Oh, ok. The plot thickens.
In response to Kozuma3
Kozuma3 wrote:
EmpirezTeam wrote:
Actually you're right, I forgot {Core P3} Never set a boundary on enjoyment.

Forgive me, Developous-sama.

You're forgiven, Baird Techie.

His name was TACO BARN.
This was supposed to be a civil discussion about polish and crunch, not whatever the fuck this is.

I guess pretty much all discussions on here devolve to programmer dick-measuring contests. But we all know I have the biggest programmer dick, so any argument on the matter is moot. Go home.
I don't have much experience with games and large player counts, but I definitely wouldn't consider projectiles to be CPU-intensive.

The OP claims they would be due to constantly changing angles and rotating the icon. Of course, icon rotation is done client-side after the matrix transform is made, which is a lot faster and cleaner than the old method of caching a finite number of icon.Turn() rotations, and it doesn't require the client to download dynamic resources. And CPU usage also depends on how you turn the projectile, whether it's by calling atan2 a lot or using vector math or simple addition/subtraction.

Gameplay does come first, though. Polish comes after. You could make a game with stretched, colored circles and squares, and then if you want, insert fancier art and add fancy effects.

But I don't consider projectiles to be a fancy effect. It's necessary to have a collider move and detect collisions reliably in all directions and at any speed. BYOND's built-in pixel movement doesn't include sub-pixel movements, but I've done plenty of hacks to get around that.
In response to Doohl
Doohl wrote:
This was supposed to be a civil discussion about polish and crunch, not whatever the fuck this is.

I guess pretty much all discussions on here devolve to programmer dick-measuring contests. But we all know I have the biggest programmer dick, so any argument on the matter is moot. Go home.

It could've been civil, but you made the mistake of bringing up CPU issues you're having with projectiles that apparently other developers aren't running into. That presented an opportunity for everyone who actually knows what they're doing to chime in.
In response to EmpirezTeam
Doohl wrote:
With a hundred or so projectiles operating at a given time it doesn't take up a whole lot of CPU, but it's still the most expensive part of the game so far.

pls explain where I said I'm having CPU issues. And pls tell me where the people who know what they're doing are.

I mean, besides Kaiochao.
Doohl wrote:
With crunch comes an obvious overhead. You want to make a special effect when you collect money? That adds unnecessary CPU load. You want to have pixel projectiles with semi-realistic trajectories and homing mechanics? That adds even more load to your game.

Would you also agree that those pixel projectiles with constantly-updating angles and icon rotations are pretty CPU-intensive to do on BYOND?

They use a pretty simple (but expensive) form of spherical angle interpolation using many different algorithms (linear, cosine, cubic-spline) to achieve something pretty realistic and smooth. Keep in mind this is all -very- CPU expensive, despite my best attempts to optimize it intensely.
EmpirezTeam wrote:
Doohl wrote:
With crunch comes an obvious overhead. You want to make a special effect when you collect money? That adds unnecessary CPU load. You want to have pixel projectiles with semi-realistic trajectories and homing mechanics? That adds even more load to your game.

Yes, it adds more load to your game. Pixel movement always adds more load to your game. :)

Would you also agree that those pixel projectiles with constantly-updating angles and icon rotations are pretty CPU-intensive to do on BYOND?

Yes, in comparison to C++, or even C#/Java. Byond is a lot more CPU Intensive and slower.

They use a pretty simple (but expensive) form of spherical angle interpolation using many different algorithms (linear, cosine, cubic-spline) to achieve something pretty realistic and smooth. Keep in mind this is all -very- CPU expensive, despite my best attempts to optimize it intensely.

Once again, Byond is slower than if you were to go out and create your own engine.

Try again.
I'm not sure what purpose your post served.

He told me to point out where he complained about CPU issues. I pointed them out. Why exactly do I have to "try again"? Are you high?
Im so lost with regards to Lavitz reply. he couldve said "Dragonball Z spelled backwards is Duck" and it would've made more sense to me.
EmpirezTeam wrote:
I'm not sure what purpose your post served.

He told me to point out where he complained about CPU issues. I pointed them out. Why exactly do I have to "try again"? Are you high?

The point I was trying to make is that Byond itself is going to be slower than if you created something else using your own engine. While programmers can optimize DM code, just because something has high CPU usage doesn't always mean you have to blame and bash the developer behind the wheel. I just get sick and tired of seeing assholes post on these forums.

Posts like these:
Yut Put wrote:
i'm not sure you really understand how to make a projectile system if simple angled projectiles are using up CPU

EmpirezTeam wrote:
Yut Put wrote:
yeah sorry i didnt mean to point out that projectile systems should be easy to program without high cpu usage, i don't actually know what i'm talking about and you're better off just using your system

Yut Put isn't just firing shots, at this point he's tossing grenades and knifing people in the shins as well.

None of this is helping nor contributing to the post in a meaningful way.

EmpirezTeam wrote:
Lavitiz wrote:
Something that's easy for you isn't going to be easy for everyone.

The fact that it's easy for him but apparently confusing for the OP and probably some more of you is why you should be listening.

Another example, listening to what? Yut Put telling someone they're doing it wrong? I don't see anything useful being posted by either of you. Mostly troll-ish shit that isn't helping anybody.

I rest my case here. I don't have the time or energy-
yutput is god
I wish we could all get along and be good friends =(
In response to WSHGC
WSHGC wrote:
I wish we could all get along and be good friends =(

^
Page: 1 2 3