ID:1661530

Keywords: byond, coding, games, how, make, to
Hi, I've tried watching guides on youtube and reading on byond, I managed to make some icons and make AI and attack them, make stats and some verbs, but I didn't make them I "copied" them I don't know anything...How can I learn? I really want to make a game but seems so hard like I don't know how to make a login screen or launch projetiles or make the "characters" have hair or wear clothes...I feel so out of knowledge I have 0 programming experience and I just started today but I have no idea how to learn :(
For example I tried to do stuff like
If [usr] (then I wanted to follow as, clicks on the new/load/quit but...I don't know)
Watching someone do it, and copying a part of it is okay, as long as you can modify it, and learn from doing that. Also did you try reading the BYOND docs? or while in dream maker you can press F1 and scroll around,read. See what you need, and what does what. Doing projectiles and wearing clothes, there is no right way to do it. You need to experiment, for projectiles you would make some kind of an object that will go in the direction that you are facing, for clothes for e.g you need to play with overlays.

Try reading these:
http://www.byond.com/docs/ref/
http://www.byond.com/docs/guide/
They have pretty much everything that you need to know, and they have great examples as well

Hope I helped.
first off the last thing you want to make is a log in screen. I personally would hold that off until you launch the game. It just gets in the way when you are testing. Eventualy when you have enough content where saving is necassary, thats when you put saving in. No point to save when you have one monster, or leveling progressio takes less then 15mins to get to max level. Get some content done, then worry about saves and do the login screen last
if you want help, you also got to start from the basics. erase all of your copied code. If you need help message me and i can explain a process you want to do. As long as its simple. Also a lot of tutorials on here are garbage. I saw like healthbar code that was done in about 50-100 lines, mine is less then 10 and it works a lot better then the 50-100 line one, and is much simpler to understand(besides the math, the coding is simpler though).

Doesnt mean someone has this big massive code, doesnt mean its the best way or simpliest way to do it. Thats what i learnt when i started learning Because there is a lot of garbage code i have seen on tons of tutorials where i wonder why they are even doing that way or why they are adding these extras that they dont really need.

In response to Anthonytyran
Anthonytyran wrote:
Also a lot of tutorials on here are garbage. I saw like healthbar code that was done in about 50-100 lines, mine is less then 10 and it works a lot better then the 50-100 line one, and is much simpler to understand(besides the math, the coding is simpler though).

Do you mind linking me to this tutorial (I'm curious). Also, are you sure it is a tutorial or a demo? There is a difference between the two.

Also, less lines does not necessarily mean it's more 'better' or efficient. For example, having the healthbar update is WAYYYYY less efficient than having it update on the appropriate procedure which gains/losses that stat value (ex: TakeHP() -> Take away HP -> Update HP bar).