ID:1660281

Applies to:DM Language

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
In short:
list/.list./datum/smth = list() //.list. means any amount of /list/

smth[x].[.]. = somedatum //.[.]. means any amount of [.], where . is any index.

Will yield an error: "List bounds"

I tried to make new proc for lists, but unfortunately, i may not create new procs for /list.

So, in order to just add new value in existing dynamic multidimensional lists you have to check at least three things (for 2D lists) and that's not OK.

So, i request new Append proc for such lists which will automatically expand list at some dimension and create new list for list at this dimension on some index.

I'm not sure I'm following you, but it sounds like this could be handled with your own datum.

For example, something like this handles resizing a two-dimensional list:
http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=1480536#comment8456281

You could write something similar to automatically resize the multidimensional list to include any new index you add.
Well, i think that should be added in default framework. That (Append and Expand functions) is pretty common in most of programming languages and i don't see any reasons why it shouldn't be in DM language.
Essentially /list is not a proper datum; it does not have support to add new procs. That's something we've wanted to change for some time, but it's been very low-priority. The /savefile type is much the same. You can add procs to /world and /client, although the usefulness of the former is fairly dubious, but those aren't actually true datums either.

Of course, multidimensional lists aren't terribly useful in DM anyway. There's usually a much better way around them.

None of this is to say the feature wouldn't be considered, but just to explain why things are as they are at this point. I do think if you're going to work with multidimensional lists, just having a stable of helper procs for them is a good idea for now. Bear in mind every list consumes some memory, and a multidimensional list is actually a list of lists, so you'd want to make sure you weren't using these in cases that didn't need it.