:
What are the green squares that jump around the asteroids?

Those are droids getting the jobs done, you may notice that it's because of them the values are changing with request being met and structures completed.

Zecronious wrote:
How do I win? How do I lose?

In this version there is no win or lose, you simply expand. In the future however I expect i'll add defending against invaders and more room for growth and exploration.

I'm thinking a single player for sure, but I really want to try and make it so players can exist in a universe, already wrote the "unlimited map" it will need which is what you spawn in, and see your zone load, but i'm just trying to take my time.

Zecronious wrote:
What are power money and minerals used for?

Money is tied into a future plan, however minerals & power are the food & water of your colony, so you have to collect these resources to keep the world turning. In the event that you build outside of what your mines/stations can produce you will watch live as buildings no longer get the resources they need and the people there eventually die.

Zecronious wrote:
How do I know what ones I need?

There's a color code going on in there and the names are pretty straight forward, whenever a building needs power it turns blue & if it needs minerals it turns red. Soon after you'll see a droid attempt to stock up and deliver whatever is available.

Zecronious wrote:
Finally, why is everything in symbols?

Symbols because I just had an idea and I wanted to see it work, so I wasn't too fussy about art. It will need it's upgrades though.