ID:1656160

Applies to:Dream Seeker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
As it stands BYOND's integral to several implementations that secretly log user data as well as networking. Not only do some of these implementations compromise our privacy, but they also have an impact on performance.

Upon calling world.Export(), some of the information about the call is logged and sent to BYOND's servers. This results in substantial delayed communication, even when communicating at a lan level.

For those that are reading that don't believe me, go try it for yourself... Host a server, and communicate with it through a local level to see how slow it is... Grab yourself a network profiler while you're at it, and you'll see that it's also being sent to the BYOND server to be logged.

This is absolutely ridiculous. Other programming languages don't operate this way at all.
oh my god BYOND is the NSA

no

if anything is being sent to BYOND, it is essential info. probably to do with the pager and website communication.

In response to Super Saiyan X
Super Saiyan X wrote:
oh my god BYOND is the NSA

no

if anything is being sent to BYOND, it is essential info. probably to do with the pager and website communication.

It's directly associated with the world.Export and world.Topic calls. What you've mentioned wasn't being profiled; you subside the fact that this is affecting performance and calls at a local level shouldn't have that amount of duration between calls.

You've also failed to investigate yourself and conduct tests just as I have, so given your lack of effort your opinion won't be valued anymore.

I've made no mistake, BYOND logs the sender as per request, and it affects the return flow. I'd like this removed.
Hmm, that doesn't sound right. What code are you using on both sides?

Export() is slower than it should be and that is something that we intend to test further down the line, but there's no reason it should be communicating with the hub. A cursory glance at the source code here doesn't show any such thing, but I may be looking in the wrong place as Export() has a number of permutations.
In response to Tom
Tom wrote:
Hmm, that doesn't sound right. What code are you using on both sides?

Export() is slower than it should be and that is something that we intend to test further down the line, but there's no reason it should be communicating with the hub. A cursory glance at the source code here doesn't show any such thing, but I may be looking in the wrong place as Export() has a number of permutations.

Oh gee, maybe it's slower due its implementation of waiting for the conjoined response of its caller and BYOND's server.

Your response to this interests me, say the least. You've operated on such information before which would be otherwise unattainable, to link a liaising malefactor, so I do know for a fact you used to log established connections, but oh... that was confirmed so long ago.

Maybe the implementation has changed since then and the information doesn't get logged anymore, but instead just a redundant call to BYOND is made. I wouldn't know, it's your source.

I'm just somebody here providing assistance to a friend, and I was just seeing if there was to opt that functionality's removal instead of integrating my own third party work.
Yes, we do log connections when players login to the pager, authenticate with a server, or use the website. That is how servers can ban players without having to keep track of identifying information themselves, or how we can block known repeat offenders. However, this has nothing to do with world.Export(), which is either a server-to-server call or a server-to-web call.

Now it may be that there is an unintentional hub connection in there left from some legacy setup (eg, hubfiles), but I don't believe that is the case. I investigated the sluggishness at one point in the past (back when we put in the somewhat failed 'persist' mode) and concluded that is was most likely due to the Topic() being processed as part of the server ticking instead of real-time. However, as Export() has become increasingly used in these larger games and people have requested improvements, this is something I've wanted us to shore up.

Post your test code and the results of your network tests and we'll try it on our end when time permits.
I'm sure if they were actually tracking the calls then you could provide some network traces to back up your facts.