ID:1629849

Hello everyone! Been a while since I have updated this tool. It was a very exciting project when I first released it and I had some positive feedback and many people helping me out. Sadly college, like every year, eats a lot of my time, so I couldn't work on "My Classroom" as much as I used to.

Anyways, now that I've had some free time, I've decided to fix a few things and update the tool. So here it is!

Dreambox V 1.0

-I re-designed the interface a little tiny bit.

-Increased world FPS so all the animations run smooth.

-Included my Interface library (That you should check out) so everything fits with the interface and no more boring alerts/switch pop ups.

-Added a few Teacher's commands so they have more control over their class. I also had teachers that left or that needed to go AFK in the middle of their class, so now they can let someone else take the control of their dreambox if they want to.

-Last but not least, I've added the new BYOND proc,vars and args to the database (which shows up suggestions that you can click to auto-complete your code)

So yeah thanks to Xirre's generosity, Dreambox will be hosted on his shell server and so, up 24/7. Teachers can join the game and host their own private dreambox (Either public or password-protected)

http://www.byond.com/games/Kidpaddle45/MyClassroom

For those who never even heard of Dreambox before, here is a little video showing how it works!

If you can find some decent programmers who're willing to spend their time doing this, it could be very successful.
Thats the problem, no one will spend time teaching, they just link to some tutorial and say "Read this till you understand." which doesn't even work half the time.
The thing is, this was not meant to be a place where teachers are always available. It would be impossible as no one is willing to dedicate all their time for that. I'd need to pay them if that was the case.

What I had in mind was keeping dreambox up for teachers like Ter13 that could host a session once a while (like he does with his snippet sunday topics.) Or a place for quick bug solving instead of waiting for a forums reply. Since this also has an active chat, I think it's a bit faster than using the forums to fix your programming bugs.
Ever think about having keyword colors? Might do a world of good for newcomers to the language.
Where is Kai.
In response to Crazah
Crazah wrote:
Ever think about having keyword colors? Might do a world of good for newcomers to the language.

What do you mean Crazah? O.o
In response to Ganite
Ganite wrote:
Where is Kai.

Working on it alone on my free time. Not giving out updates.
Video of Dreambox (BETA V 1.1 ) -Watch in Fullscreen-

In response to Kidpaddle45
Kidpaddle45 wrote:
Crazah wrote:

What do you mean Crazah? O.o

Keyword highlights.
They are in. It uses the same DM sytnax highlighting.
In response to Kidpaddle45
Oh, nicely done then. My mistake.
Hahhaha no worries! ;

Check out the new video, it also shows the auto-completion feature!
The fact that nobody wants to teach is ridiculous, but nobody wanting to read is worse. I've always learned better when shown how to do something, or by looking at a code snippet so this COULD be a hit.

Albro1 needs to get back to his video tutorials.
In response to UPD4T3
UPD4T3 wrote:
The fact that nobody wants to teach is ridiculous, but nobody wanting to read is worse. I've always learned better when shown how to do something, or by looking at a code snippet so this COULD be a hit.

Albro1 needs to get back to his video tutorials.

Indeed, I also find it easier when there is someone explaining what each line does. Seeing someone doing it in front of me helps a lot. Sadly, as you said, this only lacks people willing to help and teach.
So .. I went to throw this up on one of my boxes for you..

root@Dan:~/dan# wget http://www.byond.com/games/hubdownload/Kidpaddle45.MyClassroom?user=ATHK&hash=56e4e26a4ed1021b14f0891fd54ff44b
[1] 2463
root@Dan:~/dan# --2014-07-18 06:45:26-- http://www.byond.com/games/hubdownload/Kidpaddle45.MyClassroom?user=ATHK
Resolving www.byond.com (www.byond.com)... 50.22.142.18
Connecting to www.byond.com (www.byond.com)|50.22.142.18|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Found
Location: http://files.byondhome.com/download/Kidpaddle45/MyClassroom?user=ATHK [following]
--2014-07-18 06:45:26-- http://files.byondhome.com/download/Kidpaddle45/MyClassroom?user=ATHK
Resolving files.byondhome.com (files.byondhome.com)... 50.22.142.18
Reusing existing connection to www.byond.com:80.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 4478023 (4.3M) [application/zip]
Saving to: âKidpaddle45.MyClassroom?user=ATHKâ

100%[=================================================================================================================================>] 4,478,023 3.96MB/s in 1.1s

2014-07-18 06:45:28 (3.96 MB/s) - âKidpaddle45.MyClassroom?user=ATHKâ saved [4478023/4478023]

mv Kidpaddle45.MyClassroom\?user\=ATHK 123.zip
[1]+ Done wget http://www.byond.com/games/hubdownload/Kidpaddle45.MyClassroom?user=ATHK
root@Dan:~/dan# unzip 123.zip
Archive: 123.zip
creating: byond/
creating: byond/bin/
inflating: byond/bin/byond.exe
inflating: byond/bin/byondcore.dll
inflating: byond/bin/byondext.dll
inflating: byond/bin/byondwin.dll
inflating: byond/bin/dm.exe
inflating: byond/bin/dreamdaemon.exe
inflating: byond/bin/dreamdeploy.exe
inflating: byond/bin/dreammaker.exe
inflating: byond/bin/dreamseeker.exe
inflating: byond/bin/fmodex.dll
extracting: byond/bin/trace.bat
creating: byond/cfg/
inflating: byond/cfg/byond.dmf
inflating: byond/cfg/irc.dms
inflating: byond/cfg/stub.dm
inflating: byond/cfg/telnet.dms
creating: byond/help/
inflating: byond/help/byond.chm
inflating: byond/help/dreamdaemon.chm
inflating: byond/help/dreammaker.chm
inflating: byond/help/dreamseeker.chm
creating: byond/help/ref/
inflating: byond/help/ref/contents.html
inflating: byond/help/ref/index.html
inflating: byond/help/ref/info.html
inflating: byond/help/ref/skinparams.html
root@Dan:~/dan#

Your HUB zip leads to the install files of BYOND. Version 501.1217_byond.zip to be exact.
To launch the tool you'll need to use the "Play Now" button. As for the Download button, BYOND ranks up the game in the listing if there is a Download button (Thats what I noticed) So I added a Download button which leads to a BYOND download :P

But what is all that log you posted? O.o
That would be me trying to download the .zip on your hub...

As for "play now" I don't expect to do that on Linux..

If you don't have any host files up, you shouldn't have a zip link..

I was going to host this for the users 24/7 for the past however long I decided to leave it running, but I can't, sadly.
At the moment it is up 24/7 hosted on Xirre's shell.

If you would like to have your hands on the DMB and RSC to host it on your side, I can send it to you if you want.
Small video with captions explaining how to use Dreambox.
Schedules are now working, you can create events without leaving the tool!