ID:1637121

Hi, I wondered if the HTML5 Client will support maptext, or skin elements (such as input, labels, etc). I read some days ago that the client might be released after some weeks, so I wanted to know a bit more about it's features :)
If I remember right, I think it's been said it will support output and input elements.
It supports most of the existing skin elements but, more importantly, you can define your own elements to do just about anything.

We'll make a more detailed post soon. We plan on releasing this in beta within two weeks.
That's great! Thank you Tom :)
Elements built in so far:

Map
Input (only command-style inputs)
Output
Info (stats, no verbs; not tabified at this time)
Browser
Button
Label
Child (splitter is not draggable)
Pane (only needed for auto-translated .dmf skins; any control can act as a pane)

A subset of the winset params is allowed, with most of the unimportant style-based ones (e.g. border, is-flat, is-transparent, etc.) left out. It will be possible to use this system to define the grid, tab, and bar controls, but they have not been a priority.
In response to Lummox JR
Awesome stuff. Any word on how the HTML5 client will be rolled out? Is it up to us to embed it elsewhere, or will there be a separate pane on hubs?
We're working out the exact specifics still so that's more of a topic for a later post.
In response to Crazah
Crazah wrote:
Awesome stuff. Any word on how the HTML5 client will be rolled out? Is it up to us to embed it elsewhere, or will there be a separate pane on hubs?

As Lummox JR said, it's a bit up in flux, but the idea is that DD will output a url that will encapsulate the entire game, including the login functionality (where we can play an ad to help support the site). You can embed this url anywhere you'd like; in fact, I'm counting on it to help bring in outside users. We'll also provide an embed within the associated hub entry.
In response to Tom
Wow, this is great. I'm really looking forward to trying this out. I'm already thinking of an older game or two I've worked on that would be great playable in the browser.
Tom wrote:
However, with the advent of the webclient, people can take their games off-site and still bring us revenue (if they don't try to skirt around the pre-roll ads or otherwise pay us something to disable them).

I have a few questions regarding the ads. I understand this will possibly be discussed more in the future, but curiosity killed the Big Cat.

1. Is the web-client going to use the same advertisement model as it exists in Dream Seeker?
2. Will BYOND members still be able to disable ads in web games, God forbid?
3. How will the web-client deal with the usage of adblocking software?
1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. We can put some counter-measures and request that people disable adblock or just pay the very small Member fee, but I don't want to get into an arms-race situation.

We'll also eventually provide a way for individual games (or maybe hosts) to make their servers ad-free for a fee.

I don't really consider the pre-game ads a big deal since we aren't aggressive with them and only play them once in a while (as opposed to many sites which spam them constantly). We don't play them on reboot so as to not interrupt the gaming experience.
I see. Thank you for your time, and I wish you the best of luck as you start rolling this out. :)

I actually have one last, unrelated question if you don't mind. Does the web-client use WebGL for rendering or basic canvas drawing?
It uses WebGL but that actually is something that we could easily allow the dev to configure. Pretty much everything about the client can be configured or overriden, since it's in javascript.