I do think the inbetween pose looks the best though.
In response to Jittai
Jittai wrote:

yea lol and as akto said you could just have the sword shown off in the side states
middle one looks more natural/
Use Both. Don't know how your game works but if you say for example utilize different sword styles in your game you could use a different stance for sword style or something.

Ie. A two handed sword user might use stance two as it makes carrying your sword easier to prepare your two handed stance. If the blade is pointed inward it makes taking a stance with two hands slightly less tasking.(Even if you weild a two handed weapon you would have to be able to relax yourself holding the weapon with one hand to realistically weild it, your arms would get tired otherwise, always holding a big sword up with both hands)

Whilst as a One Handed sword user would use the first stance as it allows for a better flow of the hand before beginning your melee combat.

Try picturing it in real life with a stick or an object in your hand.
In response to WeabooGamesInc
WeabooGamesInc wrote:
Use Both. Don't know how your game works but if you say for example utilize different sword styles in your game you could use a different stance for sword style or something.

Ie. A two handed sword user might use stance two as it makes carrying your sword easier to prepare your two handed stance. If the blade is pointed inward it makes taking a stance with two hands slightly less tasking.(Even if you weild a two handed weapon you would have to be able to relax yourself holding the weapon with one hand to realistically weild it, your arms would get tired otherwise, always holding a big sword up with both hands)

Whilst as a One Handed sword user would use the first stance as it allows for a better flow of the hand before beginning your melee combat.

Try picturing it in real life with a stick or an object in your hand.

It's no so much that the sword styles differ(They do a bit), there's 15 different weapon types, and tons of different varieties in each type with their own stats/etc.
These are just idle states, each weapon type will have their own actual combat stance.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This is just a rough example of what I mean, and these are only some of the swords, with the exception of the cleaver being in the "Dagger" category.

Southend_boi wrote:
middle one looks more natural/

You referring to the middle on the original picture or the edit?

Jittai wrote:

Same question as above even though I'm sure I know what you mean.

Akto wrote:
If they really want to stare at their weapon they can turn WEST/EAST.

Zagros5000 wrote:
Jittai wrote:

yea lol and as akto said you could just have the sword shown off in the side states

Should I really force people to turn to have to see how their weapon would look? Not to mention looking at the example image above, can you imagine trying to do those types of weapons in that perspective and getting them perfectly correct?

Making the sword in a natural position isn't forcing the player to do anything. Perspective is perspective. Basically what you are saying is you want the player to always be facing SOUTH, so they can appreciate what the character looks like. If anything you want the player to turn around and see the all the details hidden within the character on all sides.

Let's say you keep pose #2 and the sword is directly in front of the character, to keep the pose the same when the player moves WEST/EAST the sword would again have to be in front of the character. This would be an awkward pose and you would only see one side of the sword.(The thinnest part)

Also, companies almost always show all sides so you can get the feel of the character.
http://files.enjin.com.s3.amazonaws.com/32158/modules/forum/ attachments/jungletrollcouncilor_1384209537.jpg
In response to Akto
So then really, it comes down to deciding to sacrifice correct perspective for detail and vice versa. Which still poses a problem for the type of weapons I've shown in the above post.
(edit)
Then again I'm not that great of a pixel artist to begin with, and maybe that's why that view has me on the edge of the fence when considering the weapons lol.
No, because what we have all been saying is go in between which would mean you would get detail on both.
In response to Akto
You reply way to fast akto -.-, Anyway going on your edit and my edit of your edit both show the sort of "between look" or are talking about even more between that and the full in-front position?

Also as I said if you look above to just a few of the types of swords, some of them I'm not even sure could work in that perspective view. And that's just swords, doing your edit or my edit of your edit perspective for other weapon types like Axes, Hammers, Maces has me a bit concerned :o.
Your position of the sword is the one you want. I just did a quick edit with what I had. They(the weapons) all could work in that perspective. In the end it comes down to what you want and what you are willing to do or change.

Also, I respond quick because I have my pager on so I hear the annoying sound when you or anyone posts.
In response to Akto
I guess I'll just have to see how people respond to the two during testing to really see if it bothers people or if they prefer it really.

And excuse me for being an annoying little sound XD.
Like gosh! Rude. ;3
Wur the mace at aeon
In response to Zagros5000
Being worked on, of course herp.
Just going to say; the pose you edited off akto looks best. If you want them to appreciate swords allow them to see them in full-size from the inventory in a static state where youre looking directly at the sword. You could also use the sheath ability by allowing them to be sheathed on their back while still giving full visibility of the sword. East/West stats work too.
In response to Jittai
Jittai wrote:
Why not both?

Different sword holding styles could be an option. As well as different sheath styles.
I think option #1 looks the best out of them but meh
I agree with the in-between state. You aren't "sacrificing detail", you are just maintaining proper perspective, which involves not showing the entire flat side of the blade while facing downwards. Maintaining a reasonable perspective will be appreciated much more by anyone who actually pays that much attention to the art than being able to see the flat side of the blade while facing south. You should be able to see the flat side of the blade while facing east/west, and being able to see it in the Inventory is a good idea as well.

Holding this off for testing is going to cause you to go with the worse of the options, simply because everyone on BYOND is used to the typical sword positioning (the positioning you are using) and won't complain about it.
use shadow to fix perspective
I'm inclined to agree with Megablaze's previous comments. there's not really any point in having the blade out if you're not in combat. I think the pose itself is a bit off. I mean, I know it's an anime, but in a real fight, you would have both hands on your sword and in a ready position to either strike or defend. The current pose just makes the sword look like little more than a steel prop in your character's hand.

I just think taking a little more effort for a standing out of combat, standing in combat unarmed and standing in combat armed pose would add a really nice dimension that unfortunately you don't see in most BYOND games, but would get you laughed out of the house in any "more professional"* game without it.

*Insert finger air quotes where noted
Page: 1 2 3