ID:1660908

(See the best response by Nadrew.)
Code:
mob
verb
OpenHelp()
// Loads up the Help window with info.
usr << output(null,"helpout")
usr << output("<b><u>Getting Started</u></b>","helpout")
//And then it shows up.
winshow(usr,"helptray",1)

Problem description: The verb OpenHelp() is called when a button is pressed on my mainwindow interface object. This populates the output "helpout" in the subwindow (not a pane) "helptray" with text specific to the usr before displaying the subwindow to them.

I have 4 other subwindows in similar setups, all with the same winshow(usr,"subwindow",1) code, and all 4 function as intended: click button, window appears over the main window. Window is closed, the game carries on.

"helptray", however, appears underneath the main window. When it is closed, the game closes (as if .quit has been called). Obviously not a good way to "Get Started" with a game. With no errors at compile time, and nothing obvious standing out, I'm at a loss.

Additional Details: After the inclusion of "helptray" in the interface, the Options and Messages popup aggressively appears overtop my main window, which it did not do before now. Closing the Options and Messages popup ALSO causes the game to shut down.

Any insight into this would be great.

Did you accidentally set 'default' on the helptray window?
The only toggle checked in "helptray"'s first settings tab is Visible. Only "mainwindow" has Default checked.
Best response
Is 'mainwindow' being hidden at any time? The only time Options and Messages appears is if the default window goes invisible. The fact that helptray is closing out the game and caused O&M to appear does indicate that the default setting is being changed on either mainwindow, or helptray at some point.
I had a feeling there was some interface element that was hanging up between "mainwindow" and "helptray", so I copied all of the elements of each window into new windows, re-set their settings, deleted the old ones and renamed them, and this seems to have dealt with the issue.

You're almost certainly right, though, Nadrew: somehow, somewhere along the line, "helptray" was taking on the qualities of a default window.